Speedy internet!

Computer and electronic gizmo support.
ysu
Smooth Lubricator.

Re: Speedy internet!

Post by ysu »

Which reminds me. Do you guys know if there's any more accurate way to tell how's the NBN faring than their site?
( I mean this one: http://www.nbnco.com.au/when-do-i-get-i ... t-map.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; )

'cause on the map the house we're moving into (in Chittaway Bay) is showing up as:
Fibre | Construction commenced - construction commenced in your area on Aug 2012
which is great, they say the avg completion is 12 months, but that's it. Nothing about a more detailed status...an I wants the NBN bad!!! :D
Surprise, no sig. Now there is. Or is there?
DexterPunk
Busted ARSE

Post by DexterPunk »

It's about to be scrapped anyway once Abbott gets in.

Sent from Han Solo using TK-421's phone.
r8response
Cry baby
Cry baby

Post by r8response »

DexterPunk wrote:It's about to be scrapped anyway once Abbott gets in.

The next three years worth of work is already contracted. The government would be faced with rather large legal bills (among other things) if they tried to cancel them.
Durrie

Post by Durrie »

petey wrote:I have to say a few months later and I am still very impressed with the Telstra DOCSIS 3.0.

Particularly in steam I am amazed at the speed I can hold and somehow still browse the web etc. with no noticeable impact.

DexterPunk wrote:Yep. It's damn quick hey. And people say you'd rarely max out because the servers can't provide the speed, but I seem to consistently get massive speed. Even using torrents it's not uncommon to pull things down at near 10MB/s. and I get the same as you on steam. If only you could get the same speed upstream.

In the debate the other night Abbott was going on about their bullshit NBN giving 25Mbps. What a joke, I had that speed hooked up 15 years ago.
I confess. I'm a bit confused.

Are you comparing megabytes/s with megabits/s ? Steam (under the DOCSIS) at 13MBytes versus ADSL at 25Mbits ? Is that the speed difference?

If its not, and they are both megabytes (or bits), then I can't see how 13 of them is better than 25 of them.

Is it the case that the speed of our internet (and NBN) is ultimately determined by how fast the server we connect to can upload? I get a mental image of a scooter put-putting through the Sydney Harbour Tunnel. My upload rate (even the contracturally specified maximum one) is a mere fraction of the specified download. Does this mean the NBN will only really work if we only want data from large corporations with big upload capabilities and capacity?
DexterPunk
Busted ARSE

Post by DexterPunk »

13-14 MegaBytes per sec roughly equates to 100 Mega bits per sec.

I wasn't comparing them as such, just stating that I had close to 25Mbps hooked up with Telstra cable about 15 years ago. But since you mentioned it... The current DOCSIS 3.0 is 4x faster than Abbott's proposed NBN.

Durrie

Post by Durrie »

Ah! Thanks.

So it does depend on whether the b is a capital B or a lower-case b :D

I'm not sure what Abbott's plan for NBN has to do with DOCSIS. Can you explain it a bit more for me? Is the plan to remove the cable that is/will be already in place?
dvestate
Prize Winning ARSE

Post by dvestate »

I'm hanging for the end of the year for 1GB goodness :)

ysu - the house you are moving to does it have the NBN gear on premise yet? As R8 said you should get it because that work has been contracted out already and will go ahead.

That is why the Libs are saying there will be a % of Fibre to premise because they can't just pull the pin on the stuff that has already be contracted.
ysu
Smooth Lubricator.

Post by ysu »

Durrie wrote:Ah! Thanks.

I'm not sure what Abbott's plan for NBN has to do with DOCSIS. Can you explain it a bit more for me? Is the plan to remove the cable that is/will be already in place?
nah, abbot wants what they call "fibre to the node" - i.e. fibre to the Telstra exchange, and then the same shitty copper you had before. i.e. fucking no change, just money in big T's pocket, using outdated tech with no way to upgrade, which needs constant maintenance and which needs to be fully powered to work.
ysu
Smooth Lubricator.

Post by ysu »

dvestate wrote:I'm hanging for the end of the year for 1GB goodness :)

ysu - the house you are moving to does it have the NBN gear on premise yet? As R8 said you should get it because that work has been contracted out already and will go ahead.

That is why the Libs are saying there will be a % of Fibre to premise because they can't just pull the pin on the stuff that has already be contracted.
No it's not completed yet. The area is in the 'commenced' zone as I said, and I'm just wondering if there's a chance to find out a more accurate status of things.
Exar Kun
Sensible Mick

Post by Exar Kun »

I've been to two conferences this year. There were between 300 and 400 delegates at each. At both conferences the network/internet connections were brought down because the hotels hadn't anticipated the demand. There were over 1000 devices connected at each conference. Everyone had smart phones, tablets and laptops all chugging away.

Now, that issue was, of course, an internal one with the hotels themselves but it does illustrate why we'll need the capacity that the NBN brings. It's not about being able to point at steam or torrent downloads and say look at how fast this is! It's the simple fact that more and more homes are going to have a ridiculous amount of connectivity. Our house has two smart phones, two tablets, two laptops, a desktop, an internet radio, a PVR and a PS3 all connected. It's only going to get worse - we'll be streaming video on multiple devices. With Abbot's cut down NBN my speeds won't be any higher - I can only get 8mbit. Our office is on ADSL2+ but can also only get 8mbit despite being less than 1 km from the exchange as the crow flies. My mother in law gets about 15mbit from the same exchange and at about the same distance but in the other direction. Our speeds are so wildly dependent on the quality of the copper that isn't going to be touched by the cut down NBN it makes me wonder what's the point of doing it at all? Do it properly the first time. It costs too much but every government project does. It shits me how no one wants to invest in long term infrastructure in this country.
"If we can hit that bull's-eye, the rest of the dominoes will fall like a house of cards. Checkmate!"
plastik8

Post by plastik8 »

ysu wrote:Which reminds me. Do you guys know if there's any more accurate way to tell how's the NBN faring than their site?
( I mean this one: http://www.nbnco.com.au/when-do-i-get-i ... t-map.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; )

'cause on the map the house we're moving into (in Chittaway Bay) is showing up as:
Fibre | Construction commenced - construction commenced in your area on Aug 2012
which is great, they say the avg completion is 12 months, but that's it. Nothing about a more detailed status...an I wants the NBN bad!!! :D
Check this site out. Seems to be quite comprehensive yet easy to understand. For each area it shows some detailed information, plus the history of the ETA (so you can see (if) it's slipping over time). Here's my area for example: http://www.mynbn.info/fsam/5PRO-03" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Scheduled for March 2014, originally was scheduled for October 2013 . I'm happy either way - I've already got 100Mbit Telstra Cable. :D

The site also shows which areas are expected to go ahead even if Liberal win the election. (Go to the home page to see that info).
Last edited by plastik8 on Wed Aug 14, 2013 12:12 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Image[url=steam://friends/add/76561197971333750]Image[/url]
petey

Post by petey »

Durrie wrote:Ah! Thanks.

I was simply saying that DOCSIS 3.0 is a very good provider of internet as it currently sits, however if say everyone in my neighbourhood joined up - it would most definitely suffer quite a bit. It can't handle that many people at 100mbps. Whereas the NBN can handle that easily.

And indeed even if/when NBN rolls out all over australia, if you are trying to stream 1080p videos from america or anywhere else in the world you will still probably struggle due to having to rely on the overseas connection.

However if NBN does make it to most of Australia I should think you will find most things you are looking for on a server in Australia.
If you can leave two black stripes from the exit of one corner to the braking zone of the next, you finally have enough horsepower.
ysu
Smooth Lubricator.

Post by ysu »

plastik8 wrote: Check this site out. Seems to be quite comprehensive yet easy to understand. For each area it shows some detailed information, plus the history of the ETA (so you can see (if) it's slipping over time). Here's my area for example: http://www.mynbn.info/fsam/5PRO-03" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Scheduled for March 2014, originally was scheduled for October 2013 . I'm happy either way - I've already got 100Mbit Telstra Cable. :D

The site also shows which areas are expected to go ahead even if Liberal win the election. (Go to the home page to see that info).
awesome! Thanks mate, exactly what I was looking for.
This is my (future) area: http://www.mynbn.info/fsam/2LJT-02" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Expected RFS date: 28 Sep '13
Hell yeah! :vibes:
r8response
Cry baby
Cry baby

Post by r8response »

ysu wrote:nah, abbot wants what they call "fibre to the node" - i.e. fibre to the Telstra exchange, and then the same shitty copper you had before. i.e. fucking no change, just money in big T's pocket, using outdated tech with no way to upgrade, which needs constant maintenance and which needs to be fully powered to work.

Almost, but not quite correct.
Brett_S

Post by Brett_S »

I think we're going to be stuck with the Libs plan unfortunately....

No idea if it is going to be any better than the shitty ADSL I currently have - anyone know how they plan to do apartment buildings?

We have had a few high-rises go up in the past couple of years and all of them got NBN straight away - really shits me :D Just do our building while you're here ya slackers :)

On the plus side, my mother in law is getting NBN soon - so we might have to start visiting her more often
This is the way the world works, if you want want to find some quality friends you have to wade through all the d**ks first - Eric Cartman
dvestate
Prize Winning ARSE

Post by dvestate »

Yeah I though the libs plan is Fibre to the street corner then Copper from that point which would certainly give better speeds than ADSL, but you are still relying on the copper from the corner to the house to be decent. Then you have the issue if someone drives there car through the comms cupboard you know out the net for the street
SE1Z

Post by SE1Z »

dvestate wrote:Yeah I though the libs plan is Fibre to the street corner then Copper from that point which would certainly give better speeds than ADSL, but you are still relying on the copper from the corner to the house to be decent. Then you have the issue if someone drives there car through the comms cupboard you know out the net for the street
If libs win, I'm paying to have fibre installed to my house...
Steve
---
dvestate
Prize Winning ARSE

Post by dvestate »

I payed to have the fibre installed into my place........ cost me $330 to have the equipment installed and fibre pushed through to my house from the pit
w00dsy
The Senna of Hoppers Crossing

Post by w00dsy »

dvestate wrote:I payed to have the fibre installed into my place........ cost me $330 to have the equipment installed and fibre pushed through to my house from the pit

i'm not very educated about that, so can you explain it to me like i'm your mother in law? Is it for cable or adsl or something different?
Sarsippius

Post by Sarsippius »

I posted earlier I was soon to be connected but now it seems like I'm simply on the wrong side of the road lol. My address shows as connected on the maps with the boundary between two FSAM's running down the middle of the street but I think the boundary runs behind my building. Currently due to be complete in Feb 2014, If my building was literally 100m up the street I'd be connected right now :melt:
dvestate
Prize Winning ARSE

Post by dvestate »

w00dsy wrote:
dvestate wrote:I payed to have the fibre installed into my place........ cost me $330 to have the equipment installed and fibre pushed through to my house from the pit

i'm not very educated about that, so can you explain it to me like i'm your mother in law? Is it for cable or adsl or something different?
Well I got a ups (with no battery), fibre modem and fibre to the modem. From the NBN info they seem to indicate this cost is covered by them.

Most people that move in out here have no idea and think the come do it here for free

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2
r8response
Cry baby
Cry baby

Post by r8response »

dvestate wrote:Most people that move in out here have no idea and think the come do it here for free
Strange, according to everything I've read, it should be free.
dvestate
Prize Winning ARSE

Post by dvestate »

If you move into a Fibre ready estate which is done by the developer (Greenfield) then user pays
r8response
Cry baby
Cry baby

Post by r8response »

dvestate wrote:If you move into a Fibre ready estate which is done by the developer (Greenfield) then user pays
Gotcha. When (if) NBN.co come knocking on someone's door that isn't a Greenfields site, that'll be completely free.
dvestate
Prize Winning ARSE

Post by dvestate »

Currently yes

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2