Android phone on NextG

All the talk regarding mobile phones, mobile internet access etc etc.
kwijibo
Squatting Squirter

Re: Android phone on NextG

Post by kwijibo »

DexterPunk wrote:meh, competition is essentially a good thing. Would you not rather all phone and software manufacturers copying, and striving to beat each other?? Keeps them on their toes, and essentially means better hardware and software for everyone, regardless of which hardware or software you use.
Competition is awesome, until they start suing and stopping each other competing
DexterPunk
Busted ARSE

Post by DexterPunk »

kwijibo wrote:
DexterPunk wrote:meh, competition is essentially a good thing. Would you not rather all phone and software manufacturers copying, and striving to beat each other?? Keeps them on their toes, and essentially means better hardware and software for everyone, regardless of which hardware or software you use.
Competition is awesome, until they start suing and stopping each other competing
That was my point.. in response to...
pixelboy wrote:Now will someone at google SUE THEIR ARSE like what apple and MS are doing constantly..
pixelboy

Post by pixelboy »

I only said that because Apple are killing the handheld market with crazy lawsuits.. They have stopped Samsung tablet sales in AU and EU and just last week they got awarded a patent they applied for 3 years ago that essentially controls the use of touch screens with more than one finger!!

Microsoft make more money from Android patents on each HTC phone than they make from a Win7 mobile licence..
eek
kwijibo
Squatting Squirter

Post by kwijibo »

DexterPunk wrote:
kwijibo wrote:
That was my point.. in response to...
pixelboy wrote:Now will someone at google SUE THEIR ARSE like what apple and MS are doing constantly..
Fair call. I should read more carefully :aussie:
Sarsippius

Post by Sarsippius »

I had a bit of a look at the SGS II over the weekend and as great as it no doubt is the screen puts me off ever buying one. I find the colours to be way too over saturated, even toning it down in the display settings it's still too much for me.
The Sensation which seems to cop a lot of flack over it's screen was much nicer to my eyes, unfortunately the Desire S display unit wasn't working. They're both SLCD but the Desire S screen is supposed to be better so I wanted to do a direct comparison.
Still got a year on my contract so no rush but I might look at the Sensation down the track as a cheap but still quality option. However I won't really consider any phone now a days that doesn't have a lean, bare bones vanilla android rom out for it.
w00dsy
The Senna of Hoppers Crossing

Post by w00dsy »

i initially thought the exact same thing when i was playing with one in the shop Sars, but once i changed the wallpaper to something less wild it seemed to tone down. Now i find my kids 2 android phones kind of dull looking.
norbs
fucking right wing vegan lesbian

Post by norbs »

I ordered a 16G MicrosSD card from the UK. $33 delivered. Showed up yesterday. Opened it up and there was a 32G card. When I say card, I can't believe a 32G chip is smaller than my thumb nail! Fark. Anyhoo, I shot them an email last night saying they had made a mistake, and just recieved a reply saying they had run out of 16G cards so they sent the 4 customers that had 16s on order, 32G cards instead! They were very happy that I had emailed them. The other 3 people, all in the UK, haven't said anything as yet.
Sarc ; my second favourite type of gasm.
r8response
Cry baby
Cry baby

Post by r8response »

norbs wrote:The other 3 people, all in the UK, haven't said anything as yet.
And the call us convicts :-P

Haven't put nearly enough shit on my phone to justify a MicroSD yet.
wabbit

Post by wabbit »

Had this bloke in today with a SGS 2, offered me a go... I though why not its new, read heaps on here about em.

Why the fuck is it sometimes slow and jerky?
Scrolling is fucked, why do they scroll like that?
Animated wallpapers are slow, unable to keep up with inputs. Why do em?

Gave the phone back after 10mins, said to him "yeah it's nice, its got a massive screen" :)

Thought to myself, this just isn't for me.
KNAPPO
Master artist
Master artist

Post by KNAPPO »

wabbit wrote:Scrolling is fucked, why do they scroll like that
Maybe Samsung have changed the scrolling so they don't get sued lol.

Seriously tho, I'm not too sure as I havnt used a SGS2 for long enough yet. I'm just stiring shit. :lol:
Life is hard...but, life is harder when you're dumb.
wabbit

Post by wabbit »

Yeah I don't know either dude, I was ready to be blown away by this thing because hardware wise it's got big balls (1.2Ghz dual-core & Mali-400MP GPU?), I guess the software would have to be horrible to slow the hardware down like that.

:) I'm sure someone with more knowledge will explain it better.
norbs

Post by norbs »

Mine scrolls great. I think live wallpapers slow it down.

One good thing about iOS is the ability to tap the top of the screen and have it scroll to the top. I can't seem to get the S2 to do that.

Was it rooted and running a differnt ROM? I have read that some of the ROMs arent real good in some areas.

What carrier was it on?
wabbit

Post by wabbit »

Optus with whatever ROM came out with it. The most he's done to it so far is download a bunch of apps.

I'm pretty sure if I asked had it been rooted, he'd reply "narr it's working". As he was most impressed by the better preset EQ settings PowerAMP has.
w00dsy
The Senna of Hoppers Crossing

Post by w00dsy »

Mine scrolls fine but i dont have animated wallpapers.
norbs

Post by norbs »

wabbit wrote:Optus with whatever ROM came out with it. The most he's done to it so far is download a bunch of apps.

I'm pretty sure if I asked had it been rooted, he'd reply "narr it's working". As he was most impressed by the better preset EQ settings PowerAMP has.

BRB, Im off to the Optarse shop to have a look see :)
wabbit

Post by wabbit »

Sweet thanks mate. Actually Knappo might have a good point, maybe iOS and Android OS "scroll differently".
norbs

Post by norbs »

Ok. Scrolling is slower and jerkier on the Optus version. The phone itself feels slower. I have no idea why. Seemed to have a fair bit of shit on it, widgets and crap like that. I pretended I was going to buy one outright, but he wouldn't let me do a speed test on it, so i walked out. :)
wabbit

Post by wabbit »

Thanks norbs :) Nice effort heh
norbs

Post by norbs »

wabbit wrote:Thanks norbs :) Nice effort heh

I will check out Voda tomorrow. It is interesting to see the difference between them all. I wonder if Voda will let me do a speed test. :)
Santaria

Post by Santaria »

Depends what was on it. Animated wallpapers are killers and Sense is very bulky, add to that the bloatware carriers put on their devices and you get jerky scrolling. General rule of thumb is that a new custom ROM will make a phone much faster unless it's in early development

Signed,
ROM flashing addict for the HD2.
Image[url=steam://friends/add/76561197999720352]Image[/url]
wabbit

Post by wabbit »

Fark so I buy a new Rolla from Southside Toyota and I've gotta change the oil so it'll run smooth?

Fuck that shit :)
r8response
Cry baby
Cry baby

Post by r8response »

My SG2 that isn't from a carrier. Nice and smooth.

22hrs on the battery with intermittent 3G, Wifi and GPS usage. Not too shabby
norbs

Post by norbs »

wabbit wrote:Fark so I buy a new Rolla from Southside Toyota and I've gotta change the oil so it'll run smooth?

I spoke to a mate who is an Optus radio engineer today. The tech people at Optus are pulling their hair out because the Optus software was out sourced and is crap apparently.

Like I said, I will go have a look see at Voda tomorrow and see how theirs runs.

It looks like Telstra bundled software isn't to bad.
Santaria

Post by Santaria »

Buy it unbranded if at all possible. Everything is so much better.
Santaria

Re: Re: Android phone on NextG

Post by Santaria »

wabbit wrote:Fark so I buy a new Rolla from Southside Toyota and I've gotta change the oil so it'll run smooth?

Think of it as buying the Rolla and taking the 80km speed limiter off.