Lens for photographing equipment

ARSE's photographers and arts forum
Big Kev
Clean as a Whistle
Clean as a Whistle

Lens for photographing equipment

Post by Big Kev »

My other reason for considering an update to my camera gear is that I've just been put in charge of creating our brand new Institute web site :fall:

Our current one is old, out of date and shockingly awful and no one else wanted anything to do with it so I said I'd have a crack :)

Although I have to work within the constraints of a new backend CMS system developed by the main hospital, I'll have some room to add in new pages and some photos! So my idea is that any core facilities will need photos of all the bits of equipment to showcase what we have (microscopes, cell sorters, DNA sequencers) and some rooms will lend themselves well to a panorama type photo (I'll use my phone for that though). I might also need to take mugshots of the team leaders and some general scientificy looking shots of bottles, centrifuges spinning, people pipetting colourful liquids, stuff like that. My macro will be able to handle some of it and whatever kit lens I get with my new camera will probably suffice for a reasonable amount as well.

I'll probably invest in a tripod and a speedlight flash because they'll be handy anyway.
Is there anything else I need to consider? 50mm prime maybe? I'm planning massively in advance cos it's going to take me 6 months to write all the pages though.
ARSE Biscuits! Driftu Kingu!
My Flickr Stream
J.D.
Rat

Re: Lens for photographing equipment

Post by J.D. »

Not an easy question to answer Kev.

I think the majority of your work would be better done on your 100mm macro. A 50mm prime is okay if you're shooting in low light but you probably need to specify your working distance and angle of view.

Personally, I'm not sure it's an equipment issue.

For a lot of this, the biggest consideration is your lighting. Having a flash is okay but you need to know how to get the best out of it. Direct flash is a no-no.

I would recommend Chuck Gardner's flash tutorials but his site seems to be down at the moment.
сначала мы убиваем американского лося и белку.

"Journalism is printing what someone else does not want printed. Everything else is public relations." - George Orwell.

Proudly never a mod or admin at RSC from 2001 - 2009.
Swain OHaw

Post by Swain OHaw »

I would think that between whatever kit lens you have (24-104 or 24-70) by then, plus the Macro, a tripod and a bit of practice lighting spaces using a flash then you'd probably be pretty sorted ... depends on the facilities but an Ultra-wide could be useful, although maybe covered by the panoramic from your phone, but generally the confined nature of interior spaces call for a wider lens that you'd expected/hoped you could get away with ... Dex has done a bit of interior work, he's also a lighting wizard.
DexterPunk
Busted ARSE

Post by DexterPunk »

Yeah most of what's already been said. Lighting, field of view, and working distance will all contribute to what gear you may wanna use. If you're going to start working with flash I would recommend getting your hands on a book called 'light, science, and magic'. Excellent book. Easy to read, and although studio based, it will give you the knowledge to light things properly.

Sent from Han Solo using TK-421's phone.
J.D.
Rat

Post by J.D. »

Tempted to get a copy of that myself. Thanks Dex.
сначала мы убиваем американского лося и белку.

"Journalism is printing what someone else does not want printed. Everything else is public relations." - George Orwell.

Proudly never a mod or admin at RSC from 2001 - 2009.