Computer and electronic gizmo support.
r8response
Cry baby
Cry baby

Re: Speedy internet!

Post by r8response »

Diffboy wrote:go to NBN and get 50 / 25
Your point still stands.

Try looking at Aussie Broadband. You can build plan to suit your needs.
pixelboy

Post by pixelboy »

I've got 50/20 and it's HEAPS better than adsl2..
eek
norbs
fucking right wing vegan lesbian

Post by norbs »

Ok, 2nd service is being moved today. Lets see how that goes. Telstra have just chopped it off. I dare say i will still be paying for it like the first service. :D
Sarc ; my second favourite type of gasm.
norbs

Post by norbs »

Well slap my arse and call me Shirley, all done!

92/25 on this connection. Paying for 100/20, so very happy.
pixelboy

Post by pixelboy »

Thats awesome Shirley!

You've gone from one of the slowest to possibly one of the fastest ARSE!
eek
norbs

Post by norbs »

pixelboy wrote:Thats awesome Shirley!

You've gone from one of the slowest to possibly one of the fastest ARSE!

Been a long time struggling with terrible connections. Feels good to finally have a solid connection.
r8response
Cry baby
Cry baby

Post by r8response »

FTTP Oi, oi, oi

50/20 has been more than enough for my usage.
norbs

Post by norbs »

I was actually thinking today, I might throw a cheap LINUX system together with 3 NICs in it and see if I can combine the 2. :D

I doubt it is something that can be done, but would be fucking cool. 180/60
DarrenM

Post by DarrenM »

Looks like it can be done. It will increase your overall bandwidth, but speed of a single direct download won't increase.

https://www.tecmint.com/configure-netwo ... in-ubuntu/
norbs

Post by norbs »

DarrenM wrote:Looks like it can be done. It will increase your overall bandwidth, but speed of a single direct download won't increase.

https://www.tecmint.com/configure-netwo ... in-ubuntu/

yeah, I am pretty sure we used some swanky Juniper gear in the exchanges for this sort of thing, but they were massive bastard things, not something I want at home.

Im just being greedy
DarrenM

Post by DarrenM »

Load balancing router?

https://www.mwave.com.au/product/tplink ... os-aa37187

Just noticed it's only 10/100 so not that one, but there are other not too expensive ones.
smithcorp
Occasional Visitor
Occasional Visitor

Post by smithcorp »

Aussie Broadband has just set up some new faster plans. On HFC, I now have 250/25 - a bit slower upload speed, but better download. Some 7% of HFC customers could get 1000/50 - we did not qualify.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
w00dsy
The Senna of Hoppers Crossing

Post by w00dsy »

Lucky bugger. I'm stuck on FTTN.
pixelboy

Post by pixelboy »

Yeah me too.
eek
petey

Post by petey »

Well that was an easy decision, was already thinking of switching to aussie broadband. Just signed up now. Let's see what we get!

EDIT: Short lived, the email that came through from the order showed 50/20 plan. So called the sales team and she said I must not be able to get the higher speed plan. Staying where I am for now then I guess.
If you can leave two black stripes from the exit of one corner to the braking zone of the next, you finally have enough horsepower.
r8response
Cry baby
Cry baby

Post by r8response »

petey wrote:Well that was an easy decision, was already thinking of switching to aussie broadband. Just signed up now. Let's see what we get!

EDIT: Short lived, the email that came through from the order showed 50/20 plan. So called the sales team and she said I must not be able to get the higher speed plan. Staying where I am for now then I guess.
What kind of NBN connection do you have?
NeilPearson
Prize Winning ARSE

Post by NeilPearson »

the good thing about Aussie Broadband is they wont sell you a product you cant use, ie a 100/20 if your line can only do 50/20.
petey

Post by petey »

I'm on HFC, however I am in the 30% that can't even get the 250/25 plan. I ended up still switching to aussie and staying on a 100/40. Which I am perfectly fine with, would have been nice to have the extra headroom but it's a rare occasion it is a problem.

EDIT: On a side note, calling at 8pm on a saturday night and getting some very helpful people on the phone that were able to make shit happen and have a conversation with was fantastic. Highly recommend them.
On the otherside I called telstra to cancel after my service migrated and spent 20 mins to be told they couldn't do anything. I will likely have to follow up in a few days, since I haven't selected a voip service the Telstra rep told me that telstra would start to charge for my phone line seperate since it's part of the bundle (which I didn't want). When I asked to cancel that he said it was not possible until the other service migrated, just useless.
If you can leave two black stripes from the exit of one corner to the braking zone of the next, you finally have enough horsepower.
smithcorp
Occasional Visitor
Occasional Visitor

Post by smithcorp »

The magic word is "ombudsman"
w00dsy
The Senna of Hoppers Crossing

Post by w00dsy »

Quick tip for Aussie users, if you want to host a multiplayer session you'll need to ring them and get them to remove the CG-NAT from their end. It essentially puts your IP behind one of theirs so it makes it next to impossible to host. It took a 30 second phone call for them to remove it for me. https://www.aussiebroadband.com.au/help ... rt/cg-nat/
norbs

Post by norbs »

petey wrote:I'm on HFC, however I am in the 30% that can't even get the 250/25 plan. I ended up still switching to aussie and staying on a 100/40. Which I am perfectly fine with, would have been nice to have the extra headroom but it's a rare occasion it is a problem.

EDIT: On a side note, calling at 8pm on a saturday night and getting some very helpful people on the phone that were able to make shit happen and have a conversation with was fantastic. Highly recommend them.
On the otherside I called telstra to cancel after my service migrated and spent 20 mins to be told they couldn't do anything. I will likely have to follow up in a few days, since I haven't selected a voip service the Telstra rep told me that telstra would start to charge for my phone line seperate since it's part of the bundle (which I didn't want). When I asked to cancel that he said it was not possible until the other service migrated, just useless.

6 weeks for me. I am still paying for 2 x ADSl and 2 x home phone and 1 x Foxtel. I got the "If we are still billing you, you can continue to use the service". I did an eye roll to make Duke proud.
KNAPPO
Master artist
Master artist

Post by KNAPPO »

Getting NBN finally hooked up on Monday. Will be interesting to see what hand ive been delt.

I know my phone line is split so that will effect it a bit, will get that sorted out after hook up. Ill be on FTTN...
Main node is 900m from the home but we have a mini node on our street thats 270-300m from our house so im hoping we get connected to that.

NeilPearson wrote:the good thing about Aussie Broadband is they wont sell you a product you cant use, ie a 100/20 if your line can only do 50/20.
Ive gone with Aussie BB and have selected the 100/20 connection. Im pretty certain I wont be able to achieve those speeds and will need to move down but I wanted to see how close ill get before moving.
Life is hard...but, life is harder when you're dumb.
r8response
Cry baby
Cry baby

Post by r8response »

KNAPPO wrote:I know my phone line is split so that will effect it a bit, will get that sorted out after hook up. Ill be on FTTN...
I'd advise getting this fixed up sooner, rather than later. A star wired or daisy chained set of sockets inside a house can cause drop outs and lower sync speeds. If you end up with multiple disconnects, the NBN will blame your internal cabling first.
KNAPPO wrote:Main node is 900m from the home but we have a mini node on our street thats 270-300m from our house so im hoping we get connected to that.
If the micro node is between your house and the node, there is a fair chance you'll be connected to it. 300m away, you "should" hit 100mbps. Mind you, the underground cables doesn't always follow the most logical path.
KNAPPO wrote:Ive gone with Aussie BB and have selected the 100/20 connection. Im pretty certain I wont be able to achieve those speeds and will need to move down but I wanted to see how close ill get before moving.
Based on the above, you should hit it no worries. Thanks to the choice in technology, you won't go faster until they upgrade to FTTP.
DarrenM

Post by DarrenM »

When the NBN tech came out to fix my connection he disabled the second extension in the house and let me choose which one to use. If you've got someone coming to the house to do the install, they might be able to sort it out for you. Depending on how it's wired I suppose.
KNAPPO
Master artist
Master artist

Post by KNAPPO »

r8response wrote:
KNAPPO wrote:I know my phone line is split so that will effect it a bit, will get that sorted out after hook up. Ill be on FTTN...
I'd advise getting this fixed up sooner, rather than later. A star wired or daisy chained set of sockets inside a house can cause drop outs and lower sync speeds. If you end up with multiple disconnects, the NBN will blame your internal cabling first.
KNAPPO wrote:Main node is 900m from the home but we have a mini node on our street thats 270-300m from our house so im hoping we get connected to that.
If the micro node is between your house and the node, there is a fair chance you'll be connected to it. 300m away, you "should" hit 100mbps. Mind you, the underground cables doesn't always follow the most logical path.
Monday they are scheduled to connect but I think that's at the node. I've been told that I'm not required to be home.

I was planning on getting someone in to either remove the 2nd line or re wire the phone line if it needs it from the entry point in the roof to the socket we want to use. I was planning on organising the phone line de split on Tuesday as I know it will need to be done.

That's good news about the micro node.
It's technically not between the house tho. Node is to the right 900m away and the micro node is 300m to the left. But I'm hoping we are simply connected to the closest point.
Life is hard...but, life is harder when you're dumb.