A Dilemma

CyclARSEts talk in here.
smithcorp
Occasional Visitor
Occasional Visitor

A Dilemma

Post by smithcorp »

I took my Kerry Hopkins road bike (a bike I used lots for training when I raced, but I haven't ridden it for more than 5 years or so, due to my busted elbow) down to the local bike shop to get a service, new tires and tubes etc; as I have probably found someone who can make up a modified handlebar for me and I want to get back on the bike a bit.

The bike's about 15 years old I suppose - steel frame, 7-speed Shimano groupset and a very comfortable ride. I paid less than a grand for it, as it was just to be a workhorse. I was expecting to spend a bit over $100 for some new cables, tires etc.

The bike shop just told me the shifters are rooted and that I'd have to convert it to a 9-speed (which wheel suits), with a cost for a new groupset of $1,000. Alternatively, I can buy a whole new bike for $1,200.

So, what the hell do I do? I like my old bike but it's not worth me spending a grand on getting it back on the road. I also don't want to spend more than a grand on a new bike.

Is there much of a market for lower-priced superceded or second-hand groupsets these days that I could source a suitable set for a cheap price?

I'm a bit stumped...

smith
norbs
fucking right wing vegan lesbian

Re: A Dilemma

Post by norbs »

Tough one Smiss. You can get some bloody good bikes for the $1000-$1200 range these days. Then again, if you like the bike you own, keep an eye on eBay for a gruppo.
Sarc ; my second favourite type of gasm.
bengatta
Ladies Motorkhana Champion

Post by bengatta »

I vote new bike.... even though you like the old one, I am sure you will find one of the new ones that you will like just the same... :)
They say, any day you wake up not dead is the start of a better day than it could be...

You don't need a parachute to skydive, you only need a parachute to skydive twice...

You're never too old to learn something stupid....
Duke
Dukester Maldonado
Dukester Maldonado

A Dilemma

Post by Duke »

Leave the old bike for another day, turn into a full resto or turn it into a single speed if parts get to hard to find or expensive to buy.

That then means a new bike & that'll open up an even bigger can of worms.
Dukester

norbs diplomacy lesson 101: "If I was putting words in your mouth, you'd know."
DarrenM

Post by DarrenM »

You could buy a bike with 105 gear for $999, then if you don't like the frame move it over to your old one?
http://www.cellbikes.com.au/2012-CELL-T ... gory=12632" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
smithcorp
Occasional Visitor
Occasional Visitor

Post by smithcorp »

That's cheap for what looks like a good bike, but still leaves me in a $1,000 hole. There must be a cheaper way. I'm hoping to find some old groupset for a fraction of that that will get me back on my bike for a few hundred or less. Might call around some of the older bike shops like ABC and try Clarence Street.
DarrenM

Post by DarrenM »

Sure you can't just get replacement shifters?

What type are your current ones?
Hz-Lab
Magoo
Magoo

Post by Hz-Lab »

Look on gum tree or the likes, heaps of decent hardly ridden bikes in the $400 to $800 range. People are always looking for swaps on there too, so If you have something of value you no longer use, like a hair straightener or something, you may get a deal!
smithcorp
Occasional Visitor
Occasional Visitor

Post by smithcorp »

Darren - they are Shimano RSX 7-speed shifters which are apparently a bit notorious for being problematic. There's some suggestion that 8-speed shifters might work with a 7-speed cassette.
smithcorp
Occasional Visitor
Occasional Visitor

Post by smithcorp »

Further to this - a bit more research suggests that this problem of the shifters seeming to be rooted can in fact be caused by the grease gumming up/hardening, and that a good degreasing of the shifters, followed by a spray of lithium grease can fix them like magic. I will try this tomorrow and report back...
CLP
C grade super domestique

Post by CLP »

Not too long ago i grabbed a full 5600 series 105 groupset for about $400 from chainreaction so i could update my old (early 90's) steel roadie. looks like they don't have that offer any more though

Ribble have a 9 speed Sora groupset for about $300 (depending on the options you choose) or a 10 speed tiagra groupset for about $400. So if this bike means enough to you, i'm certain you can get it back on the road for reasonable money :)
smithcorp
Occasional Visitor
Occasional Visitor

Post by smithcorp »

Well, a quick dollar-saving update. I gave the shifters a good degreasing spray and after 5 minutes they shifted again like a beauty! Quick squirt of grease and back to the LBS for them to finish the job (new cables, ties, saddle). Very pleased with myself and the internets!