SimCity - Anyone getting it?

General game chat
dvestate
Prize Winning ARSE

SimCity - Anyone getting it?

Post by dvestate »

The new SimCity is out, anyone getting it?

Was in JB today and almost bought it, read that there are some issues atm due to everything being saved online with there are some issues as more people are getting setup
nutty
Spam King
Spam King

Re: SimCity - Anyone getting it?

Post by nutty »

im on the fence... might wait a week or two
dvestate
Prize Winning ARSE

Post by dvestate »

I am sort of doing the same, wanted to buy it but was not sure it was going to be really good
r8response
Cry baby
Cry baby

Post by r8response »

Wait it out for a couple of weeks. It's alot like the Diablo 3 launch. Servers are getting hammered and people are whinging, bitching and moaning.
Shonky

Post by Shonky »

I'm keen as but waiting for things to settle down a bit, got bitten by Diablo 3, now twice shy.
Righteous
Master artist
Master artist

Post by Righteous »

Same for me, just holding out till servers crap is sorted. I was going to get it at launch, but having seen the issues people are having. I'll wait.
GT VIRUS
Karen

Post by GT VIRUS »

I did get it, About 3 hours later I'm still waiting to play it.

Oh, note for anyone buying it at the stores: You still need to download most of the content anyway
SE1Z

Post by SE1Z »

I was keen, then I played the beta.

I'm not sure what I was expecting, but I wasn't blown away....

I'll wait 'till it's on sale.
Steve
---
dvestate
Prize Winning ARSE

Post by dvestate »

Thanks GT, let us know how it goes

ahhhhh Se1z your the one I heard was a Beta tester (was about to email to ask if it was you I was thinking of), so didn't blow you away but was it fun/addictive to play?
Crowella

Post by Crowella »

I bought it and so far I haven't connected once.

Might just play Sim City 4 instead.
wabbit

Post by wabbit »

Still waiting for "Spring" (cause I'm a Mac tard).
NeilPearson
Prize Winning ARSE

Post by NeilPearson »

Poor Mac Tard.

Id stay away from it at the moment, 30 minutes to log into a game for single player use. :\
NeilPearson
Prize Winning ARSE

Post by NeilPearson »

Poor Mac Tard.

Id stay away from it at the moment, 30 minutes to log into a game for single player use. :\
nutty
Spam King
Spam King

Post by nutty »

I really dont mind the idea of "online only" I play everything on my PC which is basically always on the internet.

But fuck me if your going to commit to an idea like that, make sure your server farm is elastic enough to handle the load or its a giant fucking waste of everyones time
r8response
Cry baby
Cry baby

Post by r8response »

nutty wrote:I really dont mind the idea of "online only" I play everything on my PC which is basically always on the internet.

But fuck me if your going to commit to an idea like that, make sure your server farm is elastic enough to handle the load or its a giant fucking waste of everyones time

Clearly they didn't learn anything from the clusterfuck that was the D3 launch. At least there is an oceanic server, even if it is getting hammered and barely working.
kwijibo
Squatting Squirter

Post by kwijibo »

Was very tempted, being $43 from video ezy http://www.videoezy.com.au/games/simcit ... 27#bc=cb77" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I really don't want to support EA and their shitty always on DRM though... as much as I loved Sim City 2000
SE1Z

Post by SE1Z »

Anyone from here managed to get on and have a game or 3?
I'd be curious to know your thoughts...

As I said above, it certainly didn't blow me away.

I was very keen after seeing all the teaser youtube vids they put out.

Maybe it was the limitations of the beta, but I just got bored. Quickly.

Maybe the online part of the full game, dealing with 'real' neighbouring towns is where the fun is.
Steve
---
Shonky

Post by Shonky »

r8response wrote:
nutty wrote:I really dont mind the idea of "online only" I play everything on my PC which is basically always on the internet.

Clearly they didn't learn anything from the clusterfuck that was the D3 launch. At least there is an oceanic server, even if it is getting hammered and barely working.
The oceanic server is not all it appears, apparently the servers are all hosted by Amazon in the UK, even the US servers are in the UK, how that makes sense to any sane person is beyond me.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2
petey

Post by petey »

So they are just named proxy's for a UK cloud?

I imagine ping times are not an issue so really it kinda does make sense.
If you can leave two black stripes from the exit of one corner to the braking zone of the next, you finally have enough horsepower.
nutty
Spam King
Spam King

Post by nutty »

D3 is hosted on Amazon? or Simcity?

I really struggle to understand how they are having problems if they are on AWS EC2... Thats the whole point of it..
http://aws.amazon.com/ec2/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
r8response
Cry baby
Cry baby

Post by r8response »

SHoNKY wrote:
r8response wrote:

The oceanic server is not all it appears, apparently the servers are all hosted by Amazon in the UK, even the US servers are in the UK, how that makes sense to any sane person is beyond me.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2
Well that's just fucked.
GT VIRUS
Karen

Post by GT VIRUS »

All the server rumour shit is just that, shit rumours. The facts are, even if they are using some 3rd party system, is that it doesn't work now. I just lost about an hour of city building because of the servers. It's not one to buy now, give it some weeks.

However, what i've played is good. The broken aspects of the game are annoying, but you can see the potential once the servers work. I set up a city with most of the dirty resources, and my GF has one set up for vacation. We'll test again once the server load settles down
Crowella

Post by Crowella »

I've still not been able to connect. Closest I got was the loading screen for the tutorial city.

I don't like always online. Partly because Sim City is the kind of game I like to play on the laptop on the train to Uni and to kind of get away from everything with but also because I've never really wanted to be "social" with it. I understand the single player mode saves that and I will most likely give multiplayer a try (and probably like it too) but for a game where I still play three of the previous versions of, it's pretty disappointing.

Basically, I just want single player without this server bs.
Shonky

Post by Shonky »

Sorry guys, I was just passing on 2nd hand info I'd seen on Whingepool, someone linked to the file below which I assume is the address for each faux region. I guess if you tracert all the different addresses in there you end up at the same destination.

http://worlds.simcity.com/parallelworlds.json
nutty
Spam King
Spam King

Post by nutty »

hahah it just makes me fucking laugh, all day people come in and sell AWS style cloud as this "magic bullet" to all your problems..

Just goes to show if you dont do it correctly you end up shooting yourself with the bullet..