Tripods

ARSE's photographers and arts forum
Big Kev
Clean as a Whistle
Clean as a Whistle

Tripods

Post by Big Kev »

Any recommendations?

I've been looking recently at maybe getting a tripod. Partly for some stuff I need to photograph to my works web site and partly because I think it might be useful.

The Giottos MTL9351B and 61B seem to score well in magazines. Also the Manfrotto 190XPROB gets a lot of mentions. I noticed that WEX currently has the latter with the 496RC2 ball head and a free monopod for £144 which doesn't seem too bad. I also like the fact that the centre column on the Manfrotto can be rigged up at 90 degrees.
ARSE Biscuits! Driftu Kingu!
My Flickr Stream
Swain OHaw

Re: Tripods

Post by Swain OHaw »

I own a Giottos, but not that one, it doesn't have the capacity to put the column horizontally, although it can be removed ... it's a good tripod, well built, nice to use, perhaps more spirit levels than strictly necessary - this is on the Three Way Head, at least. I've always assumed Giotto's to be Italian because the tripod comes with a tool kit in an immaculately designed and presented little case attached to the centre.

When I was buying, I looked at Manfrotto's offerings and decided I'd actually prefer the Giotto's. Having used a Manfrotto or two since, I still do prefer it, and it feels like a more quality product ...
Last edited by Swain OHaw on Tue Jan 29, 2013 3:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DexterPunk
Busted ARSE

Post by DexterPunk »

I just bought a Benro. Amazing quality but they may be more pricey depending what one you get. Worth a look.

Sent from Han Solo using TK-421's phone.
Speed

Post by Speed »

I looked at the 190XPROB & thought it was a bit flimsy for my needs & also a touch short.

Edit: I should add that I don't ever shoot landscapes so perhaps height isn't a big deal.
http://500px.com/Warren_Joyce" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
J.D.
Rat

Post by J.D. »

A rough rule of thumb is to halve the rated capacity of the tripod. You need that much headroom.

If your tripod is rated to 8 kilos, don't put more than 4 on it.

Also, aluminium and carbon fibre have very different resonance properties. Carbon is significantly better in this regard but a lot more expensive.
сначала мы убиваем американского лося и белку.

"Journalism is printing what someone else does not want printed. Everything else is public relations." - George Orwell.

Proudly never a mod or admin at RSC from 2001 - 2009.
Big Kev
Clean as a Whistle
Clean as a Whistle

Post by Big Kev »

Doing some more reading today, the 190 might be a little bit short for me. Also, as I'm not planning on taking it hiking etc I can get away with a heavier one.
The Manfrotto 055XPROB is a bit taller and sturdier so I think that's looking good at the moment. I can for-go the special offer with the monopod as, to be honest, I probably wouldn't use it.
ARSE Biscuits! Driftu Kingu!
My Flickr Stream