Giving away an invites to TorrentDay

all the ARSE dribble
wabbit

Re: Giving away an invites to TorrentDay

Post by wabbit »

Oh wow Norbs thanks for the suggestion. Really good speeds too.

What's a seedbox? They're fucking all types of awesome haha.
Hazelb
Master artist
Master artist

Post by Hazelb »

Wabbit..that doesnt help :)
wabbit

Post by wabbit »

A seedbox is a private server used for the uploading and downloading of digital files -- Wikipedia.

They normally have stupidly quick connections and are great for people that need to seed torrents and/or their ISP throttles BitTorrent traffic.

I'm testing it to see if Optus cable trottles torrent taffic or it's just congestion during "peak times". *update*, it looks like congestion, as a simple 4GB file using Filezilla downloading to a WiFi connected laptop ranges from 800KB/s to 3MB/s.
Hazelb
Master artist
Master artist

Post by Hazelb »

Thx Wabbit
wabbit

Post by wabbit »

I'm quite impressed actually, for reference the building I work in has ~760 employees and has a 10Gbps connection to the internet. This seedbox has a 10Gbps connection and downloading a 700MB file took less than 10 seconds to complete.
norbs
fucking right wing vegan lesbian

Post by norbs »

Who did you go with?

Sent from my D5833 using Tapatalk
Shonky

Post by Shonky »

I'm keen to know too wabbit, I've been playing with the idea of moving away from seedbox.st just to see if there are better download speeds to be had, even though I suspect it's TPG being the limiting factor.
wabbit

Post by wabbit »

I went with Feralhosting :) I was showing Amanda how quick these things are and I said "now this episode will only take a minute or two". Pfftt by the time I added the file and it refreshed the page it had already done 30% then the next refresh it was done. Then I realised its the same bloody connection I have at work.

From the testing last night there's congestion on Optus Cable and around 9:30pm I was getting really good speeds mostly maxing out my connection by FTP, pulled down 30GB. So today I'll see how 156GB goes, hopefully all done before I get home.
norbs

Post by norbs »

I managed 132G in a day on Sunday on my shitty ADSL connection.

I still have a secure connection to a test box in a big Telco. Tested that last night to Feral and was downloading at 90meg a second. Well there abouts. A 700meg file took under 8 seconds.
Sarc ; my second favourite type of gasm.
wabbit

Post by wabbit »

Good info Norbs. I'm not sure at this point which way I wanna go. I've used seedboxes before and Feral is great, I do wonder how secure SFTP really is and maybe a better idea would be using a VPN configured on my router to let the NAS go through that connection.

I wonder if we have a VPN guru around here?
norbs

Post by norbs »

As far as VPN goes, I am very happy with Witopia. https://my.witopia.net/ref/FL0Etl90

Use that link for a 15% discount. :)

I have been with them for 2 years.

There is an article on Torrent Freak about VPNs and who and what is good. http://torrentfreak.com/which-vpn-servi ... on-140315/
smithcorp
Occasional Visitor
Occasional Visitor

Post by smithcorp »

So norbs, I saw that referral on twitter - how do VPNs work with private trackers? First time I tested one, i couldn't connect to fat one and the other private place i use.
wabbit

Post by wabbit »

Norbs, did you consider Private Internet Access? If so, was there a reason you went with Witopia instead?
SE1Z

Post by SE1Z »

I'm with PIA.
Cant comment on their speed as my adsl sync is too low, but I've never noticed them down. They have an Aussie server too.
norbs

Post by norbs »

wabbit wrote:Norbs, did you consider Private Internet Access? If so, was there a reason you went with Witopia instead?
2 reasons, I got a referral, so it was cheap. And it was highly recommended by a network guy I used to work with.

I have been with them and been happy for so long I havent looked elsewhere.

What can you tell me Wabbit?
wabbit

Post by wabbit »

Oh nothing haha. I was just looking at two options and had read that TorrentFreak article but forgotten the other better options bar PIA.

Edit: Norbs just wondering how you get around Witopia's "do not use our service for torrenting", I'm guessing you might use your seedbox then FTP down to your local storage. Or maybe you do it a completely different way :D
norbs

Post by norbs »

wabbit wrote:Oh nothing haha. I was just looking at two options and had read that TorrentFreak article but forgotten the other better options bar PIA.

Edit: Norbs just wondering how you get around Witopia's "do not use our service for torrenting", I'm guessing you might use your seedbox then FTP down to your local storage. Or maybe you do it a completely different way :D
SFTP for now. I dont use VPN to download until I find out that SFTP is not secure, which Montey or Markus are about to tell me. :)
smithcorp
Occasional Visitor
Occasional Visitor

Post by smithcorp »

I'm looking at ExpressVPN.
wabbit

Post by wabbit »

norbs wrote:SFTP for now. I dont use VPN to download until I find out that SFTP is not secure, which Montey or Markus are about to tell me. :)
Just wondering, did Montey or Markus give you a better suggestion?

On another topic, I've been using a Download Manager to get far better download speeds over SFTP. For anyone using a Seedbox that pulls their files down by HTTP/HTTPS/FTP/SFTP, use a program that does multi-thread file downloading (not to be confused with multi-file downloading).

And yes I thought so too that Download Managers went out with Dial-up connections, it's quite useful for certain ISPs that would "never" limit certain types of traffic or sometimes might have "congestion" issues. To compare (same day and time) 1 file would get 100-150KB/s, now gets 900-2100KB/s :D
Shonky

Post by Shonky »

Do you recommend a download manager in particular wabbit? I've been using Bitkinex for a while now and while it works, it's pretty buggy and the developer hasn't done an update for it in 4+ years.
wabbit

Post by wabbit »

Shonky wrote:Do you recommend a download manager in particular wabbit?
I'm using OS X and I'm over the moon with Progressive Downloader (link). However if you've using Windows, I haven't tested any of these but I've noticed CuteFTP Pro and LFTP.
SE1Z

Post by SE1Z »

Wow... CuteFTP. That name brings back memories!
norbs

Post by norbs »

Filezilla tops out my connection all the time.
Shonky

Post by Shonky »

Figured this should go in here, is is time to VPN yet? Certainly sounds like seedbox is a must these days.

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/busines ... 7294508657
Duke
Dukester Maldonado
Dukester Maldonado

Post by Duke »

yep, seedbox & run it 24/7 with as many versions of DBC as you can seed... farkem I say!!!
Dukester

norbs diplomacy lesson 101: "If I was putting words in your mouth, you'd know."