1.8 Planning

No witty remarks yet.

Do we do a full town like we had with ArseVille?

Yes
17%
No
No votes
what there was an arseville?
25%
Bauer's Idea of an underground city
58%

Total votes: 12

NeilPearson
Prize Winning ARSE

1.8 Planning

Post by NeilPearson »

Hear ye Hear ye.

Town meeting to discuss the plans for the next Town/Map

How do we want to go about it? Do we want a More defined town with more a designed feel rather than what we have now, which has just been a free for all.
Personaly, I want to make a town, with everyone getting lots like we did in arseville, but with bigger lots and the lay of the land is definatly kept in. No flat Towns!!
I wouldnt mind having a subway system running through the whole town aswell.

What is everyone's thoughts? How do you want the new map to go?

EDIT

Added bauer's idea to the poll! :D
Last edited by NeilPearson on Wed Jul 13, 2011 9:50 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Rots
DiscoStu
DiscoStu

Re: 1.8 Planning

Post by Rots »

Just quickly with the subway system, this time when I build lines I plan on running redstone circuits beneath them that light up torches in the station to show if it is occupied (activated by detectors). So we will probably need some sort of rule where subway is given 6 - 8 blocks of clearence underground... maybe 10.

With the adventure update, will a town be needed? I mean there is going to be AI villages... we could raid it and take control of them!

If we do plan a town, I certainly don't want another grid style one again but bigger lots would be good. I'm mostly likely to build out of town in a lake again though. :D
NeilPearson
Prize Winning ARSE

Post by NeilPearson »

yeah no grid thing again, something abit more natural is needed, itll be a bit harder to plan, as we would need the map before final planning was finished...

I tried that with a rail at my place rots, its far more complicated than just having lights there.
Need a t-flip flop for the rail detectors, then need to run redstone from the detector rails at each end of the track to the t-flip flop then from the t-flip flop you need redstone to go to each redstone torch at each end of the track...
the delay to the torches is bad to, with the repeters extending the signal it took a few seconds for the light down one end to come on.

Then to top it off, you can only go a maxium of 300 blocks for redstone circuits, the chunks wont update 300blocks out.

Edit,

I know im gonna go off and build my own place like i have done now, but i think getting a town with a base for everyone is a great idea.
Rots
DiscoStu
DiscoStu

Post by Rots »

hmmm ok. There is a way to get to go beyond the 300 chunk limit, it requires a semi complex redstone circuit which I have seen but have to find again.
NeilPearson
Prize Winning ARSE

Post by NeilPearson »

only way i know around it is to have people standing 300 blocks away, as the chunks just dont load, so no circitry that can be done will work. (that i can see)
Santaria

Post by Santaria »

I like the FFA style. A home base would be good, but I don't think it needs to be big. Maybe a few things here and there that house some gear/food/supplies, but all it ends up being is a whole heap of unoccupied houses.

We don't really know what 1.8 is bringing, so maybe more discussion after details are released?
Image[url=steam://friends/add/76561197999720352]Image[/url]
Bauer

Post by Bauer »

In our current map we all agreed to stick to a theme and we did. Wood. I thought it worked well and we should do something similar again.

I think what worked well was that no one took over too much land and stuck to the wood theme until a few days had passed.

Given that the next map is supposed to promote adventuring, I would suggest that we create some sort of central hub. Like a hotel with a room for us all to stay in and a bar to hang out in. Maybe built out of brick that was collected while adventuring. Start out with an underground workshop/storage facility to come back to and build up as we collect.

Just thoughts
--------------
Stu
ysu
Smooth Lubricator.

Post by ysu »

NeilPearson wrote:only way i know around it is to have people standing 300 blocks away, as the chunks just dont load, so no circitry that can be done will work. (that i can see)
Well, if no-one is there what does it matter if it works or not? :)

by the way, you can now use pistons as relays (it may help extending the reach)
Or you could simply put detector rails in at certain intervals - that'd cause a torch to flick on regularly if the rail is occupied (the only problem being, what direction the train is traveling, but I think I could solve that too)

On the subject;
It'd be good to have a city plan and lots.

And an idea would be buying/renting those lots, so the server is paid for...;)
Another idea would be public labour or materials as payment, which we could put towards public amenities - like the public rail system, roads, lighting, signs, etc.
Surprise, no sig. Now there is. Or is there?
Lochie0911

Post by Lochie0911 »

Arseville 2.0 all the way! That was the most fun I ever had in minecraft. I loved the sectioned off plots and restricted mining. It gave a more civilized feel to the game that I love. I first started at the arse server at when I think was early on, with a small group of players, and since ARSEville, never had as much fun.

(end nostalgic rant here)

This is just my opinion. If Notch adds Adventure styled AI villages etc, then a hotel such as Bauer mentioned would be a great idea. Also, for raiding, perhaps a raiding hub/central?
Again just thoughts. I don't mind really either way.
Bauer

Post by Bauer »

isnt it a school night?
--------------
Stu
Hazelb
Master artist
Master artist

Post by Hazelb »

hmmm..ipod in bed me thinks...
Bauer

Post by Bauer »

lol. I'm hearing you. At least he didn't reply ahour later :)
--------------
Stu
Rots
DiscoStu
DiscoStu

Post by Rots »

ysu wrote:
NeilPearson wrote:only way i know around it is to have people standing 300 blocks away, as the chunks just dont load, so no circitry that can be done will work. (that i can see)
Well, if no-one is there what does it matter if it works or not? :)

by the way, you can now use pistons as relays (it may help extending the reach)
Or you could simply put detector rails in at certain intervals - that'd cause a torch to flick on regularly if the rail is occupied (the only problem being, what direction the train is traveling, but I think I could solve that too)

On the subject;
It'd be good to have a city plan and lots.

And an idea would be buying/renting those lots, so the server is paid for...;)
Another idea would be public labour or materials as payment, which we could put towards public amenities - like the public rail system, roads, lighting, signs, etc.
This is what I was referring to... a signal extender.

http://www.minecraftforum.net/topic/405 ... try5689579

hmm, that probably isn't going to help though as it only sends the signal to the next extender until that one is activated. So you won't know if someone is on the line until the closest extender to the station is activated.
ysu
Smooth Lubricator.

Post by ysu »

no, that's not quite what I had in mine, altho that's neat idea too. :)

anyway...another solution is one-way rails (round the town) or double tracks
altho, let's be honest, we don't have congestion too often, do we?
Bauer

Post by Bauer »

Another thought I have had is to agree to have zero building above ground at spawn. Just trees and vegetation and hatch followed by a ladder down down down to an underground city. MenzzoberARSEn (for the Drizzt fans)

once down under the ground we would have a central "workshop" hub and then dig out our own caverns to live in.
--------------
Stu
Lochie0911

Post by Lochie0911 »

Bauer wrote:Another thought I have had is to agree to have zero building above ground at spawn. Just trees and vegetation and hatch followed by a ladder down down down to an underground city. MenzzoberARSEn (for the Drizzt fans)

once down under the ground we would have a central "workshop" hub and then dig out our own caverns to live in.
I like that idea!
Shonky

Post by Shonky »

Bauer wrote:Another thought I have had is to agree to have zero building above ground at spawn. Just trees and vegetation and hatch followed by a ladder down down down to an underground city. MenzzoberARSEn (for the Drizzt fans)

Now that is a cool idea! It's the first idea in the thread so far that has generated any interest for me. :nod:
Santaria

Post by Santaria »

That's actually an awesome idea. Everything is built in an underground cavern. Farming would be a pain, but I guess we could have farm areas up top. So, to add to your idea, we clear all the blocks in a decent sized area 150x150 or something between 32 and 12 (To hopefully avoid lava). Then we build our houses/areas from there?
Image[url=steam://friends/add/76561197999720352]Image[/url]
NeilPearson
Prize Winning ARSE

Post by NeilPearson »

I think we have our winner.
Shonky

Post by Shonky »

Santaria wrote:So, to add to your idea, we clear all the blocks in a decent sized area 150x150 or something between 32 and 12 (To hopefully avoid lava). Then we build our houses/areas from there?
Not keen on the cut out a square box idea, cavern type thing would look better I reckon, not sure how we would implement it, maybe folks chop out what they need, then we open up between areas as we go.
Bauer

Post by Bauer »

SHoNKY wrote:
Santaria wrote:So, to add to your idea, we clear all the blocks in a decent sized area 150x150 or something between 32 and 12 (To hopefully avoid lava). Then we build our houses/areas from there?
Not keen on the cut out a square box idea, cavern type thing would look better I reckon, not sure how we would implement it, maybe folks chop out what they need, then we open up between areas as we go.
Im with Shonky. Caverns are the way to go.

Im thinking that the first step is to put a sign (maybe on a tree so it doesnt look out of place) that gives clear but simple instruction to come down the ladder. Then maybe 10-12 blocks down we have a kind of 10x10 ish meeting hall. About the size of the spawn area we have now. Have a chest, oven, workbench to help those new to the server and also have a "facebook" wall with server rules like no building above ground near spawn etc as well as other ARSE goodness to make people feel like home.

Then we go deep down. We dont really know until we get there but I think if we start with the nearest natural cavern we find and go from there.

My mental vision of cavern building is to plonk a door in the wall of a cavern and dig out into the wall rather than build a house out in the open ground of the cavern. Go ornate on the cavern wall if you like. But that is each to their own and I played a bit of D&D as a kid and read fantasy novels so my mind ticks differently to others who dont.
--------------
Stu
Bauer

Post by Bauer »

and then any man made tunnels connecting areas can be "braced" etc

something like this: 3x3 to allow for rail but rustic looking

--------------
Stu
ysu
Smooth Lubricator.

Post by ysu »

The underground city idea feels rather troublesome to me. It's a neat idea, but I feel it'll raise issues.
First thing popping into my mind is the mining; second is the private rails... I think you'll have to give everyone coordinates where they can work. And you need to leave ample space in between for rail network.
Next thing is any private rail line layout...essentially there cannot be any.
And there will be no beautiful overhead map either ;)
Bauer

Post by Bauer »

I reckon I can "in my opinion" answer all 4 lines of your post

1 - If it isnt your cup of tea, thats fine. It is only an idea for the area around spawn. Wont be for everyone and I would urge them to join and build away from spawn if that is what they want to do.
2 - I reckon we can make it work. Im not seeing the need for private rails in the underworld. It is a community after all. see point 3
3 - Rail needs to be worth the effort. If I can easily walk, I dont catch a train or a boat. So anyone building away from spawn can rail into the spawn station and that is when rail would be worthwhile
4 - I dont forsee an empty map. I know I will build above ground when some idea raises its ugly head or I stumble across a piece of landscape. Just like now, I wont build around spawn. I have several structures on the current server map. Only 1 little house is near spawn. I did the same thing on the map prior too.
--------------
Stu
Scottie

Post by Scottie »

turned out to be like an underground city anyway! massing disused mines linking everyone up with each other :)