1.8 pre-release released

No witty remarks yet.
DarrenM

1.8 pre-release released

Post by DarrenM »

http://www.minecraftforum.net/news/214- ... heres-how/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Jens and Notch have just announced that the 1.8 pre-release .jar is available for public testing. It is important to remember that this is NOT The final release of 1.8, and is still extremely buggy. If you find any bugs, or need support, please join the #minecraft channel on irc.esper.net using your favorite IRC client!

NOTICE: This version will only work if you've paid for Minecraft, all the more reason to step up!
http://assets.minecraft.net/1_8-pre/minecraft.jar" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://assets.minecraft.net/1_8-pre/min ... server.jar" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I couldn't log in, but it's letting me play offline.
Rots
DiscoStu
DiscoStu

Re: 1.8 pre-release released

Post by Rots »

crashes all the time for me... keeps saying out of memory. As if it uses 8gb. I'll update my Java to 64 bit and see if it keeps crashing
Santaria

Post by Santaria »

Rots wrote:crashes all the time for me... keeps saying out of memory. As if it uses 8gb. I'll update my Java to 64 bit and see if it keeps crashing
Make sure you don't have texture packs installed. Same problem, emptied the folder, now no problems.

Survival mode is beautiful! It's a good balance between trying not to die and trying not to starve. Farming has a reason now. So far 2 of those black tall things have scared the shit out of me... and I sprinted (we haz sprint now). The experience thing doesn't seem to be doing anything at the moment though.
Image[url=steam://friends/add/76561197999720352]Image[/url]
Santaria

Post by Santaria »

I stumbled across an abandoned mineshaft (single player map) while mining. Followed it, got lost but found heaps of chests and rail tracks etc. It's pretty scary actually. F3 doesn't bring up mob numbers anymore, meaning you can't see them in the mineshafts. I can't wait to start exploring the new ARSE map. The difficulty needs to be set to Hard though for the hunger thing to work, otherwise it doesn't seem to do anything. The new lighting etc has put a new lick of paint on, that's for sure.
Scottie

Post by Scottie »

yeah offline only works for me currently
Shonky

Post by Shonky »

It works for me as well, it's showing promise, cooking anything in furnaces appears to bring on the crashes but at least it's saving when it happens. Still haven't ventured too far yet so I haven't found any new terrain features.
DarrenM

Post by DarrenM »

I must have been pretty lucky. No crashes for me and I've been cooking and smelting.

The hunger bar seems to stay on full for a fair while but when it drops the rate seems to increase. You don't seem to heal when you're down 3-4 drumsticks.

Haven't found any abandoned mines or towns yet, just endless swamp with pine trees on hills. You can cover plenty of distance sprinting. You definitely need a supply of food when doing that :)

Lots of clay in the water. Maybe that will be a swamp feature. Massive ravine in the mine shaft I dug. Took me ages to get down to level 12 finding my way around it and exploring lots of caves that ran off it.

No diamonds yet, but by the time I got to the bottom it became apparent I needed to sort out food, so I'm back on the surface setting up some farms. Haven't found any watermellons either. Guess they don't feature in swamps.
Crowella

Post by Crowella »

I've found its running a bit slow but the biomes look great now. :) The forests actually look like... forests :)

I might hold off playing more until it's stable and we have a server
Santaria

Post by Santaria »

I'm thoroughly enjoying this at the moment. The new 'survival' aspect and trying to find villages is great fun. Found 2 mineshafts now. I didn't explore the first one thoroughly, but this one is just massive. Blue cave spiders suck, take lots of food, keep an eye out for their spawners. Take lava and some flint for crowd control.
DarrenM

Post by DarrenM »

Apart from when I tried the Glacier and gargamel seeds I never saw any decent sized mountains when playing before, so it was pretty cool to run into this after sailing for ages across an ocean.
2011-09-10_11.35.15.jpg
2011-09-10_11.34.51.jpg
Oceans look a bit shit though. More distant underwater blocks should get darker, not lighter like they do above water.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
NeilPearson
Prize Winning ARSE

Post by NeilPearson »

hmmm im keen to reset the server now.
Shonky

Post by Shonky »

Since nobody can login Neil that's probably pointless, and I'm pretty sure the host won't be too keen on running the pre-release version, but it's up to you if you want to try it, just keep a close eye on it if you do.
r8response
Cry baby
Cry baby

Post by r8response »

One thing i've noticed, and im not sure if its in the current version as i never really noticed/paid attention.

Went to a tree and cut out all the wood. Then i noticed a couple of saplings on the ground. Seems if you "kill" the tree the leaves start dying and end up with a chance of dropping sapling.
Shonky

Post by Shonky »

That's been there for a very long time r8, but was removed for a period of time and then added back.
NeilPearson
Prize Winning ARSE

Post by NeilPearson »

SHoNKY wrote:Since nobody can login Neil that's probably pointless, and I'm pretty sure the host won't be too keen on running the pre-release version, but it's up to you if you want to try it, just keep a close eye on it if you do.

I can login fine!

it was removed because it caused really bad lag, but you could destroy the leaves and get the saplings that way.
Shonky

Post by Shonky »

Ok, I can login now too, first time it's happened today.
NeilPearson
Prize Winning ARSE

Post by NeilPearson »

okay guys Caracarse is no more, its on 1.8 now.

Join in! No bukkit or mods just vanilla for now.
r8response
Cry baby
Cry baby

Post by r8response »

SHoNKY wrote:That's been there for a very long time r8, but was removed for a period of time and then added back.
Ahh well. So many little things to discover in this game. Doubt i'll ever see them all.

Edit: errors out when i try to login :(

Edit2: Seems if you keep trying it eventually works
DarrenM

Post by DarrenM »

I was following a river and it stopped suddenly. Cut by a ravine.
2011-09-10_13.01.37.jpg
It also appears that mobs don't die and keep spawning making the game progressively laggier. I found a hole with 8 chickens in it.
2011-09-10_13.21.02.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Scottie

Post by Scottie »

haven't found any generated towns yet in my SP world... will try to join caracarse after some food :)
Bauer

Post by Bauer »

had a quick look. im liking it :)
--------------
Stu
Scottie

Post by Scottie »

Scottie likes this place, but server crashed
DarrenM

Post by DarrenM »

That was weird. Mined a block, put a torch there. The block reappeared and the torch appeared underneath it, floating in space but still lit. I clicked on it a couple times to recover it and a couple more floating torches appeared then the server went down.

I was having a good time exploring a huge underground ravine with an abandoned mine at the bottom. mobs everywhere you look. Found 3 spawners and 2 chests but died and lost all the goodies. Not that cocoa and saddles are good for much. Can't get to the 3rd spawner. It's spawning cave spiders and the room was full of spiders and webs.

There were some rather large looking spiders down there, too. 3-4 blocks wide.
Crowella

Post by Crowella »

They really turned up the dial on both friendly and aggressive mobs.

I like the biomes and regen health (for now). Will have to see how it goes once something is established.
Shonky

Post by Shonky »

Anyone connected at the moment, keep getting end of stream errors at the moment?