This any good?

General game chat
Duke
Dukester Maldonado
Dukester Maldonado

This any good?

Post by Duke »

So I stumbled across this in ebay & thought it could be the thing I need to get back into some casual race simming. http://www.ebay.com/itm/320903692909" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Given I need something that can be quickly stowed & stored out of the way it could fit the bill nicely, you know the story once you have kids, blah, blah, blah.

Anyway I am wondering if anyone here has heard, seen or used one of them or could even take a look at one if close to the actual shop in Penshurst or Wollongong, NSW.
My main worry is how sturdy it is especially when all 90kg of me gets a hold of it in anger...

Any help or suggestions appreciated.
Dukester

norbs diplomacy lesson 101: "If I was putting words in your mouth, you'd know."
Quincy

Re: This any good?

Post by Quincy »

I'd be concerned about wobble. . .
balls & boobs. . .
matticooper

Post by matticooper »

just bolt yer wheel to your desk and get a good comfy chair like the rest of us...

or build your own... plenty of plans out there if you look.
ysu
Smooth Lubricator.

Post by ysu »

He might want to set it up occasionally, and casually, in front of the TV in the middle of the living room. In that case this thing might be the best option...
I've seen it, I've read about it elsewhere, but nfi how good it really is.

But I agree, it can be wobbly.
Surprise, no sig. Now there is. Or is there?
Duke
Dukester Maldonado
Dukester Maldonado

Post by Duke »

Cheers Gents,

Just to clarify yes it's purpose is for casual race-simming only, not sure if it will even involve online mutli-player sessions yet.
I don't have the luxury of bolting it anywhere & yes the idea is as ysu suspected to connect it to my supped-up HTPC & TV to sit in the middle of the lounge for some late night sessions.'
Agree its the potential flex / wobble that's concerning me but it does however look like a large'ish diameter main post so may not be that bad, hence why I'm asked here if anyone has experience with one.

I did also find this one which would be more sturdy by it's very design: http://www.ebay.com/itm/150816152552" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
But I can't seem to find it locally & with postage it's double the price and by the looks of it requires the wheel to be taken off prior to storing them, may as well bolt to a desk in that case.
Dukester

Duke
Dukester Maldonado
Dukester Maldonado

Post by Duke »

So it turns out a local supplier stocks this wheel stand, it's only $10 more than the one on ebay so I'm going to head down there to see if they have a floor demo (I doubt it though).
I must say it looks pretty solid when looking at the Fantec site: http://www.fanatec.de/html/index.php?id=220&lang=en" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
The other thing I've only just noticed is that for us Aussies the gearbox mount is on the wrong side, as yet I'm not able to confirm if it can be mounted on the left side.

I've also just discovered this one on ebay but not sure if it can be sourced locally. EARL RS2 Steering wheel stand (Polar White) PS3/Logitech G27/G25
Dukester

smithcorp
Occasional Visitor
Occasional Visitor

Post by smithcorp »

Flinty, I'm in Penshurst and can check one out for you - let me know.
Mr.Ferret

Post by Mr.Ferret »

Ive got a wheel stand pro which has been really really good, doesn't move around, got a cockpit setup now though
iRacing Name - Joshua Brown2
Duke
Dukester Maldonado
Dukester Maldonado

Post by Duke »

Mr.Ferret wrote:Ive got a wheel stand pro which has been really really good, doesn't move around, got a cockpit setup now though
What's this Wheel Stand "Pro" you speak of Mr Ferret, got a linky???
Dukester

Mr.Ferret

Post by Mr.Ferret »

http://www.wheelstandpro.com.au/G27_G25.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I grabbed mine before there was an Aussie distributor it's not bad, I'll sell ya mine cheaper than that if you like, no idea how much it would cost to ship though (tis rather heavy) but if you are ever in Ballarat... Folds up really well with the wheel attached too which was handy
iRacing Name - Joshua Brown2