Rodent plague incoming.

Need a hand with a home project, how to fix that bloody roof leak, hang a door etc...
EzyRider

Rodent plague incoming.

Post by EzyRider »

This isn't so much an asking for help thread, but more your offering to help, but at a much reduced cost.

There's a rodent plague coming, and it's gonna be a doozy, according to the CSIRO. My field of expertise is pest control, so this has been on my sights for the past few months that I've known about it. Many people have no clue about what to do regarding mice and rats in and around their home, so therefore go straight to Bunnings to buy what ever is on sale there.

Please.. don't.. do.. that.

IF you have rats and/or mice, do NOT go straight for the Ratsack.. especially the stuff that has Warfarin as the active ingredient. Warfarin has been used for more than 50 years as an anticoagulant in rodents, and they have since built up such a resistance to it, you may as well feed them a loaf of bread for all the good it does. In fact, Warfarin is now used as a blood thinner in older people to maintain healthier blood pressure and reduce heart attack risks.

If you MUST buy Ratsack, make sure the active ingredient is Brodifacoum or Bromadialone, and NOT Warfarin. But, rather than waste your money on that, perhaps look for Talon pellets. Talon uses a stronger mix of Brodifacoum than Ratsack does, and has a far better knockdown effect.

Brodifacoum is a blood thinning product that causes internal bleeding, thereby creating a dehydrating effect in the rodent, which forces it out of it's hiding hole to search for water, usually outside, where it is picked off by predatory animals, such as cats or birds. And before you ask, secondary poisoning is never an issue.. your average cat would have to eat 30-40 large rats a day for it to become an issue.

There are other products on the market that will do the same thing that Talon pellets will do, but not for the same cost or effectiveness.

In the past 4 weeks, I've been inundated with calls to fix rodent problems, and for a price starting at $150 + GST, it's a far cheaper alternative to buy the bait yourself, throw a few boxes in the roof, or if the mice are in the house itself, buy some plastic lockable boxes from Bunnings (I think they charge like $5 per box) and throw one behind your fridge, one in a cupboard under the sink, and one at the bottom of your pantry.

99% of the time, you won't see/hear/smell them afterwards, but should you notice an odour emanating, and it's a mouse problem, check behind either the fridge or the dishwasher.. they love falling asleep near the motor for warmth and moisture, then don't wake up. If it's rats, you can either check the roof cavity yourself (lifting the insulation batts in the area the smell is) and remove it, or call a pest control tech to come remove the carcass, who will charge you like Dexter at a Fleshlight.

Again, my money is always on the pellets for rats in the roof.. but sometimes for mice, you have to go the rodent blocks, in which case, stay with the Talon blocks in lockable boxes, ESPECIALLY if you have kids or dogs.

Failing all of the above, and if you're in Melbourne, feel free to let me know.. I'd love to come remove your cash for the sake of a 10 minute job :yes:

Hope that helps some of you, and remember, this is not an isolated incidence to Melbourne area alone. All the Eastern states are suffering, and it's about to get a shit load worse. If you need any info, feel free to drop me a message, or just post. Be glad to help.

Good luck :D
Middle Pack Racing Watch your mirrors!

Norbs on Germaine Greer: "..that crusty old slag can tongue kiss my quivering sphincter muscle, fuck her and the pretentious boat she fucking sailed in on."
kwijibo
Squatting Squirter

Re: Rodent plague incoming.

Post by kwijibo »

I recently had some mice about outside that I decided to wipe out before they made their way inside. They kept coming to steal the dog food. I tried the recommended method of peanut butter on the trap, but they were able to lick it off without setting off the trap. They got the cheese off without incident too. Clever little bastards.

In the end i got some sticky tape and stuck a dog food pellet onto the trigger point. Got em every time!

My home made trap got zero :(
petey

Post by petey »

Must admit there have been a few more mice around lately than usual. A mate has two traps setup each night and last I heard he'd racked up 6 in consecutive days, not exactly epic numbers however as far as I'm aware they keep coming.

In any case valuable information :yes: :aussie: Cheers
If you can leave two black stripes from the exit of one corner to the braking zone of the next, you finally have enough horsepower.
smithcorp
Occasional Visitor
Occasional Visitor

Post by smithcorp »

Thanks for the info EzyRider - I haven't noticed any increase in Sydney, but I do have an ongoing war against mice and rats in small numbers, focused around the shed i keep the chook food in. I'll lay in some supplies and the advice about the most effective poisons is great, thanks.
Vilante
Master artist
Master artist

Post by Vilante »

Cheers Ezy!!
Doso

Post by Doso »

my 2 indoror cats have been kept busy lately, definitly have noticed a few more mice around the place :(
EzyRider

Post by EzyRider »

Just an addendum to this lads.. went to the pest control chemical supplier today for more rodent bait.. ruh roh, outta bait. Demand has officially surpassed supply, and they can't keep up with stocks.

Word to the wise, if you think you might have rats/mice, or even just as a preventative.. buy your rodent baits sharpish. I even went to see what I could find in Bunnings, and they were cleaned out.

Apparently every pestie out there is running like Benny Hill, the rodents are just that hardcore at the moment.

As for me, so long as I can get my hands on the chemicals, should be a very profitable year for me.. not so much fun for Joe Citizen though ;)

*Edit*

I was in Epping in North Melbourne area today, baiting out a factory that we picked up on contract. Went out last week to do the setup, used something around the 50 bait boxes mark or so. Went to check all the baits today, and there was as much activity in one week as I'd have expected to see in 2 months normally. That should give you a rough idea how bad it's getting. In fact, picked up one mouse bait box to check the bait.. opened it up, and there was one of the cheeky buggers up on hind legs and squeaked at me. I'm not entirely sure, but I may have just squeaked back at him in surprise. Needless to say, that little fella had a swimming lesson in the toilet right after that ;)
Middle Pack Racing Watch your mirrors!

Norbs on Germaine Greer: "..that crusty old slag can tongue kiss my quivering sphincter muscle, fuck her and the pretentious boat she fucking sailed in on."