A long, long time ago...

Cricket, footy, tennis, whatever
J.D.
Rat

A long, long time ago...

Post by J.D. »

Most of you guys won't remember this. I do. I've never been a power boat person but I've always admired this effort for what it was. I've seen Warby's craft in the Australian Maritime Museum in Darling Harbour and can't believe how little it looks like a boat.

[youtube] [/youtube]

Some have tried since but nobody has succeeded. And a few have even died trying.
With an approximate fatality rate of 85% since 1940, the record is one of the sporting world's most hazardous competitions.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Water_spee ... _Challenge" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Watching the first run in his second attempt just scares the crap out of me. I remember the boat rocking from side to side but not that violently. I can't imagine how he maintained control of the thing. It would have been a terrifying ride. The final run, which was easily the fastest he ever did was a cakewalk by comparison.

The engine was an obsolete Westinghouse J34 from a Lockheed Neptune. It developed only about 3,000lbs of thrust, which would be a rough equivalent at that speed of about 5,000hp. As far as I know it actually ran on petrol rather than kero.
сначала мы убиваем американского лося и белку.

"Journalism is printing what someone else does not want printed. Everything else is public relations." - George Orwell.

Proudly never a mod or admin at RSC from 2001 - 2009.
wobblysauce
Seen it, Done it, Invented it!

Re: A long, long time ago...

Post by wobblysauce »

Good to watch when they go right, but even just a little wind can make it go terribly wrong.

Real edge of your pants stuff, when I was a little kid I had a remote control Warby boat.. great little boat.
Some play it safe on the merry-go-round, others go for the thrills of the roller-coaster.

ᕙ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ᕗ vs ლ(ಠ益ಠ)ლ

I have a joke for you. I have a prediction that you are going to walk into a bar, my prediction was wrong and your wallet is gone.
Righteous
Master artist
Master artist

Post by Righteous »

wobblysauce wrote:Real edge of your pants stuff
Awesome!

I've heard of edge of your seat or flying by the seat of your pants, but not a combination.

Power boats scare me. Mostly because if they stack you've, first, got to survive the crash, then you need to try to not drown.
ysu
Smooth Lubricator.

Post by ysu »

Pretty wobbly, even on those calm waters.
scary shit, you need big balls and a bit of experience... :up:
Surprise, no sig. Now there is. Or is there?
w00dsy
The Senna of Hoppers Crossing

A long, long time ago...

Post by w00dsy »

Righteous wrote:
Awesome!

I've heard of edge of your seat or flying by the seat of your pants, but not a combination.

Power boats scare me. Mostly because if they stack you've, first, got to survive the crash, then you need to try to not drown.

That's because it scores a doubly wobbly on the danger scale.
mrleisure

Post by mrleisure »

Yep awesome for sure :yes: . I've seen the boat at the museum also . I couldn't believe how fragile it looked , made out of thin timber from what I could see .
"There is a grey blur and green blur . I try to stay on the grey one...." Joey Dunlop IoM TT Legend

"You work for the line.. you own the line .. you defend that hard fought line." Steer
wobblysauce
Seen it, Done it, Invented it!

Post by wobblysauce »

Couldn't decide on what quote to use so I merged them.. :P

Light weight materials for sure.
Some play it safe on the merry-go-round, others go for the thrills of the roller-coaster.

ᕙ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ᕗ vs ლ(ಠ益ಠ)ლ

I have a joke for you. I have a prediction that you are going to walk into a bar, my prediction was wrong and your wallet is gone.
Oggie

Post by Oggie »

In some respects, I think Donald Campbell's achievements are more impressive. He held both the land and water speed records (set in Western Australia, no less! :lol: ) in 1964. Considering the level of technology they had back then, the speeds he achieved are quite remarkable.
- Peter Ogden
J.D.
Rat

Post by J.D. »

Campbell's achievements were many and over a longer period. It ran in the family and in some ways the father was exceeded by the son (more records, certainly). I have no intention of degrading what he did but Warby did this on a shoestring with backdoor support from the RAAF. The engine wasn't even functional when he took delivery of it. This was done on a baling wire and string budget. Warby's boyhood hero was Donald Campbell so you could almost say Campbell had a part in this one too.

I believe the boat is now with Ken Warby in the US. It was built mostly from plywood as far as I can tell. That rear wing would have had to be very precisely set. God knows how long it took them to set that up.

I have always regarded Blowering Dam as a bit of holy ground (water). I've never been there but the pictures I've seen of it show it to be quite small, at least in reservoir terms.

Lee Taylor, whose record Warby broke, was killed in his next attempt in 1980. Craig Arfons, nephew of Art Arfons, was also killed in another attempt in 1989.
Last edited by J.D. on Thu Mar 17, 2011 9:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

"Journalism is printing what someone else does not want printed. Everything else is public relations." - George Orwell.

w00dsy

A long, long time ago...

Post by w00dsy »

I've always felt part of the achievement is not only the speed reached, but surviving. Land speed record books are littered with deaths of people who couldn't stop pushing the boundaries.
norbs
fucking right wing vegan lesbian

Post by norbs »

J.D. wrote:Campbell's achievements were many and over a longer period. It ran in the family and in some ways the father was exceeded by the son (more records, certainly). I have no intention of degrading what he did but Warby did this on a shoestring with backdoor support from the RAAF. The engine wasn't even functional when he took delivery of it. This was done on a bailing wire and string budget. Warby's boyhood hero was Donald Campbell so you could almost say Campbell had a part in this one too.

I believe the boat is now with Ken Warby in the US. It was built mostly from plywood as far as I can tell. That rear wing would have had to be very precisely set. God knows how long it took them to set that up.

I have always regarded Blowering Dam as a bit of holy ground (water). I've never been there but the pictures I've seen of it show it to be quite small, at least in reservoir terms.

Lee Taylor, whose record Warby broke, was killed in his next attempt in 1980. Craig Arfons, nephew of Art Arfons, was also killed in another attempt in 1989.

Fucking dangerous place. I was getting towed behind a speedy speedboat on an inner tube and flew off and into the water with so much speed I tore the skin on my eye lid and split my lip open. Lucky I was full of rum at the time. :)
Sarc ; my second favourite type of gasm.
DexterPunk
Busted ARSE

Post by DexterPunk »

Righteous wrote:
Awesome!

:rofl: i dribbled coke on myself a bit trying not to spit it all over the screen.
norbs
fucking right wing vegan lesbian

Post by norbs »

wobblysauce wrote:Good to watch when they go right, but even just a little wind can make it go terribly wrong.

Real edge of your pants stuff, when I was a little kid I had a remote control Warby boat.. great little boat.

Yeah...

Sarc ; my second favourite type of gasm.
w00dsy

Post by w00dsy »

i was so edge of my pants watching it i nearly fell into my pocket.
bengatta
Ladies Motorkhana Champion

Post by bengatta »

w00dsy wrote:i was so edge of my pants watching it i nearly fell into my pocket.
Really, I was over the sun in the dead of day...
They say, any day you wake up not dead is the start of a better day than it could be...

You don't need a parachute to skydive, you only need a parachute to skydive twice...

You're never too old to learn something stupid....
J.D.
Rat

Post by J.D. »

I was so on the edge of my pants my builder's bum was holding its breath...
norbs wrote:Fucking dangerous place. I was getting towed behind a speedy speedboat on an inner tube and flew off and into the water with so much speed I tore the skin on my eye lid and split my lip open. Lucky I was full of rum at the time. :)
You need Wobbledock's handlebars.
w00dsy wrote:I've always felt part of the achievement is not only the speed reached, but surviving. Land speed record books are littered with deaths of people who couldn't stop pushing the boundaries.
Yeah, people will tell you that Craig Arfons was doing 380mph when he crashed but the highest I've seen reliably is about 310. That's no mean feat but to be the World Record holder you have to complete the course. Otherwise Warby's record would have been 345mph (555kph), wouldn't it?

What you say is spot on Woodsy. In Warby's first record he backed off before reaching the timing zone on his second run because of chop. Discretion, as they say, is the better part of valour. Maybe that's why he's still kickin'.
Last edited by J.D. on Thu Mar 17, 2011 9:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Righteous
Master artist
Master artist

Post by Righteous »

norbs wrote:
wobblysauce wrote:Good to watch when they go right, but even just a little wind can make it go terribly wrong.

Yeah...

:D :rofl: