R.I.P. Foo Fighters??

Chat about stuff you listen to or play
DexterPunk
Busted ARSE

R.I.P. Foo Fighters??

Post by DexterPunk »

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/dave-g ... 6487221527" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Grohl sent an open letter on Tuesday, calling the band "my life," but noting "it's a good thing for all of us to go away for a while."

Foo Fighters
Hey everyone...

Dave here. Just wanted to write and thank you all again from the bottom of my heart for another incredible year. (Our 18th, to be exact!) We truly never could have done any of this without you...

Never in my wildest dreams did I think Foo Fighters would make it this far. I never thought we COULD make it this far, to be honest. There were times when I didn't think the band would survive. There were times when I wanted to give up. But... I can't give up this band. And I never will. Because it's not just a band to me. It's my life. It's my family. It's my world.

Yes... I was serious. I'm not sure when the Foo Fighters are going to play again. It feels strange to say that, but it's a good thing for all of us to go away for a while. It's one of the reasons we're still here. Make sense? I never want to NOT be in this band. So, sometimes it's good to just... put it back in the garage for a while...

But, no gold watches or vacations just yet... I'll be focusing all of my energy on finishing up my Sound City documentary film and album for worldwide release in the very near future. A year in the making, it could be the biggest, most important project I've ever worked on. Get ready... it's coming.

Me, Taylor, Nate, Pat, Chris, and Rami... I'm sure we'll all see you out there... somewhere...

Thank you, thank you, thank you...

Dave
Vilante
Master artist
Master artist

Re: R.I.P. Foo Fighters??

Post by Vilante »

Hopefully they come back at some stage. Not a bad time to do it having just done a successful album and massive tour's.
DexterPunk
Busted ARSE

Post by DexterPunk »

I really hope we hear more from them. There's not as many great bands to choose from anymore.
Vilante
Master artist
Master artist

Post by Vilante »

Agreed. I'm sure he'll keep doing stuff so we'll have to see what happens.
Exar Kun
Sensible Mick

Post by Exar Kun »

I think he needed a break. I'll throw in one of the cliches here but they're not as good as they were in my opinion. I was lucky enough to see them 5 times between '98 and '03 and already they were getting past it in terms of churning out original music each release. The Colour and the Shape was the high water mark for me and I caught them on that tour at a small gig at the UNSW Roundhouse which just blew my mind. Two identical drumkits on stage and a duel between Taylor and Dave which ended up with them playing the start of My Hero perfectly in sync. The last time I saw them was at the Hordern Pavilion which was, I think, the last time they did a tour here that wasn't all stadium rock shows. All their live shows now are just a collection of greatest hits without much other stuff. They could do really well by doing what a few other bands are doing now and touring entire old albums from start to finish which is just awesome for the fans. Most of their music these days just seems to be filler with one or two good songs on each album. Enjoyable but nothing that really sticks with you.

So, Dave and the band are awesome but glad to see them take some time off.
"If we can hit that bull's-eye, the rest of the dominoes will fall like a house of cards. Checkmate!"
DexterPunk
Busted ARSE

Post by DexterPunk »

I agree regarding color and the shape. It's definitely still my fave. But I really liked their latest album too. I thought it was really well done.
richo

Post by richo »

The masters of quiet loud quiet loud music . I find their music very samey which is a criticism all bands get from time to time i guess.
[]D [] []v[] []D
DexterPunk
Busted ARSE

Post by DexterPunk »

It's a fine line, if they changed too much the fans would be pissed.

Sent from Han Solo using TK-421's phone.
richo

Post by richo »

Spot on Dex , must suck trying to get a new sound that sounds like the old one.
[]D [] []v[] []D
Enforcer-J

Post by Enforcer-J »

Perhaps they could take a leaf out of Spider and Rudy's book and go on a mystical quest whilst wearing sacred robes of the psycadellic monks?

[youtube] [/youtube]