Building your own guitar

Chat about stuff you listen to or play
Dr. Pain

Building your own guitar

Post by Dr. Pain »

I'm always looking at guitars of late and asking myself "If had the money, what else would I buy?" hence my post about DBZ in another thread. But then I found this website:

http://www.guitarworx.com.au/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The cost of guitars is bit pricey and if it's an artist signature series well the price sky rockets. But this seems cheap and I've been looking at the Mockingbird kit. They are basswood body's, maple neck with maple or rosewood fret boards. Seems like it could be a fun project and playing something you've made (assembled) I think would feel nice especially if you add some nice pick ups. $350 is cheap ($150 for a kit and $200 for pups).
Minister for Religious Genocide.
w00dsy
The Senna of Hoppers Crossing

Re: Building your own guitar

Post by w00dsy »

i've only done one kit and i'd be pretty choosey next time i do one. The biggest problem i had was the quality of the product. Things like bad fretwork, bridge holes not alligned, nut not cut correctly etc seem to be common amongst the cheap chinese kits. Be prepared to do a lot more work getting it right than you imagine. It's a lot of fun if you have patience but it's far from just putting it all together and a coat of paint. Next time i'll probably choose a higher end product like Warmoth or Mighty Mite, plus i can get them a lot closer to the spec that i want than buying a kit. Things like neck profiles and pickup cavities. This place seems quite good if you don't mind a PRS style http://www.pvxguitars.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

From what i've seen Warmoth has the best quality parts, and most guitars will probably end up around $1000-1500 for a really good guitar finished.

lol, just noticed the names of their kits, the Les Paul is called a Paul Morris. Maybe cos it's fat.
Dr. Pain

Post by Dr. Pain »

Thanks for the head's up. I still will try one of these kits as it cheap enough to do so. The product level is the same as my BC Rich Warbeast 1 which is basswood body, maple bolt on neck and rosewood fret board. The Vampire kit is the one want rather than the Mockingbird now. None in stock so I'll wait. I plan to build the kit as is with a coat of black paint then if it's all good in alignment and frets setted well then will worry about up grades.
w00dsy
The Senna of Hoppers Crossing

Post by w00dsy »

yeah wait and see how it all fits before you go and spend a few hundred on some Bareknucles or EMG's. They certainly look like good bang for the buck, it's a good way to have some fun putting them together without busting the bank. It's pretty rewarding the first time you plug it in and play it and it actually works.
Dr. Pain

Post by Dr. Pain »

I played with Warmoth building a strat. It's a nice idea if you have the money. $1900 for the one I made so I can only dream. Building my own is on hold though as I bought a Squire fat strat HSS. I'm hopeless :D