Alex Zanardi - Para-Olympian!

Chat about Formula 1, V8's, Indycar etc
Forum rules
Please be careful about posting results in threads discussing current sporting events.

Where possible can the first person to start a thread on an event add *spoilers included* (or similar) to the thread title so that all discussion on the event is kept in one place and readers are aware that the content may contain the results.

Gougoodthing
Call me Nancy

Post by Gougoodthing »

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/globe-dr ... le4460770/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
NeilPearson
Prize Winning ARSE

Re: Alex Zanardi - Para-Olympian!

Post by NeilPearson »

http://www.arseforums.com/phpBB/viewtop ... 75#p331465" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
bengatta
Ladies Motorkhana Champion

Post by bengatta »

Alex deserves his own thread of worship.... he is a superstar... :)
They say, any day you wake up not dead is the start of a better day than it could be...

You don't need a parachute to skydive, you only need a parachute to skydive twice...

You're never too old to learn something stupid....
dvestate
Prize Winning ARSE

Post by dvestate »

Nice to see him win

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/disability-sport/19493510" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Duke
Dukester Maldonado
Dukester Maldonado

Post by Duke »

That's Awesome!!!
Dukester

norbs diplomacy lesson 101: "If I was putting words in your mouth, you'd know."
DexterPunk
Busted ARSE

Post by DexterPunk »

What a champ!

Sent from Han Solo using TK-421's phone.
pogo

Post by pogo »

amazing guy! :yes:
Duke
Dukester Maldonado
Dukester Maldonado

Post by Duke »

Love the photo of Zanardi in this cycling blog post: http://italiancyclingjournal.blogspot.c ... mpics.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Dukester

w00dsy
The Senna of Hoppers Crossing

Post by w00dsy »

Duke
Dukester Maldonado
Dukester Maldonado

Post by Duke »

Thought this was the best place to put this... what an awe-inspiring human being.

[youtube] [/youtube]
Dukester

wobblysauce
Seen it, Done it, Invented it!

Post by wobblysauce »

Here and Cool Racing, work fine.

Nice video.
Some play it safe on the merry-go-round, others go for the thrills of the roller-coaster.

ᕙ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ᕗ vs ლ(ಠ益ಠ)ლ

I have a joke for you. I have a prediction that you are going to walk into a bar, my prediction was wrong and your wallet is gone.
J.D.
Rat

Post by J.D. »

Hope he's not into guns.
сначала мы убиваем американского лося и белку.

"Journalism is printing what someone else does not want printed. Everything else is public relations." - George Orwell.

Proudly never a mod or admin at RSC from 2001 - 2009.
Duke
Dukester Maldonado
Dukester Maldonado

Post by Duke »

[youtube] [/youtube]
Dukester

bengatta
Ladies Motorkhana Champion

Post by bengatta »

I always cheer up when I hear him speak.... He is an inspiration.

Thanks for posting them...
They say, any day you wake up not dead is the start of a better day than it could be...

You don't need a parachute to skydive, you only need a parachute to skydive twice...

You're never too old to learn something stupid....
DarrenM

Post by DarrenM »

Now it's Alex Zanardi - Iron Man. Amazing.

http://en.espnf1.com/f1/motorsport/story/179809.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
The Italian, attempting his first-ever triathalon event, completed the famous Kailua-Kona event in Hawaii on October 11, 272nd out of 2,187 finishers.

The Kona event consists of a 2.4-mile swim, a 112-mile bicycle ride and a 26.2-mile marathon run. Zanardi utilised a wet vest which kept his body floating for the swimming portion, before he took to a self-developed handcycle to finish the biking segment. The Ironman was completed on an Olympic wheelchair, crossing the line in nine hours, 47 minutes and 14 seconds.

"It is fantastic and I will treasure this day in my heart for the rest of my life," Zanardi said. "The last 300 meters were worth everything, they were worth being here for. I don't know if everybody got cheered the same way, but when I passed down that narrow lane, I have never experienced anything like that. It was amazing. I was always close to crying. I am not an emotional guy for these types of things, but this was very special."
Duke
Dukester Maldonado
Dukester Maldonado

Post by Duke »

What a friggin legend!!! How's the arms on the bloke. :eyepop:

Dukester

w00dsy

Post by w00dsy »

i was just showing my wife and she said 'i'd fall in a heap if i lost my legs'. Yes, yes you would.
Duke
Dukester Maldonado
Dukester Maldonado

Post by Duke »

Worthy of a necro-thread revival...
Double amputee and Former CART, F1 and WTCC driver Alex Zanardi will make a much anticipated DTM debut for BMW at his home Misano round later this year.

Having lost both legs in a violent CART accident at the Lausitzring in 2001, Italian racing legend Alex Zanardi lost none of his competitive spirit, returning to the German venue just 12 months after his accident to lap the European oval at high speed in front of an adoring crowd of race fans.

With his speed and determination unquenched, Zanardi would embark on a second career following his accident in the super competitive World Touring Car Championship, driving a specially adapted BMW 320si to several race victories during his five year stay in the WTCC.

With age catching up with the Italian, Zanardi would step away from full time touring car racing at the end of 2009, turning his attention to the Paralympic world where the double Champ Car title winner would design his own hand bike, successfully racing his way to an incredible 12 gold medals between 2012 and 2016.

Having recently returned to the Blancpain GT Series and national Italian GT series, again behind the wheel of a BMW, the German marque have now confirmed a one off special appearance at the Misano round of the DTM this August, a fine follow up to the specially organised test in 2012 to celebrate the driver winning gold at the London Paralympic games.

“I feel like a kid in a candy store and massively look forward to racing the BMW M4 DTM at Misano,” says Zanardi. As motor-racing enthusiast I had planned to definitely make the trip to Misano and attend the first DTM night races in the history of the sport. But to now be in the cockpit and contest the races myself is just fantastic.”​

At 51 years of age, and without the benefit of a recent full programme of driving behind him, a DTM debut will be a major challenge for Zanardi, however with an iron determination and more talent than many current drivers will ever wish to enjoy, don't bet against Zanardi bagging a surprise result this August...
Dukester

Duke
Dukester Maldonado
Dukester Maldonado

Post by Duke »

Far out what is it with Alex, he can't take a trick!!! My thoughts go out to him again.

Zanardi seriously injured in hand cycling accident
IndyCar legend Alex Zanardi has suffered a severe head injury in a collision with a larger vehicle during a handbike race in his native Italy.
Dukester

w00dsy

Post by w00dsy »

“Twenty minutes passed from the time of the accident to when the medical personnel arrived. It took some time to load him (into the ambulance). His wife helped. After the accident he was talking,” the AP quotes Valentini as adding in a separate interview with local media.
That's encouraging.
Duke
Dukester Maldonado
Dukester Maldonado

Post by Duke »

UPDATE: June 20, 8:30am ET:
The Santa Maria alle Scotte hospital in Siena issued a new update Saturday morning on the condition of racing legend Alex Zanardi, who suffered serious head injuries in a road accident during a handbike race on Friday. While stating that his condition is stable, the hospital noted that his condition remains “very serious.”

The full statement, translated from the original Italian, is as follows:

“Regarding the clinical condition of the athlete Alex Zanardi, hospitalized from 1800 (hours) on June 19 in very serious condition at the Santa Maria alle Scotte hospital following a road accident that occurred in the province of Siena… the patient, subjected to a delicate neurosurgical intervention on the evening of June 19, and subsequently transferred to intensive care, has stable hemodynamic and metabolic parameters.

“He is intubated and supported by artificial ventilation while the neurological picture remains serious.”

Giuseppe Oliveri, director of neurosurgery at the hospital, offered additional on Zanardi’s condition in a press briefing on Saturday.

“He arrived with facial fracture and a sunken fracture of the frontal bones,” Oliveri told Corriere della Sera. “He will have to remain sedated and ventilated, allowing the secondary damage as a result of the trauma to stabilize over time.

“The improvement, if any, will be very slow over time. Assessments of the neurological situation will be made when he wakes up, if he wakes up. It is useless to speculate today how it will go – I just know that I am absolutely convinced that it is worth treating him.”
Dukester

norbs
fucking right wing vegan lesbian

Post by norbs »

If he wakes up.

:(
Sarc ; my second favourite type of gasm.
Duke
Dukester Maldonado
Dukester Maldonado

Post by Duke »

UPDATE: June 21, 7:30am ET:
Alex Zanardi remains in stable but serious condition at the Santa Maria alle Scotte hospital in Siena, Italy, following his accident during a handbike race on Friday which left the racing legend with major head injuries. Zanardi remains in a medically induced coma following his surgery on Friday night, and doctors are unable yet to make predictions about how fully or quickly the 53-year-old Italian may recover from his injuries.

“The patient spent the night in conditions of cardio-respiratory and metabolic stability. Organ functions are adequate,” the hospital announced in a statement Sunday morning, adding that Zanardi continues to be “sedated, intubated and mechanically ventilated.

“The ongoing neuromonitoring has shown some stability but this data must be taken with caution because the neurological picture remains serious,” the hospital statement concluded. “The current conditions of general stability still do not allow to exclude the possibility of adverse events and, therefore, the patient remains in a reserved prognosis.”
Dukester

w00dsy

Post by w00dsy »

Imagine the emergency workers seeing a dude come in with smashed face and no legs.
Duke
Dukester Maldonado
Dukester Maldonado

Post by Duke »

Alex Zanardi will remain in an induced coma until at least next week while he continues to receive treatment for severe head injuries sustained in a hand cycling accident in Pienza, Italy on Friday.

The 53-year-old lost control on a descent during a road race and collided with a truck traveling on the opposite direction. He was airlifted to the Santa Maria alle Scotte hospital, where he underwent three hours of neurosurgery and maxillofacial surgery.

“The neurological picture remains unchanged in its severity,” the update said. “The patient remains sedated, intubated and mechanically ventilated. Any reductions in sedoanalgesia, for the assessment of neurological status, will be considered starting next week.” According to the hospital, Zanardi’s prognosis remains “confidential”.
Dukester