Speedy internet!

Computer and electronic gizmo support.
r8response
Cry baby
Cry baby

Re: Speedy internet!

Post by r8response »

25Mbps would be triple my current speed. But that still relies on the shortest possible cable to the node.
petey

Post by petey »

So I ended up switching over to bigpond ultimate. I went the self install option this time so no waiting for some bloke to come knock once and leg it.

However, I am only seeing around 27mbps down. This is rather disappointing, I wouldn't expect the line was that saturated all the time. It was down to 20mbps earlier but has come back up to 25.

The bigpond website does show I am on an ultimate plan. Will have to see if there is maybe something I can do to improve this. ( that being said it is still miles better than my old ADSL2+ )

If you can leave two black stripes from the exit of one corner to the braking zone of the next, you finally have enough horsepower.
DexterPunk
Busted ARSE

Post by DexterPunk »

Are you in a DOCSIS 3.0 area? And using one of the DOCSIS 3.0 modems? I know a few people on it now, and all getting over the 100Mbps.

Sent from Han Solo using TK-421's phone.
petey

Post by petey »

Well according to the website I am in a DOCSIS3.0 area, definitely the right modem.

I have been offered the service before and this time I put the address in and it had no issue. I may give them a call tomorrow and see.

EDIT: Okay so I tested earlier with the laptop and an ethernet cable, I think it may have still been defaulting to wireless. Just tried again and got this
If you can leave two black stripes from the exit of one corner to the braking zone of the next, you finally have enough horsepower.
Hazelb
Master artist
Master artist

Post by Hazelb »

I'm around three clicks of copper from the exchange, getting a speedy 850kbs..bring the nbn I say
DexterPunk
Busted ARSE

Post by DexterPunk »

That's more like it Pete!! :)

DexterPunk
Busted ARSE

Post by DexterPunk »

It's pretty awesome watching downloads go at 13MB/s. Enjoy!

petey

Post by petey »

Need more HDD's and I shall indeed.
ysu
Smooth Lubricator.

Post by ysu »

Hazelb wrote:I'm around three clicks of copper from the exchange, getting a speedy 850kbs..bring the nbn I say
watch out, it's not going to happen with the right wing getting their hands on the controls :(
Surprise, no sig. Now there is. Or is there?
petey

Post by petey »

I have been very impressed so far with this DOCSIS3.0 Cable. It is 100% reliable and I struggle to use the bandwidth.
wobblysauce
Seen it, Done it, Invented it!

Post by wobblysauce »

As with most things once you get to a speed.. every thing else is slow.
Some play it safe on the merry-go-round, others go for the thrills of the roller-coaster.

ᕙ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ᕗ vs ლ(ಠ益ಠ)ლ

I have a joke for you. I have a prediction that you are going to walk into a bar, my prediction was wrong and your wallet is gone.
DexterPunk
Busted ARSE

Post by DexterPunk »

" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
NeilPearson
Prize Winning ARSE

Post by NeilPearson »

:D
Sarsippius

Post by Sarsippius »

Well looks like not too long and I'll be hooked up to the NBN :nod: :D
NBNCo tell me I can go for it right now but for some reason Telstra is the only ISP coming up that I can use, waiting for iinet NBN techs to give me a call back in the morning and see what the go is.
I figure no point in holding back on this so I'm going to sign up for the full 100/40 connection speed :eyepop:

If the libs get in I'm never moving house, just don't tell the wife ;)
ysu
Smooth Lubricator.

Post by ysu »

Lucky bastard. by the way internode is definitely in the offering of NBN plans.
Sarsippius

Post by Sarsippius »

Yeah internode and iinet have very similar offerings, iinet are still saying it's not showing as available in their NBN Co portal so I think it might just be some system update behind the scenes that's still working it's way through, they're are going to chase up NBN Co for me so I'll just sit tight for now.
In any event it shouldn't be very long now :)
petey

Post by petey »

I have to say a few months later and I am still very impressed with the Telstra DOCSIS 3.0.

Particularly in steam I am amazed at the speed I can hold and somehow still browse the web etc. with no noticeable impact.

I can remember a time when I just wanted to get 56k which was nearly double my 33.3kbps. This sort of thing is mindblowing. I imagine the NBN would be slightly better and more reliable also able to hold more customers in the same area. However for the moment if you can get DOCSIS 3.0 I'd go for it.

EDIT: Also just for reference, to show it also held the speed.

DexterPunk
Busted ARSE

Post by DexterPunk »

Yep. It's damn quick hey. And people say you'd rarely max out because the servers can't provide the speed, but I seem to consistently get massive speed. Even using torrents it's not uncommon to pull things down at near 10MB/s. and I get the same as you on steam. If only you could get the same speed upstream.

In the debate the other night Abbott was going on about their bullshit NBN giving 25Mbps. What a joke, I had that speed hooked up 15 years ago.

petey

Post by petey »

And that 25mbps I believe is the ADSL2+ standard so is only realistic if you have exchanges bloody everywhere.
ysu
Smooth Lubricator.

Post by ysu »

petey wrote:And that 25mbps I believe is the ADSL2+ standard so is only realistic if you have exchanges bloody everywhere.
24Mbps I think is the theoretical maximum, and you get over 20K within 1km of the exchange (realistically around 20K within 500m and only on excellent quality cables as far as i know)
norbs
fucking right wing vegan lesbian

Post by norbs »

ysu wrote:
petey wrote:And that 25mbps I believe is the ADSL2+ standard so is only realistic if you have exchanges bloody everywhere.
24Mbps I think is the theoretical maximum, and you get over 20K within 1km of the exchange (realistically around 20K within 500m and only on excellent quality cables as far as i know)
There is 1400m of copper between me and the DSLAM.

I did do most of the joins myself though. :)
Sarc ; my second favourite type of gasm.
petey

Post by petey »

Well going off my adsl2+ experience, being able to walk to the exchange in 2 minutes, yet sync'ing at 14mbps because of the ridiculous line path. I do not rate adsl at all. Added to that the crappy phone lines that would drop out in the rain apparently because birds attack them and leave holes.
norbs
fucking right wing vegan lesbian

Post by norbs »

petey wrote:Well going off my adsl2+ experience, being able to walk to the exchange in 2 minutes, yet sync'ing at 14mbps because of the ridiculous line path. I do not rate adsl at all. Added to that the crappy phone lines that would drop out in the rain apparently because birds attack them and leave holes.
And that is why the Coalitions option is fucked. We will still be using shitty copper that isnt being properly maintained.
Sarc ; my second favourite type of gasm.
w00dsy
The Senna of Hoppers Crossing

Post by w00dsy »

i worked in the main NBN building in the city today. We had to relay old carpet tiles. I said to my mate 'don't let anyone tell you they are wasting money on the NBN because we are laying 2nd hand flooring'. Then the site manager said that last year they spent $250,000 on new desks/shelves fitting out the offices upstairs and they pulled them out a few weeks ago and threw them in the bin. They never got used once.
petey

Post by petey »

Two hundred and fifty thousand on DESKS AND SHELVES? HOW IN THE?