Ford Wagon - My Next Car?

Chat about cars, motorbikes and all other transport
Archie

Ford Wagon - My Next Car?

Post by Archie »

Okay, to be honest when I say 'my next car' I actually mean my first car. At the moment I drive one of my parents' cars; a 2004 BA Fairmont Ghia.

But, as I'm getting older I'd like to snag my own car. I'm looking at getting a wagon and having grown up around Fords and having only driven Fords, I'm a little partial to Ford. :D

Originally, I was looking at one of these in either BA or BF mod.

However, lately I've been kind of leaning more towards one of these beasts:

It looks nicer, has heaps more features and seems like a pretty nice car. The only thing though, is I've heard it's not the best, mechanically. I'm just wondering if any of you guys have/had a Mondeo wagon (any from 2007-12, really) and whether you've had any real problems with them. Is it worth spending the extra heap of money on a Mondeo wagon or should I just go for a BA/BF?
DexterPunk
Busted ARSE

Re: Ford Wagon - My Next Car?

Post by DexterPunk »

How old are you?? Only asking because I've always bought my cars without borrowing. I think it's a much better way to do it. The other argument would be that a newer car would be safer. But I'm really glad I have not committed to a large loan for something that depreciates so fast.

Regarding the Mondeo, I couldn't really tell you much. Have you looked at a focus? They generally get a good write up. I personally prefer smaller cars... Easier to park, usually better on fuel too. My Impreza is the largest car I've owned.

Sent from Han Solo using TK-421's phone.
ysu
Smooth Lubricator.

Post by ysu »

The other thing, in my opinion, if you've only used fords, maybe it's time to look around. I'm sure you don't want to be the bloke who only ever driven fords :-)
Surprise, no sig. Now there is. Or is there?
Exar Kun
Sensible Mick

Post by Exar Kun »

Money aside, the Mondeo is a great car. Almost as large as the Falcon. Much safer. Far better equipped. Will be a bit more fuel efficient (although difference in purchase price will negate that). Only downside are some of the drive trains. Current ecoboost engine is good but the original NA petrol was under powered for the size of car (especially if you're comparing to the inline 6 in the Falcon). Diesel was the better power plant early on.

If you're after a wagon and can deal with something slightly smaller then also consider Mazda 6 in the first shape. They're relatively cheap now.

Having said all that, the Falcon is a pretty dependable load hauled that has plenty of power and is cheap to fix when something goes wrong.
"If we can hit that bull's-eye, the rest of the dominoes will fall like a house of cards. Checkmate!"
Archie

Post by Archie »

DexterPunk wrote:How old are you?? Only asking because I've always bought my cars without borrowing. I think it's a much better way to do it. The other argument would be that a newer car would be safer. But I'm really glad I have not committed to a large loan for something that depreciates so fast.

Regarding the Mondeo, I couldn't really tell you much. Have you looked at a focus? They generally get a good write up. I personally prefer smaller cars... Easier to park, usually better on fuel too. My Impreza is the largest car I've owned.

I'm 19. If I buy a BA/BF wagon, I can afford it without getting a loan.

I have checked out some Focuses, a couple Fiestas and Lasers too, but I think I'm going to stick with the wagon. It's got more space and it's easier to get things in the boot.
ysu wrote:The other thing, in my opinion, if you've only used fords, maybe it's time to look around. I'm sure you don't want to be the bloke who only ever driven fords :-)
Well, the Fords we've had have all been really reliable and if anything has gone wrong, they're very quick and easy to get fixed.
Exar Kun wrote:Money aside, the Mondeo is a great car. Almost as large as the Falcon. Much safer. Far better equipped. Will be a bit more fuel efficient (although difference in purchase price will negate that). Only downside are some of the drive trains. Current ecoboost engine is good but the original NA petrol was under powered for the size of car (especially if you're comparing to the inline 6 in the Falcon). Diesel was the better power plant early on.

If you're after a wagon and can deal with something slightly smaller then also consider Mazda 6 in the first shape. They're relatively cheap now.

Having said all that, the Falcon is a pretty dependable load hauled that has plenty of power and is cheap to fix when something goes wrong.
Yeah, pretty much thinking what you've said here. Thanks for the feedback.
DexterPunk
Busted ARSE

Post by DexterPunk »

Yeah if you can buy the falcon without a loan, I say go down that path.

ysu
Smooth Lubricator.

Post by ysu »

Archie wrote:
ysu wrote:The other thing, in my opinion, if you've only used fords, maybe it's time to look around. I'm sure you don't want to be the bloke who only ever driven fords :-)
Well, the Fords we've had have all been really reliable and if anything has gone wrong, they're very quick and easy to get fixed.
Well, it's not about practicality, rather than experiencing something else. At 19 I was certainly ready for anything new :)
Mind you, I'm not trying to force my opinion on you, just explaining my point of view.
Surprise, no sig. Now there is. Or is there?
wild
Master artist
Master artist

Post by wild »

I've got a 2011 model Focus, which as far as I'm aware is pretty similar in build quality and features to the Mondeo, just a little smaller.

It's got its issues (fuel economy isn't as good as it could be, and it occasionally stalls just after starting for no apparent reason - runs perfectly otherwise). The stock headunit was also rubbish. Overall it's a great car though, and was a very good price. Also, you might be surprised at the amount of space in the back of a Focus - it has rear seats that fold completely flat. I've managed to fit quite a lot of stuff in it during my last house move, probably about as much if not more than my old EF Falcon sedan.

Go to dealers and test drive a few different cars before you make your mind up though.