Your Next Bike

CyclARSEts talk in here.
norbs
fucking right wing vegan lesbian

Re: Your Next Bike

Post by norbs »

http://volagi.com/bikes/introducing-vol ... srp-449500" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

:yes: :yes:
Sarc ; my second favourite type of gasm.
norbs

Post by norbs »

Looking at Di2?

http://cycling.norbtech.com/2012/02/whe ... fails-you/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Jesus!
CLP
C grade super domestique

Post by CLP »

norbs wrote:Looking at Di2?

http://cycling.norbtech.com/2012/02/whe ... fails-you/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Jesus!
Be interesting to know what actually went wrong there.. ie just a battery not fully charged or something more significant
Hz-Lab
Magoo
Magoo

Post by Hz-Lab »

Alright.. that's it, I'm buying a roadie!!! But I'm only getting it for training for MTB, as its so much easier just to jump on a roadie and go for a ride than having to drive to trails.

So, I don't want to spend more than $600, is it even worth looking at new bikes? or should i browse the second hand market. One of my riding mate's got a decent 07 Trek with some fancy shit for $400, might be worth looking for things like that. Thoughts?
CLP
C grade super domestique

Post by CLP »

Hz-Lab wrote:Alright.. that's it, I'm buying a roadie!!! But I'm only getting it for training for MTB, as its so much easier just to jump on a roadie and go for a ride than having to drive to trails.

So, I don't want to spend more than $600, is it even worth looking at new bikes? or should i browse the second hand market. One of my riding mate's got a decent 07 Trek with some fancy shit for $400, might be worth looking for things like that. Thoughts?
:rofl: welcome to the dark side.... ;)

where were you thinking of riding it? drop bar or flat?

you might struggle for $600.. probably wouldn't bother with new for that price. Any idea what size you would need?
I had a 2nd hand bike in mind, but then i saw your price limit ;)

actually, if you were happy with a single speed/fixed gear then you could (probably) get a near new Surly Steamroller :) http://pacc.org.au/forums/viewtopic.php?t=3421" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Hz-Lab
Magoo
Magoo

Post by Hz-Lab »

Nah don't want single speed, don't want fixed, want drop bar.

It's more so an experiment to see if I will use it, I don't wanna spend much just yet, but I have every intention of buying something decent for a couple of G's if it turns out I like it. Someone has already asked if I would swap my DH bike for a Carbon Shogun and some coin, I don't know much about the bike, looks ok, but I am uncertain about 2nd hand carbon.
CLP
C grade super domestique

Post by CLP »

Hz-Lab wrote:Nah don't want single speed, don't want fixed, want drop bar.

It's more so an experiment to see if I will use it, I don't wanna spend much just yet, but I have every intention of buying something decent for a couple of G's if it turns out I like it. Someone has already asked if I would swap my DH bike for a Carbon Shogun and some coin, I don't know much about the bike, looks ok, but I am uncertain about 2nd hand carbon.
you might be able to get a brand new, lower end Avanti Giro for about that money, or an Malvern Star Oppy A series..

second hand carbon can be a bit of a minefield.. though you can get a decent bargain. if you're going that route, maybe see how much a local bike shop would charge for a pre purchase inspection.. hopefully they would know what to look for in a damaged frame
Hz-Lab
Magoo
Magoo

Post by Hz-Lab »

Don't you really need an xray to detect Carbon damage? I mean external would be obvious but internal.

what about something like this?
http://www.cyclingexpress.com/cycle/azz ... sport.aspx" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
CLP
C grade super domestique

Post by CLP »

Hz-Lab wrote:Don't you really need an xray to detect Carbon damage? I mean external would be obvious but internal.

what about something like this?
http://www.cyclingexpress.com/cycle/azz ... sport.aspx" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
sometimes..... there are ways to work out whether a carbon frame is damaged.. generally by listening to changes in tone as you tap (say with a coin) around a tube.. not perfect, but can be done. xray would put it beyond doubt assuming you have an xray machine handy when you are looking at a bike ;)

azzurri make good value bikes.. and good quality.. Flinty rides one, so that should be an indicator that they are ok :) Sora spec components on that are low level, but if you're looking to get a roadie to try it out then that shouldn't hold you back at all :)
Hz-Lab
Magoo
Magoo

Post by Hz-Lab »

whats better spec, Shimano Sora or 105?
Duke
Dukester Maldonado
Dukester Maldonado

Post by Duke »

Hurtz, pretty limited with that budget but understand where your coming from.
Can't fault Azzurri for value for money, like Carl said I've been riding one of the very early carbon frames for years, never let me down.
The Sport model you listed has some strange gearing going on, has a triple chain-ring but also a long-cage Sora rear derailuer.
If you could lift your bugget ($850) their next model up UNO Race is better value imho, full Tiagra group & a carbon fork...the full alu one on the sport would rattle you teeth out. http://www.cyclingexpress.com/cycle/azz ... -race.aspx" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
There was also the Pavia which is Sora with a carbin fork for $650 but it maybe a year or two older model from the look of it.
http://www.cyclingexpress.com/cycle/azzurri-pavia.aspx" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Dukester

norbs diplomacy lesson 101: "If I was putting words in your mouth, you'd know."
CLP
C grade super domestique

Post by CLP »

Hz-Lab wrote:whats better spec, Shimano Sora or 105?
105 is 2 levels up from sora...

the line up is: Sora, Tiagra, 105, Ultegra, Dura Ace :)

i think the 10speed tech has filtered to the current Tiagra groups, so that might be a good spec to aim for to give you value + performance. Usually i'd tell people to aim for tiagra or better still 105, but obviously if the budget doesn't allow for it, then you make cuts where required. You can always upgrade components later.. upgrading a frame is a little more troublesome :)

edit: didn't notice the triple chainrings before Flinty mentioned it.. would probably go for a compact double if you can..
Duke
Dukester Maldonado
Dukester Maldonado

Post by Duke »

Another thought HZ, do you have any Goldcross Cycles near you?
They have great deals a lot of the time. Also they usually have floor stock older model bikes (one or two of, in certain sizes only) that get heavily discounted.
Might be worth a look see...
Dukester

Duke
Dukester Maldonado
Dukester Maldonado

Post by Duke »

Oh there is also CELL Bikes: http://www.cellbikes.com.au/Bikes/Road-Bikes" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Haven't heard much about their bikes but I have ordered accessories from them heaps, very reliable Aussie online retailer.
Dukester

Hz-Lab
Magoo
Magoo

Post by Hz-Lab »

yeah I could probably stretch to this http://www.cellbikes.com.au/Cell-2012-S ... gory=12632" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Sizewise, what should I be looking for? I'm 6'2"
Duke
Dukester Maldonado
Dukester Maldonado

Post by Duke »

Same height as me so depending you would probably need a 59-60cm or XL-XXL.
Actualy the effective Top Tube Length is the most important as frame length can only be slightly changed with stem length & saddle fore/aft if it doesn't effect your overall position too much, while seat height can be adjusted in a greater range usually.
So for our height eTTL should be around 580-590mm, I like mine to be 585mm. ;)

by the way when I'm in the market for a MTB I'll be picking your brain on all this stuff... :nod:
Dukester

Hz-Lab
Magoo
Magoo

Post by Hz-Lab »

Just been msg'd from a guy on Gumtree who would like to swap his Avanti Vivace for my DH bike and give me $350 as well. My bike is on there for $1350, his for $1000, so that part balances. Any thoughts?

here's the link to the bike
http://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/hahndorf ... 1001441707" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I am awaiting a response from him regarding the fram size.
Hz-Lab
Magoo
Magoo

Post by Hz-Lab »

56.5 is the frame size. This bloke is keen, so fingers crossed I'll be in the world of Roadies tomorrow Arvo
norbs

Post by norbs »

Hz-Lab wrote:56.5 is the frame size. This bloke is keen, so fingers crossed I'll be in the world of Roadies tomorrow Arvo

I think Carlos has a Vivace. Or at least Miss V. I dont remember now.
CLP
C grade super domestique

Post by CLP »

Miss V has a Vivace.. she loves it :) very good value. It's essentially the predecessor of Norbs' bike

that being said i've seen one listed for $700 a while ago.. so maybe bear that in mind.

:)

Cheers,
CLP
norbs

Post by norbs »

CLP wrote:Miss V has a Vivace.. she loves it :) very good value. It's essentially the predecessor of Norbs' bike

that being said i've seen one listed for $700 a while ago.. so maybe bear that in mind.

:)

Cheers,
CLP

Avanti are going backwards at the moment. This years Giro 4 has no carbon and lower specced grouppo. :(
Enforcer-J

Post by Enforcer-J »

I'm selling my hybrid already. Since I've shifted over to 6am starts at work it isn't going to get ridden. I'm going back to just the 1 bike, against the rules I know but it's all I need!
Hz-Lab
Magoo
Magoo

Post by Hz-Lab »

Yeah I seen one for $450 but in nowhere near the condition of this one. To be honest my dh bike is a bit overpriced too so it should balance out.
CLP
C grade super domestique

Post by CLP »

Hz-Lab wrote:Yeah I seen one for $450 but in nowhere near the condition of this one. To be honest my dh bike is a bit overpriced too so it should balance out.
Awesome.. sounds like you're happy with the deal :) they are, from what i've seen, pretty solid and dependable bikes.. won't win any prizes for lightness, but they handle pretty well.. pretty good intro to roadies :)
Hz-Lab
Magoo
Magoo

Post by Hz-Lab »

Yeah, I'm actually a bit excited about getting a roadie. Hope to able tag along with you for a ride one day and do some k's with norbs before his epic. All the big ride events I'm keen on too, when I got my mtb I wanted to do them but soon realized it was not an option unless a) I was a freak, or b) hide a small motor somewhere.

Hopefully it works out, my regular ride buddy got a roadie a few months ago so I've been missing out ha.