eBay advice needed (please!)

Buying or Selling stuff? Here's the place to do it.
Forum rules
The admins take no responsibility for goods sold, bought or swapped on the forums. This forum is purely for making others aware that you have stuff to buy, sell or swap. Please make all transactions of money and goods via PM or email.

Sellers must have a reasonable number of posts on this board to advertise. If you register and advertise straight away then your post will be viewed as spam and removed. Please contact one of the admins, however, if you think your ad warrants special consideration.

Thanks.
plastik8

Post by plastik8 »

Hey guys

I'm about to sell my iPhone 4 (32gb black for those interested!) on eBay. Just had a couple quick questions;

- Any advantage / disadvantage to having a shorter auction compared to 7 or 10 day?
- any advantage in timing the auction so that it finishes on a weekend? I.e. so it finishes around 8 or 9 on a Sunday evening when there's plenty of people online? Another time is better?
- 99 cent reserves are the way to go I guess? I have been looking at other similar sales and seems to be the way to do it.
- PayPal: seller expected to cover the credit card fees?

Cheers!!

Ps I'm moving to android for first time. I've had every iPhone since the 3G (including 4S - I'm giving that to my fiancé). Ordered a galaxy note from Kogan. Can't wait!
Image[url=steam://friends/add/76561197971333750]Image[/url]
Takumi

Re: eBay advice needed (please!)

Post by Takumi »

Hey mate,
Wouldn't call myself a pro but I have sold quite a lot of stuff on there. But I would suggest:
- 7 day auction is better in my opinion. Standard length and personally, if I see a 10 day listing it puts me off. It smacks of "I want to run this for a long time to try sell this for more".
- Timing is definitely important. I always aim for 7 or 8pm and usually during the week (I go for Thursday or Friday night so people can pick up on the weekend if necessary). Would you be on eBay on a Sunday night?
- I have never started at 99c but I guess there is no harm in it. Things usually end up selling for what they are currently worth (phones especially) you'd save on listing fees too.
- I am pretty sure you have to wear the PayPal fees, you can't charge extra for it. Could be wrong but that is how it was last time I listed.
It's been nice, chaps.
plastik8

Post by plastik8 »

Thanks Takumi. Looks like I'll post a 7 day listing on Friday night next week.

Cheers!
smithcorp
Occasional Visitor
Occasional Visitor

Post by smithcorp »

Hey plastic - my son-in-law is a marine biologist working on an oil rig. I want to buy it for him sight unseen and I'll give you 50% more than you asking for. I'll pay through Paypal and I'll send a courier agent to pick it up!
dvestate
Prize Winning ARSE

Post by dvestate »

I've sold heap of stuff on ebay :)

I always go the 7 day auction and have it end either between 12-2pm or 7-10pm during the week or Sunday arvo as generally those are the times most people would be able to schedule themselves to be on the net to bid at the end.

I always start my Auctions at 99 cents, the phone wont stay there long but you will get plenty of people watching try to get a bargain. That is the important part some people seem to tractor beam onto one item. When I sold my 3GS it went almost $100 over the price I thought it would hit based on other sales.

To get around the Paypal thing what I would do is put it up with Std postage, you can then put in the Auction description that is they pay via Bank Deposit you will send the phone via Registered Post (Person-Person) free. On the price that the phone goes for the Paypal fee you will get hit with will cover it.

The other thing to remember eBay are going to hit you with a 7.9% fee (capped at $49.95) so might be an idea to throw it on Gumtree for the week first with a price you want
Hazelb
Master artist
Master artist

Post by Hazelb »

smithcorp wrote:Hey plastic - my son-in-law is a marine biologist working on an oil rig. I want to buy it for him sight unseen and I'll give you 50% more than you asking for. I'll pay through Paypal and I'll send a courier agent to pick it up!
LOL

Re paypal and fees, yes they slug you, but you can list direct deposit as an option and note in your speil that you prefer direct deposit. That was you avoid the paypal fees. In the end, it wont be much. I just sold my battery grip - on a sale of $105 fees were $2...
plastik8

Post by plastik8 »

Cheers all.

I've posted it on Gumtree - seems like there's nothing to lose (except for maybe some spam emails). I'll give it a few days before putting it on Ebay.

And Smithcorp, sounds alright - get your Daughter to call me and we will sort something out. She must get quite lonely with her husband off-shore :yes:
plastik8

Post by plastik8 »

Sold it on gumtree. $430 cash, no fees, plenty of emails from people interested over the weekend.

Thanks for the advice!

Sent from my GT-N7000 using Tapatalk 2
dvestate
Prize Winning ARSE

Post by dvestate »

awesome news :)