What strings do you use?

Chat about stuff you listen to or play
Dr. Pain

What strings do you use?

Post by Dr. Pain »

For years I've used D'addario strings mostly 10's, light top/heavy bottom, mainly because the music shop here always stocked them. I tried Dean Markleys' years ago but found D'addarios' better. Not long ago I tried Ernie Ball 12's as I wanted to tune to B and I found they're not as bright as D'addarios' but held tune very well. All my guitars are fixed bridge but I'm waiting on the BC Rich V to arrive which has a Floyd Rose tremolo so I'm deciding between D'addario and Ernie Ball. There's no music shop here now so I'll have to order them online. I want to try Dunlop strings too as they seem good for heavy and I love heavy. My Boss MT-2 is always max distortion :D

What do you use and can anyone recommend strings that hold their tune well on a tremolo bridge?

I'm guessing between using either D'addario, Dunlop or Ernie Ball I can't go wrong.
Minister for Religious Genocide.
petey

Re: What strings do you use?

Post by petey »

Ever tried Elixir strings?
Elixir® Strings for electric guitar give you great tone that lasts 3-5x longer. Elixir Strings deliver the presence, punch, and detail of the finest conventional strings while extending tone life and clean, new-string feel 3-5x longer. Available with NANOWEB® or POLYWEB® Coating
http://www.elixirstrings.com/products/p ... ctric.html
Basically the only strings that I've been purchasing since the first time I tried them. They literally do keep that nice bright sound for a lot longer than any other strings I've tried. I have a floyd rose trem in one of my guitars and I've never had an issue with the strings going out of tune after the initial windup.

No idea about buying them online but I had a quick look at the links off their site for online stores (mostly in the US) some appear to ship internationally.

Else, Ernie ball have always had a great sound for me, but only lasted a few weeks tops.
If you can leave two black stripes from the exit of one corner to the braking zone of the next, you finally have enough horsepower.
w00dsy
The Senna of Hoppers Crossing

Post by w00dsy »

i use Ernie Balls mainly because that's what they stock locally. To be honest i've never really noticed the difference in strings. One gutiar forum i go to some guys bang on about how some strings are better than others but i'll be buggered if i could tell.
Cutter
Legend in his own lunchtime

Post by Cutter »

Been using Dean Markley, only beacuase I bought 4 packs of the 10 - 46 Hendrix ones, they're OK.
But I'm with Jas' any of the big 5 - 6 makers seem about the same. Even the skinny top heavy bottom isnt that big to me.

For electric I dont think it makes a huge difference, Acoustic, yep, classical yep yep. Not so much electric.

Mind you that being said, guitar stings are one of the more "fad" things about music, there always seems to be a newer gimick.
I've had Cryo strings frozen to retain something or other.
String sold in long packs to aviod "memory" from being coiled.
Pre lubed ones, (ooh err) pre tempered ones, heat treated,
Even bought a pack of coloured ones a few years ago in vegas.

God' the miles of the things I've bought over the last 30 years.....
Last edited by Cutter on Tue Jul 12, 2011 8:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cutter ~ Carl Rickard

petey

Post by petey »

I entirely agree on the note that it makes little difference to the actual sound. But I just find the elixirs don't get to the dead crappy feeling/sounding strings that my others do within a week or two. They have generally lasted months or until I end up snapping one from getting over zealous on insane bends (also my ibanez catches on the 3rd fret, wears the strings down no end).
If you can leave two black stripes from the exit of one corner to the braking zone of the next, you finally have enough horsepower.
w00dsy

Post by w00dsy »

sounds like your Ibby might need a fret dress. I can't remember the last time i broke a string, mine get dirty before they break. I guess i don't hit them hard enough. I actually hate the feel of brand new strings.
petey

Post by petey »

Indeed it does, has for quite a while...don't play any of them enough these days to be bothered. I don't often break strings, only happened 3 maybe 4 times in my entire time playing.

Brand new strings are quite the annoyance as they constantly go out of tune while stretching, normally I've found with anything but the elixirs by the time that happens they have already lost a bit of brightness. But it might just be personal preference or different guitar to guitar. All advice is merely P.O.V. from here.
Cutter

Post by Cutter »

Agreed, feel is the key. On my dobro I've changed strings about 3 times in 20 years. Older, gnarly and rattley the better.
In fact I used to take emery paper to new strings. Too much buzz and hiss.
Still my brother plays far more than I do and changes all strings every fortnight and buys them on a 50m coil and cuts them to length. Go figure.
Cutter ~ Carl Rickard

Crowella

Post by Crowella »

On my guitar, I use Ernie Ball strings. They seem to always do the job but I do find that unless I look after them manically, they will fade a bit quick.

People rave on about Elixirs, so I guess it's good to hear it from here :)
Dr. Pain

Post by Dr. Pain »

Found these to watch....
[youtube] [/youtube]
[youtube] [/youtube]

I found D'addarios are nice and bright new. Ernie Ball sounded a little dull but haven't changed in sound over a few months. Yet to try Dunlops.
matticooper

Post by matticooper »

I don't change strings often... I'll find the ones that are on special... anywhere between $5 and $8... and a little extra for the bronzed ones for the 'goostick'

Just count your blessings you don't have to buy Bass Strings often. I used to buy Stainless steel ones as they kept the tone, but not using a pick in the Right Hand... the new strings used to take the skin off fairly quickly.
Dr. Pain

Post by Dr. Pain »

My bass still has the SIT strings it came with on it. They still sound good :)
petey

Post by petey »

Yeah I wouldn't recommend looking at elixirs for a bass, they charge a fortune. (Being said, I'm not a bass player)
J.D.
Rat

Post by J.D. »

Elixir Nanoweb 80/20 Bronze on the Taylor.

D'Addario Phosphor Bronze on the two Yamahas.
сначала мы убиваем американского лося и белку.

"Journalism is printing what someone else does not want printed. Everything else is public relations." - George Orwell.

Proudly never a mod or admin at RSC from 2001 - 2009.
Dr. Pain

Post by Dr. Pain »

I'm sticking with D'Addarios as they haven't let me down yet. My 7 string came with D'Addario 10's which is nice as it all set up nicely.
Dr. Pain

Post by Dr. Pain »

I tried some Dunlop heavy core 12's to tune to C and within two weeks the bottom string sounded dead. It's sounds like it's been on there for years where the others have stayed bright.
richo

Post by richo »

I,m a girlyman and use Ernie Ball 9-42 on everything.
[]D [] []v[] []D
w00dsy

Re: Re: What strings do you use?

Post by w00dsy »

richo wrote:I,m a girlyman and use Ernie Ball 9-42 on everything.

The Rev Billy G uses 7's. And he has all his guitars chambered, even some of his necks. Billy bitch mitts.

Sent from wobblys house. Get me out of here, its weird and smells funny.
Dr. Pain

Post by Dr. Pain »

I put 9's on my 7 string before and I should used 10's again as the tremolo string are winning the battle.
w00dsy

Post by w00dsy »

this is a really cool gear rundown with Billy Gibbons guitar tech, he talks about his light guage strings and goes through all his stage gear.

[youtube] [/youtube]