Triple monitors?

Computer and electronic gizmo support.
Scottie

Triple monitors?

Post by Scottie »

Scottie would like to tap into the wisdom of ARSE, if he may?

He's been to this years Autosport International, and was completely won over by the motionsimulation.com rig that was there (Radical at Oulton Park... OMG!! Can't wait to go racing again!)

Anyway, I want to (at least eventually) get a triple screen system going at some stage, but don't know if something like that might need 1x Radeon 7970 sort of thing, of if anyone with experience might recommend 2x cards instead of one (to ensure FPS isn't effected)?

I'm hoping to go with a 22nm system, so Ivy Bridge 3770K on an ASUS board-GFX card (I've never had any issues with ASUS, bit of a fanboi now because of it.

Any Tips/tricks/advise from the mighty ARSE?

Thank you so much in advance!
Scottie

Re: Triple monitors?

Post by Scottie »

oh, and I just found this:

" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
wobblysauce
Seen it, Done it, Invented it!

Post by wobblysauce »

Amd or nVidia, both work.

Only need another card to assist just like if you have 1 screen, all depends on what settings you want to run at.
Some play it safe on the merry-go-round, others go for the thrills of the roller-coaster.

ᕙ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ᕗ vs ლ(ಠ益ಠ)ლ

I have a joke for you. I have a prediction that you are going to walk into a bar, my prediction was wrong and your wallet is gone.
Crowella

Post by Crowella »

I'm opting to do a triple monitor setup in the future so I've been holding out for the GTX670 or GTX680 (or 2 x GTX670) which can handle triple monitor setups. The HD7970 is always the alternative that could grab me away. I think any new, high end graphics card can do that with ease with any game out, even the latest if you can bear to turn the graphics down from ultra to really high :yes:

Depending on what you are going to play, I think one should be sufficient. I would say two would undoubtedly help. My recommendation is that you go for a 4GB version (and possibly Overclocked) if you will only be getting one card, just so it has the best chance, which ASUS pretty much does anyway :nod:

Google brought me this anyway. To be honest, either camp is good and it's just preference. :nod:
http://hexus.net/tech/reviews/graphics/ ... n-hd-7970/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Also, out of curiosity, why the 3770k as opposed the the 3550k?
ysu
Smooth Lubricator.

Post by ysu »

As far as I know:

nVidia

you either need an SLI mobo, and 2x 5xx or (up to) 670 card (I'm running 2x670 2GB - it's a more pricey solution but everything runs smooth in 5760x1200)
-or-
one 680 4MB (it can run up to 4 monitors) or 690

One 680 maybe enough for a lot of things, but it may still be a bit limited. Check reviews.
The 690 is about on par with 2x670 but much more expensive (~$800 for 2x670 and ~$1200 for a single 690) The 690 contains two 670 essentially, but on one closed circuit. IT maybe worthwhile if you don't want to buy a new mobo for SLI.

Ati

It can run triple monitors off one card since the 5xxx series (if I remember correctly) I've tried it, but the single card solution just wasn't powerful enough. Then I've bought another ATI card, and had all sorts of problems with the driver. It run, but it was painful as changing modes often resulted in crashes, had lag spiking problems, etc. I'm not saying ATI is bad, but my experience certainly was; the driver just wasn't up to scratch, through numerous driver updates (for a year or so). I'll not go with ATI in the foreseeable future, that's for sure :) But I suspect one high-end ati card is cheaper and almost as powerful as a high-end nV.

One more thing: Check the monitor connectors. Ati 3-monitor setup runs off display port ONLY(!). nV SLI runs off normal DVI, but I suspect with the single-card solutions you will need display port again.

hope this helps.
Surprise, no sig. Now there is. Or is there?
Scottie

Post by Scottie »

Crowella wrote:Also, out of curiosity, why the 3770k as opposed the the 3550k?
Just cause it's slightly faster, more L3 cache and was sorta trying to future-proof it a little... and the 3770K killed the 3550 in this benchmark: http://www.cpubenchmark.net/high_end_cpus.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Come to think about it, most of my previous PC's have had ATI cards, and haven't had too much go wrong with them. But looking at the latest benchmarks, it looks like nVidia is the way to go currently... I was going to go with a 4GB card, but then I read this review:
http://www.hardocp.com/article/2013/01/ ... _review/10" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
And thought maybe 2GB should be OK initially, and then expand to a second card if the need arises? In which case, I have my eyes on a GeForce GTX 660 Ti... as it seems to be holding up well in its price bracket.

I'd primarily be using iRacing on this machine, and the setup options for the screens seem well supported. For other games like F1 2012/Race Stars, xPlane or Simcity, I'll need to see how I get on... I guess I might use them for xPlane, should be pretty epic.

Anyway, thanks for the help guys! Good to see my thoughts weren't too far off the mark!

Oh, and should it be available... I'mhoping on upgrading from a desk to an Obutto R3volution :D
Yes, this thread would be useless without pics! I'll show you once everything's sorted! :D

Any further tips on this thing... whether I should downgrade something, is always welcome!

i7 3770K
Asus P8Z77 WS MoBo
GeForce GTX 660 Ti
Corsair Vengeance 16GB (2x8GB)
Samsung 250GB SSD
3x Samsung S24A450B 24"
850W PSU
Crowella

Post by Crowella »

Fair call on the i7. Personally I couldn't justify it since I know my current build won't be top of the line but if I can make it relevant and at least last around as long my last PC (about 4-5 years) then I should be more than content. Also, the GTX 660 Ti would be a perfect card for doubling up, I agree with that. A few friends of mine upgraded their graphics cards to them and one was claiming +120fps on games using the Unreal engine so guess that's a good sign with what I assume is a one monitor setup at least.

From your list I can say that's a good machine right there. You got any other drives to go with the SSD?

Also, have you got the monitors yet? They are the only thing I've yet to decide on and the Samsung's look like a good option but not sure if 3 x 24" will be overkill. I was planning for at least 3 x 21" which is better than a 19" and a 17" together. So basically, are those monitors any good?

For reference, my current machine line up is sounding similar and hopefully I will have it running this week:

i5 3570k
ASRock Z68 Extreme3 Gen3 (requires BIOS update before I can use it)
ATI Radeon HD6970 (until I can afford a GTX 670, just on loan from a machine that won't allow two to work together for some reason)
G.Skill Ripjaws 8Gb (2x4Gb) (Will get to 16GB in the future or if I can find the other two sticks around)
Samsung 128GB SSD
2 x Seagate 1Tb HDD
Corsair TX850W PSU
Philips DVD/RW
Thernaltake ISGC-300 Cooler (Might overclock the CPU to 4.0GHZ)

Vast improvement from my current G5 Mac ;)
ysu
Smooth Lubricator.

Post by ysu »

Just a heads up;
I was looking to get the 660 Ti as well, but I've read something which made me reconsider, either some problem or shortcoming on v-high resolutions (i.e. triple screen setups)
Can't remember where, but it was a review not just a forum post.
For a single screen it's perfectly good.
Crowella

Post by Crowella »

But was that with more than one 660? If you are running something like 5960x1080 then yes, I expect it to chug and I would say go two cards. I think two 660's would solve that problem but I'm not sure.
Scottie

Post by Scottie »

yeah I'll have a few more drives to complement the SSD, SSD is only 250GB, so just for the OS really.

Haven't got the screens, or anything for that matter, yet. I went to 24's cause I'm used to a 32 TV as my main screen, but if I find a decent 22 or 23 for a good price, I wouldn't be too scared going to them.

I heard with these screens that it might be better setting them in a portrait style when setting up 3x1?

I guess it depends on what FOV you want, and how much you want to see...

I just thought of something else... I just need one DisplayPort screen... that is one of the things limiting which screen I can get. I could get something a little cheaper either side... but would be better to have all the same for the picture quality I guess! If I'm gonna do it... It should be done properly!
ysu
Smooth Lubricator.

Post by ysu »

Crowella wrote:But was that with more than one 660? If you are running something like 5960x1080 then yes, I expect it to chug and I would say go two cards. I think two 660's would solve that problem but I'm not sure.
Yes it was 2x660Ti SLI on 3 monitors - and now I've recalled that the problem was with some bus-throughput; it just wasn't enough. So the cards were not able to perform to their maximum. And this was connected to the large number of pixels.

For racing you can leave them in landscape :) you really don't need vertical FoV.
The portrait mode puts the bezels very close to the center anyway. I did not like it, but try it anyway. If you get monitors with decent stands (or one decent stand) then you'll be able to change between the layouts.
OH yes: if you get monitors with 'static' stands (non-adjustable) it'll be cheaper, but you need a stand. I've opted for fully adjustable stands, thankfully.

With different monitors, you will want to stick with nVidia - if you want bezel correction. Last time I checked the ATI drivers were really sensitive about differences - even different versions of the very same monitor weren't good enough, and bezel correction was not allowed.
wobblysauce

Post by wobblysauce »

Scottie wrote:..I just thought of something else... I just need one DisplayPort screen... that is one of the things limiting which screen I can get. I could get something a little cheaper either side... but would be better to have all the same for the picture quality I guess! If I'm gonna do it... It should be done properly!
Only If you use Amd GPU Card/s

In all respects you might as well wait for the release of AMD 8000 series or 700 Series Nvidia cards even to get a price drop on the current cards.

AMD in March to April

Nvidia is April to June.
Last edited by wobblysauce on Mon Feb 04, 2013 12:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Some play it safe on the merry-go-round, others go for the thrills of the roller-coaster.

ᕙ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ᕗ vs ლ(ಠ益ಠ)ლ

I have a joke for you. I have a prediction that you are going to walk into a bar, my prediction was wrong and your wallet is gone.
ysu
Smooth Lubricator.

Post by ysu »

That is actually an idea. If you're not in a hurry, I'm sure you can pick up 2x670 for ~$500 or $600 a month or two after the release of the new stuff...Altho it depends; if they don't release the 70 series, only the 80 initially, then you might need to wait a bit longer. Or you can even start out using one 680 (it can run 3 after all) and extend it once the prices drop :)
Crowella

Post by Crowella »

Didn't realise that the next series of cards are coming in so soon... I might hold out on the PC build for just a little longer if that's the case.

On the topic of monitors, I bought one Samsung S23B350 earlier today and it is a really nice display so far :) I can see myself using another two of these in the future so I guess the monitors are a box ticked. Massive difference to the 19" I've been using for so long. Just need to do the normal setting up to make both screens similar in colour/brightness/gamma/etc;
wobblysauce

Post by wobblysauce »

Also my rig ATM,
Coolermaster HAF X
i5 3570K @4Ghz
Asus P8Z77V_PRO
Gigabyte GTX 670 OC Windforce @GPU 1300+ Mem 1900MHz
G-skill 16GB (2x8GB) PC12800 9-9-9-23
HDD Space 9TB Total, no SSD yet
1 46"main,1 24"side , I have tried 3 24" but didn't like it missing the Hight, also it can run 4 screens at once.
850W PSU

Sound is another issue you might look into.

My case is a whisper of sound...

Gpu is 24db quite while watching movies and 32db gaming if that- never seen a record above 50% rated fan speed. The access of a Hdd from sleep mode makes more noise.
Like my last Pc -well the GPU at lest HD6970 31db-41db. NH-D14 sub 20db

ᕙ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ᕗ vs ლ(ಠ益ಠ)ლ

Scottie

Post by Scottie »

I was thinking about it more today...

So, with the nVidia cards... the monitors don't need to be DisplayPort equipped? They could just be, like, DVI and HDMI?!

I haven't found anything on the web otherwise to be honest. The only thing I've found on the web si that I'll almost definately need to SLI 2x cards together...
ysu
Smooth Lubricator.

Post by ysu »

Scottie wrote:I was thinking about it more today...

So, with the nVidia cards... the monitors don't need to be DisplayPort equipped? They could just be, like, DVI and HDMI?!

I haven't found anything on the web otherwise to be honest. The only thing I've found on the web si that I'll almost definately need to SLI 2x cards together...
You do not need 2 cards with 680 and 690 - they can do it with one card. But most likely, you need display port to use this feature, on the 680 at least (it has only 2 dvi connectors I think)
Under 680 you definitely need 2 cards in SLI, but you do not need display port, these cards have enough dvi connectors - 2 each. (HDMI won't work methinks, there's only 1 connector per card)
Scottie

Post by Scottie »

Sweet!!! Thanks YSU :D

Been fine-tuning the system this evening and that is exactly what I needed! :D:D:D
r8response
Cry baby
Cry baby

Post by r8response »

From the Nvidia website
The GeForce GTX 680 sports two DVI connectors, one HDMI connector, and one DisplayPort connector. In 2D Surround, gamers can use any of the four display connectors to power their Surround setup, and the fourth display connector for the Accessory Display.

One 680 can do 3 monitors in surround.
wobblysauce

Post by wobblysauce »

1 670 can do it also, the only game that I have seen it max out the 2gb of ram has been BF3 64 player maps when on ultra settings, few texture setting swaps got it to 1.8gb and it was fine. Also running a 4th monitor for other things.

Though another card never hurt or get a 4gb card.

Thinking about it, if you have say an 9800gt or something you could use that for your dedicated PhysX card.. and get some extra frames that way.

ᕙ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ᕗ vs ლ(ಠ益ಠ)ლ

ysu
Smooth Lubricator.

Post by ysu »

You're right you can connect and use up to 4 monitors with one 670, but only in desktop mode. 3D games will run on single monitor. You can't make it a '2D surround' a.k.a 'eyefinity' (on Ati). That requires the SLI setup, and that's what the 680 can apparently do standalone.
Unless I'm mistaken and the 670 can do it as well? But that's not what I remember reading.

Edit: hm...I just had another search and it would seem the 670 can indeed run 3 monitors in 2D surround. My bad.
Crowella

Post by Crowella »

I was about to say, I have a lot riding on the idea that the 670 can do 3 monitors in 2D surround even if it means turning the resolution and/or graphics down slightly to compensate.
wobblysauce

Post by wobblysauce »

670 is a 680 with 1 core disabled, do a tiny oc and it is the same speed as a 680 stock.. all depending on the chip you happen to get, being it can be faster or slower.

In my case it is faster, only thing it is lacking compared to a 7970 or 680 is the extra Ram- being that I got the 2Gb card not the 4gb edition as I wasn't interested in the 5,940x1080 rez, but the line is blurred when you start to OC them also, being I can go higher then 1300MHz but I also am 1 Core down so it is about the same depending on what game you want to compare it with.

ATM though bang for buck, you might be better off with a 7970 non GHz edition-as a small OC can get the same levels of performance.
Using 1DP +2 DVI.

Or if you don't want to pay the higher power bills a 670oc-680 is the more efficient card for the level of performance- also if you have an older nVidia card you could use for the dedicated PhysX card.
Using any mix of 1 DP, 1HDMI or the 2 DVI ports.

It is all a sliding scale depending on what you want to do with your system.

ᕙ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ᕗ vs ლ(ಠ益ಠ)ლ

Scottie

Post by Scottie »

alright, well... that was a big order!

Obutto R3volution, new G27, i7 Z77 machine with twin 660 Ti's and a sound card just in case I fancy some Simvibes down the line, 3x Asus 24" Monitors!

I did have ears for those with the 670's, but I heard with three monitors that despite some graphics cards having huge RAM, they sometimes fall short in not having the BUS speed to process it all in time, hence the twins. Also sorta future-proofs too.

Let's see how it fits into my new place!

Yes, Pics will follow!
Last edited by Scottie on Mon Feb 25, 2013 4:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
wobblysauce

Post by wobblysauce »

Scottie, Not a bad choice at all.

Looking at the Nvidia GeForce GTX Titan reviews, cant wait to see what AMD/Ati put out, then see what the price drops are going to be like again.

ᕙ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ᕗ vs ლ(ಠ益ಠ)ლ