Windows 8

Computer and electronic gizmo support.
JTM29

Re: Windows 8

Post by JTM29 »

Developer Preview is out if you want to play around with it.

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/apps/br229516
w00dsy
The Senna of Hoppers Crossing

Post by w00dsy »

downloaded, just about to install, this could be interesting.
wobblysauce
Seen it, Done it, Invented it!

Post by wobblysauce »

I have been holding back from posting here.. but this is a small bit of info.

Windows 8 dev preview is up!
http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/home/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Please share, tweet and check out this video which was just shot in a hangout with +Brian Aldridge +Dierk Maertens +Maximilian Majewski +Peter McDermott and +matthew rappaport as they add their commentary.

This is really cool stuff that is only possible with Google+

Thanks for sharing!
Windows 8 Public Beta FIRST LOOK
[youtube] [/youtube]

Watching the full Windows 8 presentation keynote from Build. Very interesting stuff...
http://www.buildwindows.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.bgr.com/2011/09/13/sorry-app ... st-pc-era/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
[Windows 8]
The post-post-PC era
At first I didn't think much of Windows 8 but the recent unveiling has me excited. I'd love a tablet that is a fully functional PC and more. It'd be interesting to see if such devices can pack all the necessary hardware too.
This isn't bad news for Apple though as the article suggests. Nothing is certain in the tech market today.
Sorry Apple, Windows 8 ushers in the post-post-PC era Apple's iPad ushered in the "post-PC" era, but the its capabilities are limited compared to a real PC. With Windows 8, Microsoft is showing us the future.

windows 8 usb flash-drive
http://www.callingallgeeks.org/how-to-c ... ash-drive/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Some play it safe on the merry-go-round, others go for the thrills of the roller-coaster.

ᕙ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ᕗ vs ლ(ಠ益ಠ)ლ

I have a joke for you. I have a prediction that you are going to walk into a bar, my prediction was wrong and your wallet is gone.
w00dsy

Post by w00dsy »

the new Consumer Preview is out.

[youtube] [/youtube]
Crowella

Post by Crowella »

Going to install it tonight on my tablet PC. :nod:
dvestate
Prize Winning ARSE

Post by dvestate »

Heading to Microsoft on Thursday I am sure they will be Windows 8 marketing

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk
nutty
Spam King
Spam King

Post by nutty »

Ran it up on a Dell Slate the otherday, I liked it.. It basically feels like Windows Phone but on a computer

Server 8 on the other hand, not a massive fan...
Crowella

Post by Crowella »

So far, first impressions.

Pro's
+ Visually pleasing, very easy to read
+ Swiping is very fluid. All touch gestures are great
+ Touch keyboard in comparison to Windows 7 OS is better, miles better
+ Live tiles make "social networking" easier. Big improvement on that gadget business
+ Great work converting Windows 7 over, bug free in that respect

Con's
- Can't close programs easily
- Little confusing at first, such as swipe from right of screen to left to bring up menu
- Menus can get a bit cryptic at times. In simplification you have to search for what you want.

It's a bit unsual since you aren't given too much in terms of customising but when you evaluate what you "really" do with a home computer these days, it fits in well. It is a superb tablet OS. :yes:
w00dsy

Post by w00dsy »

I've finally given it a go. I hated Metro in the first developer preview but after having a fiddle with this version I quite like it. It takes some getting used to just because it's so different but it's quite enjoyable to use.
w00dsy

Post by w00dsy »

here's a little tip, when you move your mouse to the bottom left corner to access the start page, right click it instead. :)

richo

Post by richo »

Great on a tablet but not much fun when using a keyboard and mouse , I will stick with 7 even though i have been dual booting with both for months.

Still its a nice idea having one OS looking and working very similar on a range of products .
[]D [] []v[] []D
ysu
Smooth Lubricator.

Post by ysu »

richo wrote:Great on a tablet but not much fun when using a keyboard and mouse , I will stick with 7 even though i have been dual booting with both for months.

Still its a nice idea having one OS looking and working very similar on a range of products .
It may sound like a neat idea, but as you can see it just does not work. Small screen and crippled controls needs different methods on tablets. Similarly to console/pc. The console control methods just don't work on pc. I reckon this will be a tablet OS.
Surprise, no sig. Now there is. Or is there?
Crowella

Post by Crowella »

If they could give the option of having the original windows style for desktops without going through all that start screen business, it'll be good.

Loving it on the tablet PC. Only hoping they update the " people" app, it dies a little bit on my tablet.
w00dsy

Post by w00dsy »

there's a program called Start8 that brings a proper start menu back to Win8. It seems ok. http://stardock.com/products/start8/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

w00dsy

Post by w00dsy »

[youtube] [/youtube]
petey

Post by petey »

what a patient fella
If you can leave two black stripes from the exit of one corner to the braking zone of the next, you finally have enough horsepower.
nutty
Spam King
Spam King

Post by nutty »

Good news out today, people who own windows 7 pro can upgrade for >$40
http://www.neowin.net/news/windows-8-pr ... -cost-3999" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Vilante
Master artist
Master artist

Post by Vilante »

nutty wrote:Good news out today, people who own windows 7 pro can upgrade for >$40
http://www.neowin.net/news/windows-8-pr ... -cost-3999" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Article says Windows XP and above - WOOP!!
w00dsy

Post by w00dsy »

after using the consumer preview i think that's still $40 too much. It'll be the first time ever i don't upgrade when it comes out. By adding Metro it's like having 2 operating systems in one and neither does everything you want it to do.
ysu
Smooth Lubricator.

Post by ysu »

petey wrote:what a patient fella
you should see my mum at 79 doing this in front of any computer screen...so, IMHO it's not really a measurement of "real" people using it.
Surprise, no sig. Now there is. Or is there?
wobblysauce

Post by wobblysauce »

Tried it for a while now.. but as others have said, Metro is good for touch but not so much with the mouse.

As for the upgrade cost.. you can see why it is only $40 like a Apple upgrade not much has changed, but some have been rumorings that the upgrade is stopping the ability to reinstall the older ver of windows.
Some play it safe on the merry-go-round, others go for the thrills of the roller-coaster.

ᕙ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ᕗ vs ლ(ಠ益ಠ)ლ

I have a joke for you. I have a prediction that you are going to walk into a bar, my prediction was wrong and your wallet is gone.
Shonky

Post by Shonky »

I gotta say I have no interest at all in upgrading Windows to the latest version, Metro just does nothing for me, I keep watching the occasional video or reading the occasional review of the interface and none of them sell it to me, it probably doesn't help that Win7 for me would be the best OS I've ever used, rock solid stable and just does what it needs to without any fuss, it's looking like I'll be one of those people that will wait for the Windows 8 successor before moving up to a new version. This could be another XP->Vista moment for M$ I feel.
wobblysauce

Post by wobblysauce »

hahaha.. couldn't help be think of Arse when I read this.

http://spectrum.ieee.org/computing/soft ... ith-apps/0" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

[youtube] [/youtube]

ᕙ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ᕗ vs ლ(ಠ益ಠ)ლ

DexterPunk
Busted ARSE

Windows 8

Post by DexterPunk »

SHoNKY wrote:I gotta say I have no interest at all in upgrading Windows to the latest version, Metro just does nothing for me, I keep watching the occasional video or reading the occasional review of the interface and none of them sell it to me, it probably doesn't help that Win7 for me would be the best OS I've ever used, rock solid stable and just does what it needs to without any fuss, it's looking like I'll be one of those people that will wait for the Windows 8 successor before moving up to a new version. This could be another XP->Vista moment for M$ I feel.

I feel exactly the same. I reckon I'll probably give this one a miss. Should he great on tablets though.

Sent from Han Solo using TK-421's phone.
richo

Post by richo »

DexterPunk wrote:
SHoNKY wrote:I gotta say I have no interest at all in upgrading Windows to the latest version, Metro just does nothing for me, I keep watching the occasional video or reading the occasional review of the interface and none of them sell it to me, it probably doesn't help that Win7 for me would be the best OS I've ever used, rock solid stable and just does what it needs to without any fuss, it's looking like I'll be one of those people that will wait for the Windows 8 successor before moving up to a new version. This could be another XP->Vista moment for M$ I feel.

I feel exactly the same. I reckon I'll probably give this one a miss. Should he great on tablets though.

Sent from Han Solo using TK-421's phone.
Amen to that !

As nice as a unified OS may sound it just doesn't work in a non touch desktop imho, i have had WIN8 on my second HDD for over 8 months and i never boot into it .
They did there a sales of new OS product a disservice by making Windows 7 a decent product that actually works as it supposed to .
[]D [] []v[] []D