Triple monitors?

Computer and electronic gizmo support.
AstrO
Help Desk Expert

Re: Triple monitors?

Post by AstrO »

Let me know if you want me to test with any particular game settings, or CPU /GPU overclock settings.

For reference I'm using the following screens: http://www.p4c.philips.com/cgi-bin/dcbi ... 8C4QHSN/75" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
1 via HDMI to HDMI cable
2 via DVI to HDMI cable
3 via miniDP to DVI adapter (came with video card) then DVI to HDMI cable

All monitors have had image processing and dynamic settings disabled (to improve response and gain consistency).

[edit] yes it comes with 3GB of RAM, which is a must for triple screen gaming. :)
Duke
Dukester Maldonado
Dukester Maldonado

Post by Duke »

I have a question, how closely do all 3 monitors have to be in specification & if not the same what are the critical specs for triple screens to work well?
i.e, can triple screens work if all are the same resolution (1920x1080p) but are different in either or both;
Size: a 24" center & 21.5 or 22" side monitors
Response: a 2ms center & 5ms sides

I'm thinking given the side monitors are really your peripheral vision do they really need to be a perfectly clear picture?

I guess the biggest issue with different sizes is alignment issues at the bevels but would it really be that noticeable???
Dukester

norbs diplomacy lesson 101: "If I was putting words in your mouth, you'd know."
ysu
Smooth Lubricator.

Post by ysu »

I've different models of dell 24", and it worked well, but I had problems with bezel correction with ATI drivers - it just would not work (but this was a while ago)
They are all the same resolution.
That's all I can tell you.

Oh; the biggest issue with different resolutions/sizes is that the picture won't align up, most likely. But you can do tricks, like putting a smaller monitor in portrait mode to the side...
It's not just for peripheral vision in Assetto Corsa anymore, I actually need it to see the apex with the correct FoV set :) In FPS games it'd be peripheral only.
Surprise, no sig. Now there is. Or is there?
wobblysauce
Seen it, Done it, Invented it!

Post by wobblysauce »

Not really that important, but better as you will not notice the differences as much.

But if all the same resolution, better one in the middle, others to the sides.

Sorting the bevels is a bit of a personal thing also if not the same..
Some play it safe on the merry-go-round, others go for the thrills of the roller-coaster.

ᕙ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ᕗ vs ლ(ಠ益ಠ)ლ

I have a joke for you. I have a prediction that you are going to walk into a bar, my prediction was wrong and your wallet is gone.
Montey

Post by Montey »

Can anyone recommend me a monitor for setting up with 3 screens? My intention would be to purchase 3 of them at once.

I have 2 x GTX770 cards with 4GB in SLI configuration.

I'd like to get as high a resolution as possible.

Any recommendations?
- When trouble arises and things look bad, there is always one individual who perceives a solution and is willing to take command. Very often, that individual is crazy.
- If youre paddling upstream in a canoe and a wheel falls off, how many pancakes fit in a doghouse? None! Icecream doesn't have bones!!!
Montey

Post by Montey »

So, doing some more research I am now leaning towards an LG model.

Specifically the LG 27EA83-B, which is a 27" 2560x1440 IPS monitor. (Full details at http://www.umart.com.au/pro/products_re ... sid=135804" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;)

Does anyone have any thoughts or better alternatives to this monitor for a triple monitor setup?

Thanks for your help.
- When trouble arises and things look bad, there is always one individual who perceives a solution and is willing to take command. Very often, that individual is crazy.
- If youre paddling upstream in a canoe and a wheel falls off, how many pancakes fit in a doghouse? None! Icecream doesn't have bones!!!
wobblysauce
Seen it, Done it, Invented it!

Post by wobblysauce »

Bang for buck, it is up there.. others, some 4k monitors coming to market soon.
Some play it safe on the merry-go-round, others go for the thrills of the roller-coaster.

ᕙ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ᕗ vs ლ(ಠ益ಠ)ლ

I have a joke for you. I have a prediction that you are going to walk into a bar, my prediction was wrong and your wallet is gone.
Righteous
Master artist
Master artist

Post by Righteous »

Have a power through this thread if you haven't Montey.

Lots was discussed when Knappo built his new rig

http://www.arseforums.com/phpBB/viewtop ... 41&t=19113" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Duke
Dukester Maldonado
Dukester Maldonado

Post by Duke »

Any reason why you wouldn't wait for Occulus Rift & save the dollars between now & when it's released Montey?
Dukester

r8response
Cry baby
Cry baby

Post by r8response »

Flinty72 wrote:Any reason why you wouldn't wait for Occulus Rift & save the dollars between now & when it's released Montey?
It might have something to do with Oculus having no real firm release date for the consumer version. It could be 6 to 12 months away.
Montey

Post by Montey »

Thanks for the responses guys...

OR is not really on my radar for a number of reasons:

1) I am not a great fan of the 100% immersive experience; the inability to see things going around me in the real world (peripheral vision) is something I find very off putting;
2) Of what I have seen of OR, its a nice toy but the issues it has with actual display quality (e.g. size of pixels) would do my head in;
3) I can't plug my work laptop in to OR and create a powerpoint presention whilst reading a PDF on other screen, with email in the background. Not a great work productivity tool.

Thanks again.
Montey

Post by Montey »

Thanks for your input. In the end I have gone for an option which I think will probably overwhelm me with screen. 3 x Samsung S32D85KTSN 32inch LED Monitor which are 2560 x 1440 monitors; so screen acreage I will not be short of for some time. :-)
Shaun

Post by Shaun »

Jeez what are they worth lol
Hello :aussie:
r8response
Cry baby
Cry baby

Post by r8response »

$2k worth of monitors alone :D
Montey

Post by Montey »

I won't deny that if it wasn't for a tax return this wouldn't be happening; also that my mathematic rationale is that most of my monitors (historically) seem to last 7-8 years, so total divided by 8 isn't so bad.

That's, at least, what I'm telling myself.
Shaun

Post by Shaun »

Haha one way to justify it, I like it
Hello :aussie:
DexterPunk
Busted ARSE

Post by DexterPunk »

Montey wrote:I won't deny that if it wasn't for a tax return this wouldn't be happening; also that my mathematic rationale is that most of my monitors (historically) seem to last 7-8 years, so total divided by 8 isn't so bad.

Many people pay way more than that on a tele... If it's your hobby and you put time into it, who cares really. It's just money. I had a bit of fun with my tax return too :D
norbs
fucking right wing vegan lesbian

Post by norbs »

DexterPunk wrote:
Montey wrote:I won't deny that if it wasn't for a tax return this wouldn't be happening; also that my mathematic rationale is that most of my monitors (historically) seem to last 7-8 years, so total divided by 8 isn't so bad.

Many people pay way more than that on a tele... If it's your hobby and you put time into it, who cares really. It's just money. I had a bit of fun with my tax return too :D

:D
Sarc ; my second favourite type of gasm.
DexterPunk
Busted ARSE

Post by DexterPunk »

Haha bastard.
Duke
Dukester Maldonado
Dukester Maldonado

Post by Duke »

Awesome Montey, be sure to post some pics once you have them set up. ;)
Dukester

Montey

Post by Montey »

I have plugged the first monitor in and have come to the realisation that maybe its possible to have too much monitor. *gulp*

I'll post some pics as things get plugged in. At the moment I am operating one monitor and it is friggin huge. I really don't think I am going to need OR to achieve an immersive outcome with my entire field of view filled with screen and using TrackIR.
DexterPunk
Busted ARSE

Post by DexterPunk »

I'd still prefer OR, which is why I'm holding off till its launched.
ysu
Smooth Lubricator.

Post by ysu »

Montey wrote:I have plugged the first monitor in and have come to the realisation that maybe its possible to have too much monitor. *gulp*

I'll post some pics as things get plugged in. At the moment I am operating one monitor and it is friggin huge. I really don't think I am going to need OR to achieve an immersive outcome with my entire field of view filled with screen and using TrackIR.
You don't even need trackIR :) I know I don't, and it's only on 24" triples.
The only thing missing is the real 3D. But I can live w/o that. And I need the screen real estate for working, too.
Surprise, no sig. Now there is. Or is there?
Montey

Post by Montey »

OK.... so I have everything working. It took some fiddling, and Assetto Corsa didn't like it for a little bit..... picture time....

The first surprise was the size of the packaging. They seemed determined to pack 1 monitor in to the size box I expected to get 3. So it was quite an (illegal) adventure driving home with no rear window and no left side windows/mirror. Anyway, here are the boxes stack up...

And now a couple of in-game pictures...

Lets just say that the immersion is almost nauseating.

(p.s. let me know if the pictures don't work, as they are hosted from Google+)
KNAPPO
Master artist
Master artist

Post by KNAPPO »

Looking great Montey. Three 32's would be pretty dam awesome to sit behind.
What angle have you set them up at? I have mine at around 60-70 degrees. I have set them up so the far right and left edges are at the limit of my peripheral vision. Makes getting in and out a bit of a pain but its so worth it.

I had the same feeling of, eep 3 27" monitors is too much. After 2 weeks it felt normal.

The immersion is fantastic! I have a set of dark curtains behind my triples and last night there was a light gap right in the ctr of my setup. Every time i went thru a chicane and the cars direction changed the effect of all that monitor moving and the stationary ribbon of light behind the monitors created a weird nauseating effect. Its the first time ive felt it since owning triples.
Life is hard...but, life is harder when you're dumb.