rFactor 2 - Beta Released

ISI's new sim rFactor
Duke
Dukester Maldonado
Dukester Maldonado

Re: rFactor 2 - Beta Released

Post by Duke »

For those that have purchased rF2 which package would you recommend, the Standard or Lifetime?
I suspect rF2 will be much like rF1 and only really be an offline AI sim but just want to make sure I'm not missing anything if I don't buy the lifetime (online) package?
I see you can convert a Standard to Lifetime later for about $50 so there is always that option as well I guess. ;)
Dukester

norbs diplomacy lesson 101: "If I was putting words in your mouth, you'd know."
Righteous
Master artist
Master artist

Post by Righteous »

Fark me Flinty! Is there a sim you haven't played yet?
Duke
Dukester Maldonado
Dukester Maldonado

Post by Duke »

Righteous wrote:Fark me Flinty! Is there a sim you haven't played yet?
Yep, p.C.A.R.S as I never knew it existed until it was closed which I am slightly pissed about to be frank. :(
Now remember I didn't sim for probably 5 or 6 yrs since I stopped LFS around the time AAL finished, a lot has changed since then but in some ways a lot hasn't. :rofl:
Dukester

r8response
Cry baby
Cry baby

Post by r8response »

pCars isn't a sim!
Righteous
Master artist
Master artist

Post by Righteous »

Flinty72 wrote:
Righteous wrote:Fark me Flinty! Is there a sim you haven't played yet?
Yep, p.C.A.R.S as I never knew it existed until it was closed which I am slightly pissed about to be frank. :(
Now remember I didn't sim for probably 5 or 6 yrs since I stopped LFS around the time AAL finished, a lot has changed since then but in some ways a lot hasn't. :rofl:
Catching up on lost time it seems :D
Scottie

Post by Scottie »

I'm tempted to get this game again... I had a shot at it originally, but I'd only get it for offline play to drive in the dynamic conditions, with proper water lines (wide karting lines, etc).

My only concern is the add-on tracks... do they have all the dynamic surface features also, or is it only the ISI tracks that support it?

I loved the first rFactor, but as this is still Beta and just a bit of fun, I'm temtative before I shell out the lifetime cost (either get it or dont!)
matticooper

Post by matticooper »

some of the tracks have the build-up, and some of them don't. It's still a bit hit and miss, but there is more content coming each week.
GT VIRUS
Karen

Post by GT VIRUS »

Surprising some of the add-on tracks don't have it as is fairly easy to put onto the road surface.

My main issue with this is that the 'beta' tag and how it is effecting the mod teams, who cannot focus on the physics side as they change every build and could break things. With progress towards a full release being so slow I just can't support it.

Also it looks crap with HDR on, and cartoony with it off
Duke
Dukester Maldonado
Dukester Maldonado

Post by Duke »

Some previews of the Panoz AIV Roadster... looks cool except for the tool driving it!!!

Dukester

Exar Kun
Sensible Mick

Post by Exar Kun »

Looks a little like Jethro from EVO magazine.
"If we can hit that bull's-eye, the rest of the dominoes will fall like a house of cards. Checkmate!"
Duke
Dukester Maldonado
Dukester Maldonado

Post by Duke »

I'm getting itchy on purchasing this, with so many good reviews coming out with each build, especially about the Panoz Roadster.
Then add this: http://rfactor.net/web/2014/03/27/kart-preview/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
And to top it off many great mods out or planned for the near future it is starting to sound like a good sim to have for some offline fun.

So this leads me to ask those who own it... when a new build comes out how is the update loaded, automatically or is it a new install?
Dukester

Brett_S

Post by Brett_S »

Flinty72 wrote:So this leads me to ask those who own it... when a new build comes out how is the update loaded, automatically or is it a new install?
I may be wrong as it's been a while since I fired it up - I think the launcher had an update function which checks your current version and then updates accordingly.

I wonder if they have fixed the horrible spiking in the FFB...
This is the way the world works, if you want want to find some quality friends you have to wade through all the d**ks first - Eric Cartman
Woodee
Clean as a Whistle
Clean as a Whistle

Post by Woodee »

Brett_S wrote:
Flinty72 wrote:So this leads me to ask those who own it... when a new build comes out how is the update loaded, automatically or is it a new install?
I may be wrong as it's been a while since I fired it up - I think the launcher had an update function which checks your current version and then updates accordingly.

I wonder if they have fixed the horrible spiking in the FFB...
correct.

also it depends what wheel you have as I have G25 and it is ok.
My Fundraising Journey

Raised over £1000 for the Scoliosis Campaign Fund from 2011-2013.
richo

Post by richo »

Whoever said Pcars isnt a sim has a bloody strange idea of what a sim is . Its not anywhere near perfect but the MP is pretty bloody good and most of the cars drive nicely too especially the 1M its a hoot to drive and imho and very ordinary skills it feels better than the version in AC. Not a fanboy as such but its not just a game.

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk
[]D [] []v[] []D
Duke
Dukester Maldonado
Dukester Maldonado

Post by Duke »

Richo, Pcars or rF2?
Dukester

richo

Post by richo »

Pcars .
[]D [] []v[] []D
r8response
Cry baby
Cry baby

Post by r8response »

They've just released a Go-Kart addon and track..

[youtube]t7sBB-oBAas [/youtube]

Going to reinstall just to give this a blast
GT VIRUS
Karen

Post by GT VIRUS »

Argh, this just reminds me of how behind the times rfactor 2 is. Having to download updates from the isi website one at a time is very painful, and I have to manually check the version numbers to see if the other content is up to date.
Duke
Dukester Maldonado
Dukester Maldonado

Post by Duke »

Image Space Incorporated has revealed the next licensed content coming to their rFactor 2 simulation as the 2014 Formula Renault car.

The brand new 2014 car will replace the existing Formula Renault in rFactor 2, the car is currently being tested and will be released within a few days, before Indianapolis & the Dallara DW-12 Indycar.

The car set will come with various liveries from the real championship, including the car of series leader Carlos Sainz Jr.

Dukester

Duke
Dukester Maldonado
Dukester Maldonado

Post by Duke »

Dukester

Duke
Dukester Maldonado
Dukester Maldonado

Post by Duke »

Indy car and Indy Now Available!

EDIT: The following is certainly something I'm looking forward to.
This is basically the first release of a bigger Indycar related content deal.
In the near future, ISI will also release the Reynard 95i, March 86C, Eagle Mk4, Cooper T54 and Watson Roadster for rFactor 2.
Dukester

Woodee
Clean as a Whistle
Clean as a Whistle

Post by Woodee »

They also released the C6R Pace car.... but at the moment I can't get it to use it on track yet.
My Fundraising Journey

Raised over £1000 for the Scoliosis Campaign Fund from 2011-2013.
Duke
Dukester Maldonado
Dukester Maldonado

Post by Duke »

Image Space incorporated has announced to be offering 64-bit executables for their rFactor 2 simulation soon.
The 64 bit executables will come with various advantages in terms of memory usage as explained by ISI below:
We’ve been hard at work recently on the overall experience rFactor 2 provides. Key to this; decreasing the chances of users running out of system memory, and increasing code efficiency with more range for CPU instructions, improving overall performance.

What uses system memory, and why? Well, system memory (RAM) has much faster access times than a hard drive or swap file. Games use RAM to read, write and temporarily store items for quicker access than other storage methods.

For something like rFactor 2, this means every car, race track, car livery, track building, texture of grass, asphalt, concrete – everything you see in the simulation – takes up RAM. The more cars you add (be they A.I. or in multiplayer), the larger the track, or the more detail you have to load, the more RAM is filled.

With a 32-bit environment, it is only possible to allocate to 4GB of RAM. These days, with increased texture sizes, more accurate 3D models – like we have been producing since our first release of Silverstone Circuit – 4GB is becoming a lower ceiling.

A 64-bit environment is a fantastic thing, it can theoretically handle 17.2 billion GB of RAM. By going 64-bit, you effectively take the ceiling off. Systems with 8GB, 16GB or more can take advantage by running on larger tracks, with higher texture levels and more cars.

We highly recommend that upon release, those with suitable systems try our new 64bit executables. However, what about those of you who can’t? Good news! We have also made memory usage gains in 32-bit during this process. Not only will those using our new 64-bit executables gain from this work, 32-bit users will as well, although it is important to remember that in 32-bit, a 4GB limit will always hang over you if you run high texture levels, or many opponent cars. However, going forward, effective use of the swap file beyond the RAM limit may allow you to bypass halted execution at the expense of performance.
Dukester

Duke
Dukester Maldonado
Dukester Maldonado

Post by Duke »

Image Space Incorporated have released a comprehensive update for the four GT cars in their rFactor 2 simulation.
As you can see in the change log, the new car versions come with plenty of physics & graphics improvements so rFactor 2 users should make sure to update to the newest version.
Older versions of the same car should be uninstalled before attempting to install the new versions.
To install simply drop the new files into your rFactor 2 packages directory, and use the mod manager to install.
Dukester

Duke
Dukester Maldonado
Dukester Maldonado

Post by Duke »

The NSX and Tiger Moth will likely be the next two releases for rFactor 2
Tiger Moth Aerodrome is based off Dunsfold Aerodrome, which Top Gear UK uses as their test track. It will be a first-party circuit, utilizing assets Tuttle brought along with him in since being hired by ISI. This track will also feature racing layouts, which is a solid fit for the classic open wheel race cars.
The Honda NSX will be the first content released under ISI’s “Third Party Affiliate” program. Image Space Incorporated has contracted third party developers to help design cars and tracks for rFactor 2, to help boost content growth.
The NSX is developed by Siim Annuk based of his previously released NSX for rFactor 1 by Niels Heusinkveld & Siim. This mod was known to be one of the best mods for rFactor.
In this video we can see the physics engineer (presumably Niels Heusinkveld) take the car for a test session on the upcoming Tiger Moth test track.
[youtube] [/youtube]
Dukester