Bikey Booty!!!! What you got fool?

CyclARSEts talk in here.
hutchy

Re: Bikey Booty!!!! What you got fool?

Post by hutchy »

pixelboy wrote:Funny they are doing recalls on stuff like that. 20 years ago that would have been "wear and tear".
It may have to do with a fatality a couple of years back in Canberra. Carbon forks failed :(
Duke
Dukester Maldonado
Dukester Maldonado

Post by Duke »

How about this, friggin scary!!!

Dukester

norbs diplomacy lesson 101: "If I was putting words in your mouth, you'd know."
hutchy

Post by hutchy »

Duke wrote:How about this, friggin scary!!!

:eyepop: :eyepop: :yikes: :yikes:
CLP
C grade super domestique

Post by CLP »

Duke wrote:How about this, friggin scary!!!
it's interesting in that video that the expert dude talks about the resins coping with ~100 degrees (C) temperature. The Caden wheels i have claim to have been tested to at least 200-ish. Not sure what to believe there. That said, I'm conscious of the heat build up and typically try to brake in a way that allows some time for the rim to cool. Not sure how effective I am on that as i typically don't test my brake temp as i'm descending :/

Only one time i've actually been concerned (and maybe it was just me being overly cautious having purchased new carbon rims). On a utterly crazy hot summer day i went down a road that i'd never been down, so i was dragging the brakes a bit more than usual. I got to the bottom and checked the brake track, and it was as expected, pretty damn hot. I doubt that i'd have even bothered to check an alloy brake track ..
Duke
Dukester Maldonado
Dukester Maldonado

Post by Duke »

Got me some Northwave Extreme GT shows off ebay for $150, 2nd hand but unused from what I can see.
Can be hard to find shoes in my size (EUR 48/49) let alone with any Carbon in the soles. :D

Dukester

Duke
Dukester Maldonado
Dukester Maldonado

Post by Duke »

Dukester

Duke
Dukester Maldonado
Dukester Maldonado

Post by Duke »

Got these last week to replace my single sided Stages Gen 2.
Assioma.jpg
First ride yesterday with them yesterday has me now studying what the fark do Torque Effectiveness & Pedal Smoothing actually mean wrt to my numbers...
If anyone else knows give me some details to speed up the learning, more importantly do they even matter?
(I think I know the answer is that they really don't but want to seek the guru's opinions here).
EDIT: Just found this, now to understand it: https://www.cyclinganalytics.com/blog/2 ... smoothness
FAR.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Dukester

CLP
C grade super domestique

Post by CLP »

i think this is the thing with all these Garmin Cycling Dynamics metrics that are out there.. no one really knows how to use them. No doubt, they measure a real-thing, but how to interpret it is a bit confusing. There's been an ongoing commentary on DC Rainmaker about exactly that.

something i note though is your L/R balance. You've mentioned before that your single sided stages wasn't consistent with your trainer... if the stages was reading low, then maybe there's the source of the error?
norbs
fucking right wing vegan lesbian

Post by norbs »

CLP wrote:i think this is the thing with all these Garmin Cycling Dynamics metrics that are out there.. no one really knows how to use them. No doubt, they measure a real-thing, but how to interpret it is a bit confusing. There's been an ongoing commentary on DC Rainmaker about exactly that.

something i note though is your L/R balance. You've mentioned before that your single sided stages wasn't consistent with your trainer... if the stages was reading low, then maybe there's the source of the error?
Bolded for truth.

The metrics stuff is nice to have, but I really cant see a lot of use for it unless you are training and looking for marginal gains. I think it was a TrainerRoad blog post that went right into it a while back. Was really interesting, but overall, pretty much numbers for the sake of numbers. Like Flow and Grit on the new garmin head units.
Sarc ; my second favourite type of gasm.
Duke
Dukester Maldonado
Dukester Maldonado

Post by Duke »

Without going to far down a lot of rabbit holes, yes I did test & know my Stages single sided crank based PM was indicating quite a bit lower (10%-20%) than my Elite Direto Smart Trainer.
I verified it using dual recording analysed on ZP: https://www.zwiftpower.com/analysis.php?set_id=28109 & https://www.zwiftpower.com/analysis.php?set_id=27771

As you know without a 3rd source you can't verify which is not as accurate as the other, one might be reading low the other reading high. However DC Rainmaker has verified there are inherent issues with singe sided crank based PM's in that they do generally record low, especially if you are right leg dominant as the PM is on the left crank & simply doubles the recorded value.

So now I have a 3rd source I will be doing a comparison between the Assioma's & the Stages then the Assioma's & the Elite Trainer while on Zwift. Unfortunately I can't record a 3rd source simultaneously unless I can get hold of another modern head unit. Once I have these it should provide for a good analysis of what is out of step to the other (I hope).
I do suspect the Stages is the outlier but I'll let the data tell me so.

As for the cycling analytics, after reading a bit last night I understand what they are measuring but as most conversations to date have highlighted. How do you improve on them & do they even provide much benefit in fitness, speed, strength, efficiency if you do improve them? Like norbs said it looks to be very marginal gains if any at all but I am interested in how the current metrics & maybe new ones get derived, quantified & clarified in the next few years.

This chart shows the power being applied to a pedal by a leg in a typical rotation of the cranks. It starts off positively on the downward movement, but there is a negative component in the second half of the rotation if the pedal isn’t completely unloaded or lifted up.

P+ is the power pushing the pedal forward, while P− is the power pushing the pedal in the opposite direction. Pmax is the maximum power applied to the pedal during the stroke, while Pavg is the average power applied to the pedal in the stroke.

Torque effectiveness measures how much of the power delivered to the pedal is pushing it forward. It is calculated as (P+ + P−) / P+ and is normally displayed as a percentage (P− will be a negative value or zero). A value of 100% means that all of the power was pushing the pedal in a positive direction (therefore, P− was zero). Values of 60–100% are common.

Pedal smoothness measures how smoothly power is delivered to the pedal throughout the revolution. It is calculated as Pavg / Pmax and is normally displayed as a percentage. A value of 100% means that the power is delivered constantly throughout the revolution. Values of 10–40% are common.
Last edited by Duke on Tue Oct 13, 2020 11:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
Dukester

CLP
C grade super domestique

Post by CLP »

Duke wrote: Unfortunately I can't record a 3rd source simultaneously unless I can get hold of another modern head unit.
if you have an android phone/tablet with ant+ you can use ipwatts to record all 3 at the same time.
norbs

Post by norbs »

CLP wrote:
Duke wrote: Unfortunately I can't record a 3rd source simultaneously unless I can get hold of another modern head unit.
if you have an android phone/tablet with ant+ you can use ipwatts to record all 3 at the same time.

Not working with BT yet? :(
Duke
Dukester Maldonado
Dukester Maldonado

Post by Duke »

CLP wrote:
Oh thanks CLP, I will look into that. :yes:
Dukester

CLP
C grade super domestique

Post by CLP »

norbs wrote:
CLP wrote:

Not working with BT yet? :(
Actually, i think it does. :)
norbs

Post by norbs »

Just dug through a few emails about it and this from the Sufferfest

https://cycling.favero.com/blog/tech-te ... ro-assioma

It reminded me that the one useful metric, PCO, isnt done by the Ferrero Rochers
norbs

Post by norbs »

CLP wrote:
Actually, i think it does. :)

Excellent. I looked a little while back for Dan as he now has 3 to check :)
Duke
Dukester Maldonado
Dukester Maldonado

Post by Duke »

norbs wrote:Just dug through a few emails about it and this from the Sufferfest

It reminded me that the one useful metric, PCO, isnt done by the Ferrero Rochers
What's PCO?

Also the link posted is to Favero not SUF...?
Dukester

CLP
C grade super domestique

Post by CLP »

Duke wrote:

What's PCO?

Platform centre Offset :)
Duke
Dukester Maldonado
Dukester Maldonado

Post by Duke »

CLP wrote:
Duke wrote:

What's PCO?

Platform centre Offset :)
Oh yes I saw that on one of Lama's video's. Again I can't see how that is meaningful especially on a dynamic outdoor ride.
Unless it has been proven that a perfectly centered application of force means more power with no more effort.
Dukester

Duke
Dukester Maldonado
Dukester Maldonado

Post by Duke »

Ipwatts still only ANT+ but that's fine as ANT+ is a one to many connection protocol.
Dukester

norbs

Post by norbs »

Duke wrote: Oh yes I saw that on one of Lama's video's. Again I can't see how that is meaningful especially on a dynamic outdoor ride.
Unless it has been proven that a perfectly centered application of force means more power with no more effort.

Just about fit more than anything.

That link was sent to me by the guys at The Sufferfest. maybe neal Henderson.
CLP
C grade super domestique

Post by CLP »

Duke wrote:Ipwatts still only ANT+ but that's fine as ANT+ is a one to many connection protocol.
Are you sure?
i just looked at mine (ipsensorman) and it has the options to add both bluetooth and/or add btle
CLP
C grade super domestique

Post by CLP »

norbs wrote: Just about fit more than anything.
pretty much this.

it'll also point out how it changes with fatigue and/or if it varies with power output.

The other metrics are similar, in that they can help identify performance related issues that are related to fatigue/power/cadence. I don' think any of the analysis stuff on the Garmin connect site can help with that however. You might be able to get something out of it on Golden Cheetah eg. plotting Torque effectiveness vs Slope for example might yield something interesting. what you do with that information, I have no idea :D
Duke
Dukester Maldonado
Dukester Maldonado

Post by Duke »

CLP wrote:
Duke wrote:Ipwatts still only ANT+ but that's fine as ANT+ is a one to many connection protocol.
Are you sure?
i just looked at mine (ipsensorman) and it has the options to add both bluetooth and/or add btle
Umm, the ipsensorman might but the website still says ipWatts uses IpSensorMan to do the actual ANT interfacing you will be prompted to install it if you don't have it. You will need an ANT capable phone or a USB ANT stick and a USB Host capable phone.
Dukester

CLP
C grade super domestique

Post by CLP »

Duke wrote:
CLP wrote:
Are you sure?
Umm, the ipsensorman might but the website still says ipWatts uses IpSensorMan to do the actual ANT interfacing you will be prompted to install it if you don't have it. You will need an ANT capable phone or a USB ANT stick and a USB Host capable phone.
i might be able to test it later.
as long as IPSensorman can see it, IPWatts will be able to display and record it