Wind trainers

CyclARSEts talk in here.
Gizmo
forum fairy - in a gay way!

Wind trainers

Post by Gizmo »

So I'm looking at upgrading my wind trainer. I currently have a Jet Black trainer, this is just the base model. I'm not that impressed with it. The bike is never straight and it always rocks. It has no resistance so even when I'm in my tallest gear I'm still doing 110rpm easily and not really getting a workout.

I don't know anything about wind trainers, what are the features I should be looking for? Gel, Hydro or a good old fashion cable? I want something that will feel like I'm riding on the road. Quite happy to buy from online retailers like Wiggle if the price is better.

Any help/suggestions would be appreicated :yes:
CLP
C grade super domestique

Re: Wind trainers

Post by CLP »

Gizmo wrote:So I'm looking at upgrading my wind trainer. I currently have a Jet Black trainer, this is just the base model. I'm not that impressed with it. The bike is never straight and it always rocks. It has no resistance so even when I'm in my tallest gear I'm still doing 110rpm easily and not really getting a workout.

I don't know anything about wind trainers, what are the features I should be looking for? Gel, Hydro or a good old fashion cable? I want something that will feel like I'm riding on the road. Quite happy to buy from online retailers like Wiggle if the price is better.

Tacx Bushido :yes:

edit: what do you need your trainer for? this is probably an important question. Do you need the trainer to replicate real life "road feel", or are you happy with massive amounts of resistance that make it feel like you are riding through treacle? What's your budget too?
markus

Post by markus »

CLP wrote:
Gizmo wrote:So I'm looking at upgrading my wind trainer. I currently have a Jet Black trainer, this is just the base model. I'm not that impressed with it. The bike is never straight and it always rocks. It has no resistance so even when I'm in my tallest gear I'm still doing 110rpm easily and not really getting a workout.

Tacx Bushido :yes:

edit: what do you need your trainer for? this is probably an important question. Do you need the trainer to replicate real life "road feel", or are you happy with massive amounts of resistance that make it feel like you are riding through treacle? What's your budget too?
Whatever you do, checkout http://www.trainerroad.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; and http://www.thesufferfest.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; and pick a trainer that is compatible with trainerroad. Over here we have a 6 month winter and without trainerroad and/or sufferfest I'd loose my marbles driving inside for the most part of the year.

I've got Tacx Satori and Galaxia - happy with both. I've heard good things about Kurt Kinetic Rock-and-roll.
Much cycling such kilometers.
CLP
C grade super domestique

Post by CLP »

markus wrote: Whatever you do, checkout http://www.trainerroad.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; and http://www.thesufferfest.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; and pick a trainer that is compatible with trainerroad. Over here we have a 6 month winter and without trainerroad and/or sufferfest I'd loose my marbles driving inside for the most part of the year.

I've got Tacx Satori and Galaxia - happy with both. I've heard good things about Kurt Kinetic Rock-and-roll.
given that trainerroad seems to rely on ANT+, i'd presume any trainer is compatible if you already have say a garmin bike computer installed... just looking at the screen shots, it doesn't look that different to Tacx Training Software that comes with their VR trainers.

those Tacx Galaxia look interesting. .. if i was buying another set of rollers i'd definitely be looking at them :)

for the most part, i prefer rollers because they have a more natural feel to them.. but i was reluctant to suggest those before finding out what Gizmo's trainer requirements were :)
markus

Post by markus »

CLP wrote:
markus wrote: Whatever you do, checkout http://www.trainerroad.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; and http://www.thesufferfest.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; and pick a trainer that is compatible with trainerroad. Over here we have a 6 month winter and without trainerroad and/or sufferfest I'd loose my marbles driving inside for the most part of the year.

given that trainerroad seems to rely on ANT+, i'd presume any trainer is compatible if you already have say a garmin bike computer installed... just looking at the screen shots, it doesn't look that different to Tacx Training Software that comes with their VR trainers.
Trainerroad needs an Ant+ usb stick on the computer and then a trainer that has a measured power curve available. And with Sufferfest it night and day difference from that VR stuff (=not boring :) )
those Tacx Galaxia look interesting. .. if i was buying another set of rollers i'd definitely be looking at them :)

for the most part, i prefer rollers because they have a more natural feel to them.. but i was reluctant to suggest those before finding out what Gizmo's trainer requirements were :)
Yep, the first 15 minutes on the rollers were the scariest 15 minutes of my life. Took several sessions before I could even think about changing hand positions, or gears, or drinking.
Gizmo

Post by Gizmo »

Thanks for there plays guys. I don't really have enough time during the week to head out on the roads. With the commute to and from work I'm out the door at 6am and home at 6pm. Looking for a trainer which I could jump on a couple of nights a week so I can ride more than just on the weekend........yes I that eager :D

As for my budget. Would like to keep it under $300 but really don't know what a decent trainer would set me back.
Gizmo

Post by Gizmo »

Just looking at wiggle and some products are upwards of $700. There was a Trax VR trainer for $1500.....wtfbbq..... :fall:
Will I need to spend a little more to get a decent one?
markus

Post by markus »

Gizmo wrote:Just looking at wiggle and some products are upwards of $700. There was a Trax VR trainer for $1500.....wtfbbq..... :fall:
Will I need to spend a little more to get a decent one?
Tacx Satori is under 200€ at Wiggle which if I'm not mistaken is $253 - with postage I'd guess it's just under $300 :)
CLP
C grade super domestique

Post by CLP »

if you want something that feels like actual road riding, grab a set of rollers.. :) i think you could be able to get the TACX Galaxia for under $300
Gizmo

Post by Gizmo »

Found these two
http://www.wiggle.co.uk/tacx-galexia-rollers/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.wiggle.co.uk/tacx-booster-ul ... c-trainer/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I like the idea of the rollers, is it like riding on the road? I'm not going to be doping 110+ rpm in top gear am I?
Vilante
Master artist
Master artist

Post by Vilante »

If the trainer is $1,500.00 how much is the bike worth you stick on top of it? :)
CLP
C grade super domestique

Post by CLP »

Gizmo wrote: I like the idea of the rollers, is it like riding on the road? I'm not going to be doping 110+ rpm in top gear am I?
rollers are much closer to riding on the road than most trainers since you need to balance/steer. Much steeper learning curve though.

i doubt you'd be doing 110 rpm in top gear.. not for a while anyway :P
Gizmo

Post by Gizmo »

Cool. Might go the rollers :) cheers for the advice fellas!