Assetto Corsa, New sim from creators of NKPRO

This game convinced norbs to buy a new computer!
Jamo

Re: Assetto Corsa, New sim from creators of NKPRO

Post by Jamo »

Do you need some kind of key to try this?
I drink a great deal, I sleep a little and I smoke cigar after cigar. That is why I am in two hundred percent form - Sir Winston Churchill
r8response
Cry baby
Cry baby

Post by r8response »

Jamo wrote:Do you need some kind of key to try this?
You need to use the activation code you get from nKPro. Which itself is quite cheap.
DarrenM

Post by DarrenM »

Feels really nice. Need a higher powered car to get a full comparison to iracing, but this car feels more natural than the mx-5 did last time I drove it.

I did a low 24, but it's 2 seconds off the pace :(

[youtube] [/youtube]
ysu
Smooth Lubricator.

Post by ysu »

This is good, very good.

I've a 70fps average on 2x 670 running in SLI, resolution 5900x1200

And the game looks good & feels good. One just have to switch from 'gamer' mode to 'pro' on the drive screen, to get rid of all the aids :)
DarrenM wrote:Feels really nice. Need a higher powered car to get a full comparison to iracing, but this car feels more natural than the mx-5 did last time I drove it.

I did a low 24, but it's 2 seconds off the pace :(

[youtube] [/youtube]
nice!

I've done a high 25 so far, only, true it was only a few laps.

It'll never be like iRacing, the tyre physics kunos uses is rather different from the papy model. It's less tail happy, more predictable (from sitting in front of the screen) - you need to fight the car less, you can concentrate on racing more ;)
Surprise, no sig. Now there is. Or is there?
Leweegibo

Post by Leweegibo »

2 things that bugged me, can brake 100% without locking up and "auto-shift" being on by default...just seems odd :P

Personally think it feels like a fancier GT5, as said above really need to try a high powered car to tell. Think it will be fun but certainly not amazed yet.
NeilPearson
Prize Winning ARSE

Post by NeilPearson »

have you tried turning the ABS off? i did that and had the front wheel locked up the whole way in.

that lap is epic.
ysu
Smooth Lubricator.

Post by ysu »

Leweegibo wrote:2 things that bugged me, can brake 100% without locking up and "auto-shift" being on by default...just seems odd :P

Personally think it feels like a fancier GT5, as said above really need to try a high powered car to tell. Think it will be fun but certainly not amazed yet.
You're running in the default "gamer" mode, all assists on. On the screen before the driving, you can change to "pro" mode. That'll disable all aids, and you will lock up and spin out if you don't watch it.
DarrenM

Post by DarrenM »

I found abs is still on even if I turn it off in the menu. I have to hit ctrl+a in car if I want to turn it off.

I've done a 23.8 now, but Cornett did a 21.9 not long after uploading that video.

The python programmable UI is a great idea. iRacing need to copy it :)
Leweegibo

Post by Leweegibo »

ysu wrote:
Leweegibo wrote:2 things that bugged me, can brake 100% without locking up and "auto-shift" being on by default...just seems odd :P

You're running in the default "gamer" mode, all assists on. On the screen before the driving, you can change to "pro" mode. That'll disable all aids, and you will lock up and spin out if you don't watch it.
yeah did that, even turned stability off too...weird :tilt: was tired so mighta missed something

edit: ah Darren, might try that then
ysu
Smooth Lubricator.

Post by ysu »

hm...it's right, once I've restarted the program it has switched ABS back on for me, too. Weird.

p.s. how good are the mobile apps or whaterver they're called? (the ones you can put on the screen when you move your mouse to the far right) !
Very well thought through.
AstrO
Help Desk Expert

Post by AstrO »

Thought I'd pickup nKPro so I could give this a go. Still getting used to the track and feel of the game, but I have to say that I like it. Best time so far is a 1:25.3, then I realized that abs was on... So add another 0.5 to that time. ;)
petey

Post by petey »

I've run a 1.24.4 and it is a fairly enjoyable challenge.

My only gripe is the Force Feedback - it gives very little feedback and the steering is far too heavy in general. Lowering the gain helped me actually steer the car without ridiculous effort but I don't feel the tyres. Particularly for an MR car there should be some very strong responses to weight shift.
If you can leave two black stripes from the exit of one corner to the braking zone of the next, you finally have enough horsepower.
ysu
Smooth Lubricator.

Post by ysu »

The feedback may get a tweak, but I find it pleasing enough. It's similar to nkp. Maybe I'm just used to it :)
DarrenM

Post by DarrenM »

Some people are finding they get much better laptimes with higher fps. I'll have to try min details tonight and see if that's what I'm missing :)

http://www.assettocorsa.net/forum/index ... ptime.453/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

EDIT: I think they're just suffering steering lag with low frame rates. Anything above 80-90 doesn't feel any different, but I cranked up the detail giving me 40fps and the lag was so bad it was hard to drive. Bit ordinary when you think GPL had a max 36fps without that issue.
r8response
Cry baby
Cry baby

Post by r8response »

Update released. v0.9.8

Link

Navigate to your documents folder and backup the lic folder within. Delete the rest. Uninstall old version, install new version and start it once. Exit then replace the lic folder.

Changelog:

Fixed DirectInput controls not getting initialized on lost focus
Fixed double bound on Cubemap render target
Optimizations on motion blur
Optimizations on cube maps depth buffer
Fixed camera exposure on F5 view after first start
Fixed spikes strings to a more readable format
Reduce steer damper
Added 100Hz cap to FF sends to avoid problems with some steering wheels
Fixed steer lock management for wheels with <900 degs rotations
Fixed division by zero with uncalibrated controls
Improved car reflections
Improved light glass reflections
Improved instruments texture
Improved exposure value for external views
Improved exposure value for F5 view
Improved tarmac texture of Magione Circuit
Corrected rear brake lights. Only inner lights light up.
Fixed minor issue on 3D model. Closed hole on front bonnet.

User Interface

Corrections on the controls options
Fixed issues with a wide range of controllers
Fixed various typo errors
You can assign any analog function to any axis (i.e. braking on clutch and clutch on the middle pedal)
Improved screen resolution selection
You can now lock steering wheel movement in cockpit view
You can now eliminate the driver arms in cockpit view
Fixed issue with firewall program that locked AssettoCorsa.exe
Added skin selection button template in .psd in the skins folder.
Added skin selection

Authentic Lotus cars ltd colours available as skin selection

Ardent Red
Artic Silver
Aspen White
Autumn Bronze
Canyon Red
Carbon Grey
Chrome Orange
Graphite Grey
Motorsport Green
Nightfall Blue
Racing Green
Racing Green Stripe
Sienna Brown
Solar Yellow
Starlight Black
Isotope Green
Laser Blue

Sound

wind sample corrected
Duke
Dukester Maldonado
Dukester Maldonado

Post by Duke »

Saw this today: http://www.virtualr.net/assetto-corsa-t ... previews-4" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Not sure I'm a fan of blur but DOF has been something severely lacking in race sims imho.
Dukester

norbs diplomacy lesson 101: "If I was putting words in your mouth, you'd know."
DarrenM

Post by DarrenM »

Makes a big difference for replays/screenshots. Don't think I'd want either while driving. iRacing added dof in replays but it needs blur as well.

Fingers crossed we see something from AC soon.

ysu
Smooth Lubricator.

Post by ysu »

Yeah it's completely unrealistic for normal play. The eye takes care of this in real life, so the artificial one is a distraction.

In replays/screenies they try to emulate photography's shortcomings so people feel more at home, it seems. It works for that. Personally, I've never liked it. :)
SE1Z

Post by SE1Z »

Can't wait for this!

Feels better than LFS to me.
I'm also really happy with the inclusion of AI cars as well, since my internet connection probably won't be quick enough for online.

Their site is down for maintenance atm too... imminent release perhaps? :tilt:
Steve
---
Righteous
Master artist
Master artist

Post by Righteous »

I'm pretty keen on this too. I can't justify iracing pay to play as I don't play enough. Fingers crossed the netcode on this holds up. Might dust off the old wheel.
durbster
The Whack Wasp Warrior

Post by durbster »

How strange, I'd forgotten all about this but looked it up again just last week to see how it was going. It still said it was due for release in 2013 so given Kunos's record I concluded it would probably be out next year :)
Gizmo
forum fairy - in a gay way!
forum fairy - in a gay way!

Post by Gizmo »

Dear followers, finally the AC release is very close.

The Assetto Corsa's official site, http://www.assettocorsa.net" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; is under maintenance: when it will come back online, all the information about the game, its contents and features, the hardware requirements and much more, will be finally available.

More importantly, the release of Assetto Corsa is imminent. Because of some issues (you can read about that here:

" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;), we have had to change some assets of our strategy, finding the solution that will make you happy and will let the development team complete its job as soon as possible, and at its best.

Assetto Corsa will be available on Steam Early Access very, very soon. The game will cost 34,99 Eur (allowing to save 22% of the retail price!) and will give you access to the beta version, including its updates, plus the final version.

The latest news is that we have decided to include the Spa-Francorchamps track and three additional GT cars (Mercedes-Benz SLS AMG, Mercedes-Benz SLS GT3 and Lotus Evora GTC) in the main build of the game, to offer to you the best selection of cars and tracks that we are able to deliver, without any additional cost. We hope you appreciate it. Thanks to this addition, Assetto Corsa will include in total 35 cars, 16 vehicle classes, 11 circuits and 3 additional scenarios. Other extra contents will be added in 2014, in order to guarantee a long-life to this simulation.

The first build of Assetto Corsa includes the main structure of the game and 8 classes of cars for a total number of 11 vehicles, with the aim to guarantee just from the beginning the chance to enjoy the dynamic model of the game racing with different kind of vehicles.

As part of the early access program, an update with new cars, tracks and features will be available every two weeks, adding new contents and improving the existing ones. All the vehicles and tracks will be released in a level of completion close to the final one, with the aim to deliver, starting by the first version, an enjoyable and satisfying simulation, featuring cars and tracks reproduced at their best, with the exception of unknown minor bugs that will be fixed and polished in time for Assetto Corsa 1.0.

During the whole process, the AI, Multiplayer and damage model features will be progressively added in the scheduled time, in order to close in short time the final release, that will include the career mode and other exclusive contents.

Gentlemen, start your modems!
r8response
Cry baby
Cry baby

Post by r8response »

Was just about to post the same thing Giz, but couldn't be fucked reformatting everything.

I'll wait a week or two to see what the general consensus is.
Duke
Dukester Maldonado
Dukester Maldonado

Post by Duke »

FFS why is it that every new race-sim goes through this pre-release / beta in development scenario nowadays? :shake:
We bagged LFS for it for years but now we have this, rFactor 2, SIMBIN's RRRE & dare I say it iRacing & pCARS all doing it, maybe in slightly different guises but it's still the same result. :nod:
OK so we get to play something rather than nothing but seriously I would much rather a fully fledged, feature complete RTM release than this... Argh!!! :rolleyes:
Dukester

norbs diplomacy lesson 101: "If I was putting words in your mouth, you'd know."
SE1Z

Post by SE1Z »

Wait....So... does this mean everyone will have the option to purchase through steam, or only the early backers?
Steve
---