Gravity Enduro South Australia - MTB series

CyclARSEts talk in here.
Hz-Lab
Magoo
Magoo

Gravity Enduro South Australia - MTB series

Post by Hz-Lab »

Well, for the last 2 months or So myself and a fellow rider have been busting our arses trying to get a new club up and running in South Australia. We saw a massive hole in the Adelaide MTB scene and have gone about forming a club known as Gravity Enduro South Australia, or GESA for short.

The Format of riding is similar to that of a Car Rally, where riders will ride a set course that may vary between 10km to 25km of single track, with 3 to 5 timed Stages within that loop. The lowest combined time wins. The timed stages are primarily downhill but can be ridden on any kind of Mountain bike. This Gravity Enduro format is taking off world wide and really highlights the social aspect of Mountain biking, as you can ride all the uphills with your mates, or chat to others on the trail, as the climbs are not timed, the pressure is off.

Setting up a club is a lot of fun though, and by fun I mean a fucking pain in the uterus. We are just about to go incorporated, But coming from nowhere and attempting to Run a Statewide 4 race series next year is proving to be quite the challenge. The upside is, the other 2 main clubs (a Downhill club and a XC Club, which we fit firmly in between) have been very helpful, if not a little cautious, with getting this going. We have also had quite a bit of interest from Sponsors also and everything looks as though its going to actually happen.

I launched our Facebook page this week and we have had a lot of hits already, so we're excited. If anyone is interested feel free to search facebook for "Gravity Enduro South Australia" and have a squiz. Whilst it's an SA club, interstate competitors will be welcomed. There is rumours of this discipline becoming UCI Sanctioned in either 2013 or 2014 so after getting affiliation with MTBA we will be able to run a UCI event. Which will be our goal.

Just thought I'd put it up in here if anyone was interested in the process. I'll keep this thread up to date with the trials and tribulations. However, I'm off OS for 2 weeks, so I am going to have an anxious few weeks over there not really knowing what progress has been made..lol
Last edited by Hz-Lab on Mon Apr 08, 2013 9:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
norbs
fucking right wing vegan lesbian

Re: Starting a Club.. fun fun fun.

Post by norbs »

Enter CLP. :)
Sarc ; my second favourite type of gasm.
wobblysauce
Seen it, Done it, Invented it!

Post by wobblysauce »

Insurance is normally the hardest point to settle when starting something new like this.
Some play it safe on the merry-go-round, others go for the thrills of the roller-coaster.

ᕙ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ᕗ vs ლ(ಠ益ಠ)ლ

I have a joke for you. I have a prediction that you are going to walk into a bar, my prediction was wrong and your wallet is gone.
Hz-Lab
Magoo
Magoo

Post by Hz-Lab »

Insurance was one if the easiest things we had to deal with. Through being affiliated through Mtba we'll be under their insurance.
CLP
C grade super domestique

Post by CLP »

norbs wrote:Enter CLP. :)
Hi Everybody! ;)

sounds like an interesting idea/series :) not sure my MTB skills are up to it, but i'd possibly give it a crack assuming it doesn't clash with already planned events/series :)
Enforcer-J

Post by Enforcer-J »

I started training on the weekend, which is no different to my normal rides :)
Hz-Lab
Magoo
Magoo

Post by Hz-Lab »

We've had a shitload of sponsor interest since launching the Facebook page
Hz-Lab
Magoo
Magoo

Post by Hz-Lab »

Well we now have a committee of about 8 people, we have keen interest within the industry with big name sponsors showing real interest. Looks like we'll have a 4 race series next year at this stage. Can't wait.

Been lots if hard work so far with plenty to come.
Vilante
Master artist
Master artist

Post by Vilante »

Wicked!!
Enforcer-J

Post by Enforcer-J »

Yah yeaha!

My proposed weapon of choice....
Hz-Lab
Magoo
Magoo

Post by Hz-Lab »

I thought it was the 214 you were looking at?
Enforcer-J

Post by Enforcer-J »

Depends what i can get the 314 for...
Hz-Lab
Magoo
Magoo

Post by Hz-Lab »

Meanwhile, clp's entry is locked in for round 1.
Hz-Lab
Magoo
Magoo

Post by Hz-Lab »

Well, another meeting tonight, Locked in for 4 dates in 2013, 1st one being on the 14th April. Looking forward to it, hard to believe it's actually happening. We have funding for the entire series and it's gonna be awesome. Yeewww, it's been hard going but looks like it's going to pay off. We'll be having a 3 round series spread over the year with a Stand Alone 2 day "away" event up in the Flinders Ranges including Night Stages and a Super D, and some serious partying at the pub!

CLP's entry to 1st event is still locked in.
CLP
C grade super domestique

Post by CLP »

Hz-Lab wrote:Meanwhile, clp's entry is locked in for round 1.
lol.. i must have missed this message! :tilt:
Hz-Lab wrote:Well, another meeting tonight, Locked in for 4 dates in 2013, 1st one being on the 14th April. Looking forward to it, hard to believe it's actually happening. We have funding for the entire series and it's gonna be awesome. Yeewww, it's been hard going but looks like it's going to pay off. We'll be having a 3 round series spread over the year with a Stand Alone 2 day "away" event up in the Flinders Ranges including Night Stages and a Super D, and some serious partying at the pub!
Argh! already have a race on the 14th of April! what are the dates for the other events??
I assume you know i really really really suck on a MTB? :faint:
Hz-Lab
Magoo
Magoo

Post by Hz-Lab »

Don't worry about what level you are at, it's a very social format. You'll end up doing about 1.5 hours of riding of which only about 20 minutes will be timed. There will be a lot of beginners and weekend warriors so don't stress about that. I'll post other dates up at the end of the week when we officially announce then. But you should definitely drop that other race lol. This'll be the biggest thing in mountain biking in sa for a long time. And our 1st event will be a pretty tame one in regards to trails, be a good starter point.
Hz-Lab
Magoo
Magoo

Post by Hz-Lab »

Well, our website went live today

http://www.gravityendurosa.com.au" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Not much on there yet, but it'll get there.

1st ever website I've built complete too..
Vilante
Master artist
Master artist

Post by Vilante »

Looks great Hz, nice and clean.
CLP
C grade super domestique

Post by CLP »

Looks good.. at this stage, looks like i might be able to make the second round :)

Any info on licensing requirements and entry fees?
Hz-Lab
Magoo
Magoo

Post by Hz-Lab »

you'll be able to get a day license, unless you already have a MTBA affiliated license i.e. Adelaide Mountain Bike Club. Entry will be probably around the $30 to $40 mark and that will include the timing equipment required and plates and the day license will be about $20.

We'll have a lot more info up in the coming months.
norbs
fucking right wing vegan lesbian

Post by norbs »

Hz-Lab wrote:Well, our website went live today

http://www.gravityendurosa.com.au" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Not much on there yet, but it'll get there.

1st ever website I've built complete too..

Lime fucking green!!!! :melt: :p
Sarc ; my second favourite type of gasm.
Hz-Lab
Magoo
Magoo

Post by Hz-Lab »

I like green lol

We had the page and video features on http://www.theroostmag.com.au" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; which is one of the biggest MTB pages in aus. Gettin entry of attention
wobblysauce
Seen it, Done it, Invented it!

Post by wobblysauce »

HZ, Slick looking site, but with your site, are you happy with the title bar being so transparent- so when you scroll down it can make the site links invisible depending on what you scroll over.
Some play it safe on the merry-go-round, others go for the thrills of the roller-coaster.

ᕙ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ᕗ vs ლ(ಠ益ಠ)ლ

I have a joke for you. I have a prediction that you are going to walk into a bar, my prediction was wrong and your wallet is gone.
Hz-Lab
Magoo
Magoo

Post by Hz-Lab »

Well, 1 month to the day until our 1st event. In case anyone in the SA region is interested, or even if anyone feels like travelling. Head on over to here http://gravityendurosa.com.au/events/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; and sign up!. Capped at 150 entrants. It's gonna be mad rad!
CLP
C grade super domestique

Post by CLP »

signed up.. :yikes: