600km's in 4 days in 6 months - Tell him he's dreaming

CyclARSEts talk in here.
Vilante
Master artist
Master artist

600km's in 4 days in 6 months - Tell him he's dreaming

Post by Vilante »

I need help to tell my boss how crazy this is.

He wants he and I to enter this big charity ride in September. It's 600km's in 4 days as the title implies. The biggest day is 170km's.

It's all out near Dubbo.

He's done no ridining in a couple of years but has ridden a bit in the past. You know my status, riding about 25-30km's per week. I am getting fitter though running about 30km's a week as well.

So, what sort of training would we have to do to get to that level. What sort of km's per week would you need to be covering that distance in 4 days at a reasonable speed (say my current 20km/h)?

I did laugh at him but he's serious.

:melt:
norbs
fucking right wing vegan lesbian

Re: 600km's in 4 days in 6 months - Tell him he's dreaming

Post by norbs »

Well Jason and I are looking at something similar. 850kms in 6 days.

I would say you'd have to start really riding a lot. 200+kms a week as soon as possible. You will need to build up to it obviously, but you will need to get bike fit. I haven't ever done that sort of distance in that sort of time. I know how much 500kms in 7 days hurt.

You will need to start doing 100km rides in the next couple of months I reckon.

I say do it. Like I said to Rod, the feeling you get is fantastic.
Sarc ; my second favourite type of gasm.
Vilante
Master artist
Master artist

Post by Vilante »

Well Jebus, you're no help haha.

So would that 200km's per week be a long ride on a weekend day and a couple of decent rides during the week? Does it matter how they're split?

Just wondering as I'd like to continue to run so would need to factor that in. Providing I could still walk of course.
norbs

Post by norbs »

Vilante wrote:Well Jebus, you're no help haha.

So would that 200km's per week be a long ride on a weekend day and a couple of decent rides during the week? Does it matter how they're split?

Just wondering as I'd like to continue to run so would need to factor that in. Providing I could still walk of course.

Sorry Mando, but I am just being realistic. I don't want to sound like a negative Nelly, but 150kms a day for 4 days is going to be hard work. You'll want to be going faster than 20kph as well. 20kph for 600kms is 30 hours. 25kph for 600kms is 24 hours. That is a huge difference in 4 days.

To continue the theme, I wouldn't want to be doing it on my old bike either. :)

Again, all that said, it would be an enormous buzz to do it and finish it. Kudos to you if you take it on.
Vilante
Master artist
Master artist

Post by Vilante »

norbs wrote:
Vilante wrote:Well Jebus, you're no help haha.

Sorry Mando, but I am just being realistic. I don't want to sound like a negative Nelly, but 150kms a day for 4 days is going to be hard work. You'll want to be going faster than 20kph as well. 20kph for 600kms is 30 hours. 25kph for 600kms is 24 hours. That is a huge difference in 4 days.

To continue the theme, I wouldn't want to be doing it on my old bike either. :)

Again, all that said, it would be an enormous buzz to do it and finish it. Kudos to you if you take it on.
I meant you're being no help in talking me out of it :) I understand there's a massive amount of training ahead if I do take it on.

Yeah I thought about the bike too. I assume I could get through most of the training on the old girl with a view to getting something racier around June or July or something (or knowing me earlier).
w00dsy
The Senna of Hoppers Crossing

Post by w00dsy »

If you're going to get a new bike do it as early as possible. Being comfortable on the bike is hugely important and you'll need plenty of time on a curly handle bar bike to get used to the more bent over position. My back and neck get sore after about 70km.
wobblysauce
Seen it, Done it, Invented it!

Post by wobblysauce »

Are you going to be all lycra-onsey... as with Norbs.. faster the better.. with in reason dont want to hurt yourself now.
Some play it safe on the merry-go-round, others go for the thrills of the roller-coaster.

ᕙ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ᕗ vs ლ(ಠ益ಠ)ლ

I have a joke for you. I have a prediction that you are going to walk into a bar, my prediction was wrong and your wallet is gone.
CLP
C grade super domestique

Post by CLP »

maybe i'll be the voice of reason.. lol
based on what you're saying, i reckon you'd both struggle (more so for your boss). I suspect that you could probably get through a day, but then backing it up the next day for an equally long ride might be a little on the taxing side. Could you do it?? probably. would you enjoy it?? debatable. Would it be a awesome experience?? undoubtedly :)

if you're currently doing 25-30k per week then you'd want to get into training fast. accepted wisdom is that you shouldn't increase your ride distances by more than 10% to prevent injury. How valid that is i couldn't tell you since i never follow it!

I agree with w00dsy though.. if you're planning to get a new bike, get it sooner rather than later, get it properly fitted and do your training on that. You need to be comfortable on the bike and you also need to have confidence in your equipment.

Oh.. and another thing.. Chamois Cream.. get a bucket of it ;)
Crowella

Post by Crowella »

Can only echo everything that has been said here.

I believe you* can most certainly do a 170km ride in a day. It would be a chore, there will be a few stops and it wouldn't be quick but it would possible. 600km in 4 days I would think is also possible based on your fitness with running/cycling combined but I would strongly advise against it for now. You should work yourself up to doing around +200km a week with at least one 100km ride to get used to being in the saddle for so long and preserving yourself for endurance riding. Then I would imagine you would be sweet and probably enjoy the ride so much more. Won't be saying it is easy.

Is this ride supported by a vehicle and how does accommodation go? These will end up being huge factors in how you recover/ride. A support vehicle will mentally relieve you a bit in my opinion.

From my experience, I made a leap from 50km being the most I would ride after 6 months to doing 100km for a group ride. Not just that distance, but at a nimble 28kph, a good average speed on a flat bar bike that weighs 12-13kg. The 60-70km mark was the only place I called out to stop voluntarily, just to stretch, rest and feel fine on the bike again. The feeling was awesome but I could not think I would be able to achieve that again the next day, or at least as quick as I did.

Would love to do something like this in the future, maybe once I have the new bike. September seems to be the month for these rides. At this rate, I think we will all be simultaneously on the road.

*You implying Vilante, not Vil's boss sadly, he sounds like he needs to be on the bike now and consistently be training.
Vilante
Master artist
Master artist

Post by Vilante »

Thanks heaps for the replies guys.

Really hard to know whether to take the leap or not. I have some experience training hard I guess, I was up to running 40km"s a week at the end of last year but got stopped by a niggling injury, hence being back to 25 odd and working back up. Running has the same 10% rule.

I've always used riding as a secondary to the running just to keep the fitness going on the days I can't run so I've never really pushed myself. I may be able to ride much further than 25km. I was going to try it out today but it's pouring rain this morning. Maybe tomorrow.

The ride has support vehicles and all accommodation is previously organized. The cost is somewhere around $800 plus raffle ticket sales for the charity side of things.

Im told work will pay the base $800 though.

Hmmm...

:)
norbs

Post by norbs »

Pros and cons Vil.

Weigh them up and make a decision.

I am doing the ride with Rod because I know it will be awesome. It is going to cost me a fair bit of cash, lost wages, accommodation, food etc, but it is something I have wanted to do since completing the last challenge in 2005. I have said if it was organised by someone else, I would do it. :)
w00dsy
The Senna of Hoppers Crossing

Post by w00dsy »

To put it into perspective for you Mando, imagine running 20km for 4 days in a row.
CLP
C grade super domestique

Post by CLP »

remember also that running fitness (which it sound like you have in spades) won't necessarily translate to bike fitness... i know first hand it doesn't work the other way around! :fall:
Vilante
Master artist
Master artist

Post by Vilante »

Very true CLP, I remember the first time I tried to do any more than half an hour on the bike I found that. The hard bit I find is the legs. I've always had pretty powerful legs but not for riding. Hopefully it translates somehow ha.

I don't like that perspective w00dsy :) I reckon fitness wise (with plenty of will power) I could give that a run. I'd probably break down on the third day with injury though!

At the moment I'm only doing the longer Saturday ride and one other ride say 15km's. That's not because I can't do more but because my focus is running. If next week I did a 15km ride on Monday, a 15km ride on Thursday and a 30km ride on Saturday I've done 60km for the week. It would take me 13 weeks to get up to 200km per week using the 10% rule or or 9 weeks using 15%. So that's late May or late April.

That would give me 3.5 months doing 200km's per week, saving injury or incident, to get used to hills and riding a long way. I assume I'd have to incude a few longer runs similar to those done in the actual ride in that time too.

So technically it can be done.

:tilt:
norbs

Post by norbs »

Got a link to the ride details Mando? My memory of Dubbo is that it is pretty flat.
Vilante
Master artist
Master artist

Post by Vilante »

No I can't see it on the net anywhere. Will grab the details at work Monday morning and post them up.
Vilante
Master artist
Master artist

Post by Vilante »

OK, so it looks like the boss is chickening out. Shame but let's be honest. I would have struggled just to get to the start line on the second day.

BUT, my curiosity has been peaked and I would really like to get more serious about riding. My focus will remain on the running, want to get a half marathon done in May, but I would like to ramp up the riding at the same time.

How many times per week do I need to be riding to get a solid base going? Is my long ride on Saturday enough or do I need another day in there also? Would a spin class suffice as another day? Just considering that I hate getting up early during the week (already do for weight training) and it's going to be dark in the afternoon soon losing daylight savings.

My Father likes his riding so would like to get fit enough to go on some trips with him, need to hang out with him more etc. He does a few 100km charity rides throughout the year and about a 70km or so rides most Saturday's.

I currently run Tuesday, Wednesday, Friday and Sunday. Sunday is the long run so Monday I swim to recover so that leaves Thursday and Saturday. Currently I swim or ride on Thursday and do my long ride on Saturday.

Thanks for all your help guys :yes:
CLP
C grade super domestique

Post by CLP »

Vilante wrote:OK, so it looks like the boss is chickening out. Shame but let's be honest. I would have struggled just to get to the start line on the second day.
i think that's probably for the best ....
Vilante wrote:
How many times per week do I need to be riding to get a solid base going? Is my long ride on Saturday enough or do I need another day in there also? Would a spin class suffice as another day?
i think you would need at least another decent day in there to maintain ride fitness. What you're saying sounds similar to preparation for a triathlon... maybe have a look at some Tri forums and see how they train? If you can't get out on the road, a ride on the trainer or a spin class is probably a decent substitute..
Quincy

Post by Quincy »

All this talk of exercise, you're making me tired. . . Best I lay down and have a mid-day nanna nap. :faint:
balls & boobs. . .
CLP
C grade super domestique

Post by CLP »

Quincy wrote:All this talk of exercise, you're making me tired. . . Best I lay down and have a mid-day nanna nap. :faint:
I think that'd be for the best..
:nod:
Vilante
Master artist
Master artist

Post by Vilante »

CLP wrote:
Vilante wrote:OK, so it looks like the boss is chickening out. Shame but let's be honest. I would have struggled just to get to the start line on the second day.
i think that's probably for the best ....
Vilante wrote:
How many times per week do I need to be riding to get a solid base going? Is my long ride on Saturday enough or do I need another day in there also? Would a spin class suffice as another day?
i think you would need at least another decent day in there to maintain ride fitness. What you're saying sounds similar to preparation for a triathlon... maybe have a look at some Tri forums and see how they train? If you can't get out on the road, a ride on the trainer or a spin class is probably a decent substitute..
Thanks a lot CLP.

I've had a look at some tri training and it's pretty much what I'm doing with more swimming in place of my running. Need to be doing a ride one night per week as well as the Saturday. I guess spin class can be a fill in if it's raining.