1994 Adelaide F1 GP

ARSE's photographers and arts forum
Pinger$

1994 Adelaide F1 GP

Post by Pinger$ »

Hi All,

I've asked my mate for permission to put these up here. They're also on overclockers... Anyway, here goes...
oli wrote: Hi all! I've got something any F1 fans will be interested.

I've got an Uncle from Germany who is one of the most senior F1 photographers around. He's been shooting since 1978 and has covered over 400 races around the world. When I was young I saw him every year as he was in Adelaide for the GP. Once the race was stolen from us by Jeff Kennett I only saw my Uncle when I was in Germany and he happened to be there at the same time. Now we just keep in touch on Facebook.

During a recent clean out I found a bag of old slides he left in Adelaide in 1994. These were discarded images he didn't want and gave to me. I scanned them all the other day and after checking with him decided to put them online.

To set the tone:

1994 Australian F1. It's the last race of the 1994 season held on one of the best street circuits in the world: the Adelaide Street Circuit. Spectator numbers are high and Jeff Kennett hasn't stolen the GP for Melbourne yet. Prost has retired and a tragic season is coming to an end: Ratzenberger and Senna have died in crashes. Mansell wins the race after a controversial incident resulting in both Schumacher and Hill retiring from the race. Schumacher wins the season.

1994 Australian Grand Prix page on Wikipedia.

I haven't sorted these out and there might be some duplicates. They were left here because they weren't the best photos so no complaining.

Here are the photos.

All photos copyright Lukas Gorys. Again: I have permission to put these online!
Luigi only likes Ferraris.
wobblysauce
Seen it, Done it, Invented it!

Re: 1994 Adelaide F1 GP

Post by wobblysauce »

Quite a few nice pics.
Some play it safe on the merry-go-round, others go for the thrills of the roller-coaster.

ᕙ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ᕗ vs ლ(ಠ益ಠ)ლ

I have a joke for you. I have a prediction that you are going to walk into a bar, my prediction was wrong and your wallet is gone.
matticooper

Post by matticooper »

awesome photos to look through. Cars in 2011 are poles apart from those gems back in 1994... ta :yes:
KNAPPO
Master artist
Master artist

Post by KNAPPO »

Super cool, thanks heaps for sharing those with us.

One of my Flickr contacts '.Stupix' has some great shots from Adelaide during the GP years.
Check them out HERE

matticooper wrote:Cars in 2011 are poles apart from those gems back in 1994... ta :yes:
Not just are the cars poles apart but that whole parklands motorsports complex is too. Tin shed pit complex, small grandstands, bugger all grandstands, tiny fences ect.

The one thing that jumped out when comparing how it use to look to how it was when i was there just over a month ago is the size of the main bridge!!!
That thing was huge back in the day as i believe it housed race control on-top of it.

Life is hard...but, life is harder when you're dumb.
DexterPunk
Busted ARSE

Post by DexterPunk »

Pinger$ wrote:Hi All,

I've asked my mate for permission to put these up here. They're also on overclockers... Anyway, here goes...
oli wrote: Hi all! I've got something any F1 fans will be interested.

I've got an Uncle from Germany who is one of the most senior F1 photographers around. He's been shooting since 1978 and has covered over 400 races around the world. When I was young I saw him every year as he was in Adelaide for the GP. Once the race was stolen from us by Jeff Kennett I only saw my Uncle when I was in Germany and he happened to be there at the same time. Now we just keep in touch on Facebook.

During a recent clean out I found a bag of old slides he left in Adelaide in 1994. These were discarded images he didn't want and gave to me. I scanned them all the other day and after checking with him decided to put them online.

To set the tone:

1994 Australian F1. It's the last race of the 1994 season held on one of the best street circuits in the world: the Adelaide Street Circuit. Spectator numbers are high and Jeff Kennett hasn't stolen the GP for Melbourne yet. Prost has retired and a tragic season is coming to an end: Ratzenberger and Senna have died in crashes. Mansell wins the race after a controversial incident resulting in both Schumacher and Hill retiring from the race. Schumacher wins the season.

1994 Australian Grand Prix page on Wikipedia.

I haven't sorted these out and there might be some duplicates. They were left here because they weren't the best photos so no complaining.

Here are the photos.

All photos copyright Lukas Gorys. Again: I have permission to put these online!

Thanks for sharing Pinger$ :yes:
Enforcer-J

Post by Enforcer-J »

Ahhh... Microprose Grand Prix 2.

I'm overcome with Nostalgia!!
w00dsy
The Senna of Hoppers Crossing

Post by w00dsy »

KNAPPO wrote:
matticooper wrote:Cars in 2011 are poles apart from those gems back in 1994... ta :yes:
Not just are the cars poles apart but that whole parklands motorsports complex is too. Tin shed pit complex, small grandstands, bugger all grandstands, tiny fences ect.

Flavio has changed the most.

pick the 2 guys still racing F1.

meanwhile Sebastian Vettel was out practicing to beat those blokes

KNAPPO
Master artist
Master artist

Post by KNAPPO »

w00dsy wrote:pick the 2 guys still racing F1.
Michael Schumacher & Rubens Barichello.
Rubens was in his first year i believe and Michael was in his 2nd full year, tho he started mid season in 91.

Bring back Ukyo Katayama!!!!
Life is hard...but, life is harder when you're dumb.
w00dsy
The Senna of Hoppers Crossing

Post by w00dsy »

i think Rubens first started in 93, and Michael started in 91, he won in 94. It's amazing that they are both still going all these years later. My favorite driver Zanardi is in the middle there as well.

i'm going to do my best guess here, i might not get some of the also rans right. from back left

Berger, Belmondo, Gachot, Salo, De Crashiris, Mansell, Frentzen, Brabham, Gounon, Panis, Bernard
Morbidelli, Alboreto, Noda, Dalmas, Alesi, Zanardi, Fittipaldi, Barrichello
Martini, Blundell, Herbert, Schumi, Mika, Brundle, Irvine, Hill, Katayama