Planetside 2

General game chat
Righteous
Master artist
Master artist

Re: Planetside 2

Post by Righteous »

Ouch, expensive mistake. That's a long time to save 150.
Leweegibo

Post by Leweegibo »

Well the 4x isnt too bad, but it seems a bit stupid to have a "sniper rifle" that can't equip sniper scopes, let alone come with a scope at all.
In the end my bad for not checking, pity u cant sell items back at maybe half cert's or something...but i can see myself playing this for quite a while so not toooo much of a biggie.
ysu
Smooth Lubricator.

Post by ysu »

I think you can test-drive any weapon before purchasing it...
Surprise, no sig. Now there is. Or is there?
Righteous
Master artist
Master artist

Post by Righteous »

You can. You can do a 30minute trial with them.
ysu
Smooth Lubricator.

Post by ysu »

I've now realised, though, that I'll never be able to unlock decent weapons. There's no way to gather 1000's of points for it.
Even just the next level rocket launcher seems to be way out of reach.

And once you start buying, it'll be as expensive as iRacing is. So maybe it's time to quit, before it becomes addictive. :/
Leweegibo

Post by Leweegibo »

yeha i looked right at the trial but but thought "nope, i checked the stats, this is what i want" haha ah well.

Yeah stuff is crazy expensive, but i suppose in say BF3 if your aim was one of the later weapons it takes a fair while to get to them. There are a few "farming techniques" i have been using when i am bored...

1. get a Scythe and flying deep into enemy lines and look for big stations that are unattended, then blow up all the turrets, takes a few trips to go back for ammo but u get 100xp per turret.
2. at these stations, if still unattended, go in and take out all the generators. 100 for overriding and 100 if they blow, some of the big ones have 6 generators/SCU, so yeah.
3. make sure if you get the chance, go engineer and repair turrets, pretty much get a cert for every 3 turrets, on a big station thats been wiped out can really clean up, its bloody slow going tho
4. just go medic or engi in big battles, speaks for itself!

Guess this works well for you guys on TR and NC too, giving you lot a bunch of turrets to repair. I know the biggest station in the north-western corner of Indar has been wiped out by me MANY times!
haha and if you do it back to us we'll all be laughing :p

I prob just have too much time on my hands :( but yeah, can also be a nice break from the madness to just go for a cruise and smash stuff up!
ysu
Smooth Lubricator.

Post by ysu »

Thanks for the tips - I'll certainly see what's what - I've done my repair rounds yesterday, when we took one of the big stations, fixed up 2 generators and at least 6-8 turrets.
But I found it mildly boring. I'm playing for fun, not for friggen points, normally :) I used to go heavy, love to blow things up with the rocket. But a lock-on would be really handy. I've tried medic, but got bored (and killed) too quickly. I just can't keep my sorry ass hidden behind, LOL.

by the way Firefall is going to be in open beta this weekend, I'll see how it compares. (it's another mmo-fps coming up from red5 studios)
petey

Post by petey »

I enjoy this, 80% for the air side though.

Any time I spend on the ground is waiting either for a cooldown or to get points so I can get back in the air.

Tell you what though, there needs to be some sort of flare system to counter-act those tomcat rocket launchers. They get lock within a second and if you can't get out of their line of sight within 5 then it's all over red rover.

Except for cert upgrades to make lock on harder there is nothing you can do against it at the moment. Bit rough.
If you can leave two black stripes from the exit of one corner to the braking zone of the next, you finally have enough horsepower.
ysu
Smooth Lubricator.

Post by ysu »

yeah, but getting one of those rockets cost a lot, so there aren't many around.
r8response
Cry baby
Cry baby

Post by r8response »

petey wrote:Tell you what though, there needs to be some sort of flare system to counter-act those tomcat rocket launchers. They get lock within a second and if you can't get out of their line of sight within 5 then it's all over red rover.

:nod:
Leweegibo

Post by Leweegibo »

Yeah they are a bit rude, cant help but think most my cert's are gonna go towards my Scythe, really enjoy flying that around. And with the primary cannon upgrade its great blowing up little soldier men on the ground :D 1000 certs for the rocket pods tho...shoisus!
ysu
Smooth Lubricator.

Post by ysu »

I admire you, I can't fly these things for the life of me :)
r8response
Cry baby
Cry baby

Post by r8response »

Just a small tip for the pilots among us. When flying along, tip the nose down and use the vertical jets for a small speed increase (8-10kph). It's helped me get away from a firefight or two.

Something in the pipeline. Supposedly for mass tank transport.
Leweegibo

Post by Leweegibo »

ysu wrote:I admire you, I can't fly these things for the life of me :)
haha its strange but treat them more like choppers than planes, just with forward thrust!!

Where u get info like that r8? i cant find crap on the site, that thing looks immense, cant wait to see it in the air!!!!
petey

Post by petey »

That does look insane.

As for the decoy flares are they available for the scythe too ? I would assume so but I didn't really look... I was sort of suggesting that you shouldn't have to buy them, but I suppose I will just have to wait and do so.

I had to switch characters, I had signed up with my usual account for the beta thing, then when I got it on steam the otherday I made a second one, without realising I purchased the membership for the first one - which hadn't been played.

So I had to go back to square one today, fairly annoying.
If you can leave two black stripes from the exit of one corner to the braking zone of the next, you finally have enough horsepower.
Shaun

Post by Shaun »

i am getting this through steam, look forward to having a crack at it soon. I keep checking this thread out and decided to finally get it.
Hello :aussie:
r8response
Cry baby
Cry baby

Post by r8response »

Leweegibo wrote:Where u get info like that r8? i cant find crap on the site, that thing looks immense, cant wait to see it in the air!!!!

President for Sony Online Entertainments Twitter account.

https://twitter.com/j_smedley/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Santaria

Post by Santaria »

I deleted and rolled Vanu today. It's so much better (for me). Still can't get the hang of flying, or the objectives of each air unit, but I'm happy running around as Combat Medic. Once you get a few upgrades for the armor and healing speed, it's pretty hard to die.
Image[url=steam://friends/add/76561197999720352]Image[/url]
ysu
Smooth Lubricator.

Post by ysu »

So how many points you guys can get in one session? I've spent around 2hrs as an engi yesternight, fixing every max around and resupplying people, and it was going ok, I was raking in the xp, but at the end I've got about 10 points only (the ones you need 1000 of to buy a friggen new weapon). So in other words, it'd take me 100 hours to get a bare weapon. To equip it...sheesh.
petey

Post by petey »

I got the premium membership, and earned 20certs in ~1-2hrs and I was mostly stuffing around.

I would pay dollars for those decoy flares but at this rate it will be a while before I can have them. In a 3 on 1 yesterday I ended up as the only scythe left as we tried to take down a reaver which had the rockets, he took out one straight up, then it was a dogfight for about 10mins. It seems without flares, those rockets are a guaranteed kill. Trying to break lock is damn near impossible because of the range.
Leweegibo

Post by Leweegibo »

Pretty sure it is 1 cert per 250 xp, then you get bonuses for achieving medals with weapons, its 5 for bronze at 10 kills, 10 for silver at 30 ...or something... best bonuses are for helping in capture of big bases, like biolabs are 1000 xp. I've found the best xp as an engi is repairing destroyed turrets

Just bought the HS/NV scope for the heavy, which i barely used to use and am now loving, the scope is just nuts in close quarters and makes it so easy to spot guys! Looks like this:

With that at a biolab today i really cleaned up, it helped i had a good view down a corridor but i reckon i owe most the kills to that kick-arse scope!
ysu
Smooth Lubricator.

Post by ysu »

xp != points to spend on equipment. I got heaps of xp, but what can I do with it?

I've thought about the premium, but it's $10/mo ... yet again, you play for say half a year and you've paid the price of a full new-release game and haven't gotten anywhere, only a few extra points to spend (it doubles the intake I think).
On top of it, if you don't keep paying you'll even lose what you had. Well, fuck that. I'm not going to get into that endless syphoning of money again, iRacing was quite enough for a learning exercise.
petey

Post by petey »

Meh I bought 3 months I think, I will probably be over it by then, and in my opinion it is a fair price for the fun I am having.
Leweegibo

Post by Leweegibo »

Free 170 station cash, just have to log into these 2 SOE game sites with your planetside account, just tried and works :nod:

http://www.freerealms.com/

https://www.clonewarsadventures.com/index.action

...not that there is much you can buy with that amount haha
ysu
Smooth Lubricator.

Post by ysu »

hehe, it did work :) not much but it's certainly free!