ARSEcyclist Racing Thread

CyclARSEts talk in here.
norbs
fucking right wing vegan lesbian

Re: ARSEcyclist Racing Thread

Post by norbs »

CLP wrote:
norbs wrote:In theory, yes. 220 less your age is one very very basic way to calculate it. The following is from this article http://www.bikeradar.com/fitness/articl ... sics-28838" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
<snip>
I tried that and got my heart rate up to 188. The basic way above suggests it is 220-44= 176BPM.

Good point on roadie vs MTB. I haven't yet ridden a MTB or CX bike with a HRM. I do remember riding in the old days, about 20 years ago, and my heart rate would be really high at times, just from trying to blast up a long hill on a fire trail. You are using a lot more strength on a MTB than you do on the roadie.

Keep at it mate. It looks like great fun. I would have a crack at it, but it means driving over an hour each way to get to the closest club. Bugger that. Also, I would probably kill myself. :)
oo.. haven't seen that version before, Cheers, .. though having just calculated it, it works out to be approximately the same +/- 1bpm
On top of that, it feels about right.. after a hard effort the up a hill or on a sprint the i can sometimes see 185 or so, but never higher.. kind of a non scientific version of the test you outlined.

depending on the event, could be worth the hour each way .. might be fun to try it out :)

I am in the process of bring the old MTB back from being a single speed to a 21 speed. If that goes ok I might give it a shot. I need to work more on fitness and losing weight though, or I will be finishing 3 laps down, not just one. :)
Sarc ; my second favourite type of gasm.
CLP
C grade super domestique

Post by CLP »

norbs wrote: I am in the process of bring the old MTB back from being a single speed to a 21 speed. If that goes ok I might give it a shot. I need to work more on fitness and losing weight though, or I will be finishing 3 laps down, not just one. :)
Finishing 3 laps down is part of the fun.. heckling from spectators is encouraged in cyclocross, especially towards the tail end of hte field, so you'll just end up being the crowd favourite :D
norbs

Post by norbs »

CLP wrote:
norbs wrote: I am in the process of bring the old MTB back from being a single speed to a 21 speed. If that goes ok I might give it a shot. I need to work more on fitness and losing weight though, or I will be finishing 3 laps down, not just one. :)
Finishing 3 laps down is part of the fun.. heckling from spectators is encouraged in cyclocross, especially towards the tail end of hte field, so you'll just end up being the crowd favourite :D
With my short career in stand up, that could end badly. :D
CLP
C grade super domestique

Post by CLP »

Cyclocross! Round 3 of the PACC CX TwiLite series was held on Tuesday.

Numbers in the open event were down a bit on previous round.. perhaps people were still returning from the TDU stage or poking around in the Tour Village

This course had some long straight sections as well as some tight technical bits. Two climbs up Mulch Hill, and the barriers placed just before a sandy section putting the remount location in a difficult location. After a pretty warm day, there was a prediction for a bit of rain, but that never eventuated.

The race started pretty much as predicted, with the fast guys burning off the front and into the distance. For some reason i found myself in a familiar position in no mans land.. far too slow to keep with the fast guys, but too fast to stick with the slower riders. For about half a lap i had a youngster on my tail about 50 metres back, but i think he might have over extended himself trying to keep up. Perfomance-wise i'm happy that i managed to ride each Mulch hill climb.. something that i'd practised, though more difficult when they put in S-bends to limit your run up space!

Over the course of the event we had an increase in spectators, many taking up residence on top of mulch hill, cheering, heckling and drinking beer.. Woot! how awesome is cyclocross? No offers of a beer hand up though.. poor form in that regard. :lol:

I eventually got lapped, but I also managed to lap Miss V.. which apparently meant i had to make dinner according to people on top of mulch hill.. not sure how that works...

9th place overall, which i'm happy enough with!

strava stats
race animation
PACC race report

Me getting wheelspin up Mulch Hill
CLP_CX_mulch_hill.jpg
Miss V making Mulch Hill look easy :)
miss_V_CX_mulch_hill.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
wobblysauce
Seen it, Done it, Invented it!

Post by wobblysauce »

Clp, Top stuff, so what was for dinner?
Some play it safe on the merry-go-round, others go for the thrills of the roller-coaster.

ᕙ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ᕗ vs ლ(ಠ益ಠ)ლ

I have a joke for you. I have a prediction that you are going to walk into a bar, my prediction was wrong and your wallet is gone.
CLP
C grade super domestique

Post by CLP »

Cyclo Sportif - Round 3 - The Range

Lined up for the next installment of the Cyclo Sportif Series on Sunday morning on a course that was essentially on the back end of Willunga Hill. The course could best be described as undulating, with a final kick at the end of the lap.

Having been promoted to B-grade I was now part of a brand new team, named PACC's Homeless Hobos .. named so because we're too quick for C grade, but would be too slow for A grade.. so we don't really belong in any of the existing teams. We were down in numbers 6 out of a possible 9 riders, so we were at a bit of a disadvantage from the get-go

First lap felt like we were really pushing hard, but at the same time we were trying to sort ourselves out as a team.. Finally getting a nice rotating paceline going. Bit of experience on my behalf and another guy with riding in this style, but i think we're getting the hang of it.

Second lap felt slower, but was fast on the clock. I think we were riding smoother and the paceline was working better...

both laps we were slowed up by one of the weaker climbers, but hopefully she'll train a bit and get better before the next round at Williamstown :)

we came in 15th out of 17 in B-grade, and similarly didn't rate in the Mixed teams, which i think was a little disappointing... but that being said we came in over 10 minutes ahead of PACC consolidated C-grade team (which included Miss V) .. so the decision to create a new team seems justified

Stravaliciousness
CLP
C grade super domestique

Post by CLP »

Cyclocross -14th Feb 2012

had been looking forward to this one... last round of the summer series. The course had been announced yesterday and it looked a lot like the scribblings of a crazy person. 3 climbs up Mulch hill :eyepop: . I never really got a good run up there during practice, with LittleCrossers getting in my way and people crashing in front of me, but given past performance i figured i'd be ok and could make up some time going up there. No barriers to deal with today, so that was a relief! :D

Line up at the start, front row.. sweet :D

we take off, and i'm reasonably holding my own for a while, then some of the faster guys who started further back began passing me. no stress, not going to try to race those guys! cruising along on the straight approaching the first climb of mulch hill when it sounds like the back end of my bike has exploded. I think i went over a rock or tree root and it's sliced a 1-2 inch gash in the sidewall of the tyre and tube. race done. total race time, approximately 2 minutes.

Mangled mess!
IMG_0281_0800.jpg
Unsurprisingly, slime tubes couldn't handle this size cut :P
IMG_0283_0800.jpg
Don't think i'll be buying these tyres again!
IMG_0284_0800.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
norbs

Post by norbs »

Bad luck Carl. It wasnt a tree root though, it was POWER!!!!!
CLP
C grade super domestique

Post by CLP »

norbs wrote:Bad luck Carl. It wasnt a tree root though, it was POWER!!!!!
:rofl: i like your version of events much better! :D
CLP
C grade super domestique

Post by CLP »

Cyclo Sportif - Round 6 - The Range

Having missed out on one round (planned absence) and another round being cancelled, we were back at the range for the next Cyclo Sportif. Sadly, numbers seem to be dwindling, and the B grade team that i was with the last time couldn't get the minimum number of riders (5) so we joined in the consolidated C grade team.. the PACC Ratbags.

2 laps of the range to look forward to.. a little on the chilly side so i got to try out my new PACC fleece arm warmers (made by champion systems).. sensational, and highly recommended.

Being C grade there was a bit of a mix of abilities.. and health levels with a couple of people (including Miss V) coming off colds and flus.. so we constantly had people popping off the back and needing to be retrieved and brought back to the group. That tends to be my job when i'm racing in C grade.. so i did that. No point racing off the front since we're timed on the whole team getting over the line.

in the end we did the 2 laps in 1 hour 17 minutes or somewhere near that. Not stunningly quick.. but we got there :)

and i got my first cycling trophy :) "C grade super domestique" :rofl:

Strava
Sportif_25Mar2012_picture-58.jpg
Last edited by CLP on Sun Mar 25, 2012 11:10 pm, edited 2 times in total.
norbs

Post by norbs »

Well done Carlos. And congrats on the trophy and rank.

Just noticed we are within a few kms off each other again. :) I cant shake you. :shake:
Enforcer-J

Post by Enforcer-J »

Congrats Cyclocarl!
CLP
C grade super domestique

Post by CLP »

norbs wrote: Just noticed we are within a few kms off each other again. :) I cant shake you. :shake:
reckon i might have a bit to do to catch up once you go on Norbs and Woodsy's Excellent Adventure later in the year..

was poking about earlier and it seem the strava year to date total isn't quite right. garmin connect says i've done 2,107.98 km, the strava and garmin connect monthly totals seem to match up, but the strava year to date total is 2090km ...

(and another small quirk, if i go into my training page on strava it lists my yearly total as 2108km.. consistent with the garmin connect numbers)

argh! too difficult.. just keep ridin'
markus

Post by markus »

Today I'm exactly "two months from peaking", will be doing this on 27th May with a polish colleague of mine :)
Much cycling such kilometers.
norbs

Post by norbs »

markus wrote:Today I'm exactly "two months from peaking", will be doing this on 27th May with a polish colleague of mine :)
Is that a 135km race then a 65km race?
markus

Post by markus »

norbs wrote:
markus wrote:Today I'm exactly "two months from peaking", will be doing this on 27th May with a polish colleague of mine :)
Two separate races, the 135km race we are participating and then the 65km which is more of a leisurely ride.
norbs

Post by norbs »

markus wrote:
norbs wrote:
Two separate races, the 135km race we are participating and then the 65km which is more of a leisurely ride.
Nice. Let us know how you go. And get on Strava if you aren't already. :)
markus

Post by markus »

norbs wrote:
I'm on Strava. The hatred is mutual - unlike all the other sites I'm using like Garmin, Fitocracy, Bikejournal, Trainerroad, etc. it's touch and go with my Garmin 500 and Strava. This time I ended up with a bunch of 0 hour 0 km rides and several "error, missing altitude information" rides.
norbs

Post by norbs »

markus wrote:
norbs wrote:
I'm on Strava. The hatred is mutual - unlike all the other sites I'm using like Garmin, Fitocracy, Bikejournal, Trainerroad, etc. it's touch and go with my Garmin 500 and Strava. This time I ended up with a bunch of 0 hour 0 km rides and several "error, missing altitude information" rides.

Just noticed that. Very weird.
markus

Post by markus »

norbs wrote:
markus wrote:
norbs wrote:

Just noticed that. Very weird.
I had a closer look at those. I think it's because now during the winter my rides are done on either the rollers or on the trainer...and Strava only uses gps for speed and distance - whilst the others use the calculated distance and speed from a cadence sensor (the 0 km rides have cadence and heart rate info). Also what bugs me quite a bit is that Strava can't pick the correct bike, it is present on the garmin 500 file...
CLP
C grade super domestique

Post by CLP »

markus wrote: I had a closer look at those. I think it's because now during the winter my rides are done on either the rollers or on the trainer...and Strava only uses gps for speed and distance - whilst the others use the calculated distance and speed from a cadence sensor (the 0 km rides have cadence and heart rate info). Also what bugs me quite a bit is that Strava can't pick the correct bike, it is present on the garmin 500 file...
not sure that's right. pretty certain that strava uses the measured speed and distance from the sensor if one is present.

see this ride: http://app.strava.com/activities/4913263" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
if strava used gps for speed and distance, then you'd see spikes in the speed plot, and the distance would easily be more than doubled.

i have definitely seen stationary trainer rides that contain speed data. (see here: http://app.strava.com/rides/4844735" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;)
CLP
C grade super domestique

Post by CLP »

heads up for Hz and En-J .. (and anyone else in ADL!)
first CX race of the winter season (technically a warm up event) is on next saturday (21st april) .. and .. free entry! :D

You still need a License though, so it's not all roses, but if you guys already have a AMTB license then you can use that :) otherwise you can get a CA 3 race permit to cover you (~$44). They also have a coaching session prior to the race if you want to get some tips and tricks :)

entry here:
https://sitedesq.imgstg.com/eventsregfo ... OrgID=8731" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

info here:
http://cx.pacc.org.au/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.adelaidecyclists.com/events/ ... up-cx-race" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
CLP
C grade super domestique

Post by CLP »

Cyclo Sportif - Round 7 - Williamstown

Numbers looking a bit thin now with the road race season starting and people not continuing. from the 5 teams PACC had at the start of the series we were down to 2. One womens and one consolidated A, B, C grade mixed team. in total we had 8 riders in our team, consisting of 1 super slow guy, one super fast A grader and the rest mid level. Interesting mix :) The A grade rider took to physically pushing the slow guy up the hills :D

2 Laps of the circuit including Whispering Wall which can give the course a bit of a kick towards the end of the lap. As a team, generally a bit messy, but much improved from the last time we were here in November last year, and about a 7 minute improvement. Not too stressful for me on the whole, and quite enjoyable :)

Stravatacular stats

PACC Ratbags team shot.... FYI, guy on the front is 75 :fall:
CycloSportif_Ratbags_15_April_2012_800.jpg
Fast guy pushing the slow guy :)
CycloSportif_15_April_2012_picture-59.jpg
CLP
C grade super domestique

Post by CLP »

CX is back! :vibes:

First race of the Port Adelaide CC Winter CX season. This one was essentially a test/warm up event, so entry was free! :D and all prizes were beer! :D how awesome is CX?

I'd been looking forward to the return of winter CX for a while, since they use longer courses than the summer series.. unfortunately i came down with a cold about 2 days ago.. typical :(

One of the new things that they were trying was a C grade.. (previously it was Open Class, A and B grade CX) .. this new C grade was intended for the slower B grade CX riders, and the slower Open riders and would be a shorter event (~15 minutes). Given how i was feeling, i thought a shorter race would work out well. On sign on i noticed that i was listed in Open Class with all the fast MTBers.. Argh! Minimum of 30 minute race coming up. I guess i should take that as a compliment.. right?

Lined up, and we were started. Soon became apparent that there was maybe 2 others at my pace, the rest scorched off into the distance. About 1/2 way through the first lap i knew i had pretty much nothing in me, so i simply maintained as fast pace as i comfortably could and kept at it. I think i came dead last, lapped once. :melt:

interesting course.. and probably could have enjoyed it a bit better if i was in more optimal health!

Strava stuff
Race Animation
IMGP3610_0800.jpg
Few more shots taken by me :) first cycling outing with my new camera :)

This guy is awesome..
IMGP5278_0800.jpg
Cresting Mulch Hill
IMGP5361_0800.jpg
Panning shot! Woot!
IMGP5394_0800.jpg
Olympic hopeful Alex Edmondson came out and borrowed a bike to have a crack at CX
IMGP5434_0800.jpg
CLP
C grade super domestique

Post by CLP »

CycloSportif - Round 8 - The Range

well, all good things must come to an end, and so we came to the end of the Cyclosportif series. Driving up through the hills to get to the start location we were greeted with a light, but constant drizzle, much to Miss V's disgust as she cleaned her bike only late last night.

Hopes were high for a quick ride, with 3 laps of the The Range to test us out having being put into B grade. Sadly the C grade team didn't have enough people so we combined teams and created a big C grade team (with one guy from Kilkenny CC joining us for the day too). We had one complete newbie this morning who appeared fairly underdone in prep and was very slow on the hills. So i (once again) spent most of my time pacing people back to the group.. I think for next series i'll have to practise pushing people .. i think that might help matters a lot!

pretty reasonable, if a little slow, team ride.

on the upside, Miss V rolled out her 800th km for the month, completing her Ride Hard to Breathe Easy Strava challenge.. so we had a bit of a cheer as she crossed that mark on the course! :D

fairly uninspiring Strava data

PACC Ratbags looking sharp :)
picture-12.jpg
Last edited by CLP on Mon Apr 30, 2012 2:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.