Oculus Rift

Computer and electronic gizmo support.
hutchy

Re: Oculus Rift

Post by hutchy »

Dr. Pain wrote:Rifts are $529 til December 30 if anyone is thinking about it.

https://www.oculus.com/
Still on special...https://www.amazon.com.au/Oculus-Touch- ... rds=oculus

Jnr Hutchy came home with a proper gaming PC last week yay! Was thinking of getting one are they worth it?
DarrenM

Post by DarrenM »

I think it's a permanent price drop. $529 direct from oculus as well.

https://www.oculus.com/rift/

If you want to do more in VR than sims then it's worth it in my opinion.
Cursed

Post by Cursed »

I do wonder how close they are to a new release, even though there hasn't been any indications that one is coming.

That said, this is one purchase I do not regret. It really does change the way you appreciate some styles of game.

Also - got my WidmoVR lens inserts over the Xmas period (about $150 for high-index lenses). Pretty good so far, although they do occasionally brush against my neanderthal brow and eyelashes and pick a bit of oil in the process. Bit of a pain to clean them. All in all they do make it very comfortable to wear. Would recommend. My fear of not being able to read out the nose-gap is justified, but I'll suck it up.
Image[url=steam://friends/add/76561197962772149]Image[/url]
hutchy

Post by hutchy »

Thanks guys........we all know how great I am with computers.....are they pretty much plug & play or is there a lot of set up required?
DarrenM

Post by DarrenM »

Pretty easy. Fiddly bit is getting the cameras setup. Preferably up high in the corners, pointing down to the middle. You can get away with 2 cameras for small room scale, but a third camera helps with larger areas. Only need one seeing you for simracing, preferably not too far from your seat.

Ideally you'll want them setup and left in place covering a clear 2.5x2.5m area or larger. If you have to put them back up or move a bunch of furniture every time you want to play, you're not going to want to play it for long. Barrier to entry will be too high.

You'll also need to make sure there's no mirrors etc in the room. The cameras can be tricked by reflections of the headset.

And for the love of god, don't have any tv's, monitors or other breakable items within 1m of your play area or it WILL get smashed :)
hutchy

Post by hutchy »

lol cheers Darren sounds like fun!!
DarrenM

Post by DarrenM »

The WindowsMR headsets are a bit easier as they don't need the external camera/sensors. Rift still has the best controllers.

If you drop a grenade at your feet, don't run :)

richo

Post by richo »

Rift was $290.00 US when I was in Hawaii couple of weeks ago and I'm still kicking myself for not buying one .

They were cheapest in the Microsoft store of all things.
[]D [] []v[] []D
Dr. Pain

Post by Dr. Pain »

hutchy wrote:

Jnr Hutchy came home with a proper gaming PC last week yay! Was thinking of getting one are they worth it?
Hutchy, I've had mine for about 6 months now. It's still the coolest damn thing I've ever bought! Playing Pcars 2 in VR is fantastic as you see the elevations and your point of view is in the car. Dirt Rally in VR scares the shit out of me. I think that's the best racing game in VR to date. But as Darren says, make sure you have room for the other games as you'll be swinging swords or cricket bats, golf clubs, bashing things with shields and you will smash your hands on things if they are too close.
Minister for Religious Genocide.
hutchy

Post by hutchy »

Dr. Pain wrote:
hutchy wrote:

Hutchy, I've had mine for about 6 months now. It's still the coolest damn thing I've ever bought! Playing Pcars 2 in VR is fantastic as you see the elevations and your point of view is in the car. Dirt Rally in VR scares the shit out of me. I think that's the best racing game in VR to date. But as Darren says, make sure you have room for the other games as you'll be swinging swords or cricket bats, golf clubs, bashing things with shields and you will smash your hands on things if they are too close.

Cheers Doc......decision is made going to be a fun winter of sim race for junior & I!!
hutchy

Post by hutchy »

Well my Oculus arrived yesterday :nod: :D

After wasting several hours setting up (getting seating position correct) and Steam VR not being very cooperative with controllers for PCars2 (ended up running through the Oculus App) managed some laps.......very cool I have to say!

A little vomit inducing though :puke: Hopefully this is something I can get used to or tune a little with settings..........Anyone else have this problem when they first started?
pixelboy

Post by pixelboy »

Thats why norbs sent his back.

It happens to me if I look around too much or do donuts. But I manage to stay OK. Having said that, Im going to run 2D for the 1hr race.
eek
GT VIRUS
Karen

Post by GT VIRUS »

I have that issue, but only in PC2. Every other sim is fine for me
Dr. Pain

Post by Dr. Pain »

Spend a little time in it each day. Hopefully that way you can slowly get use to it. It did take me a few days to get use to it in Pcars2 but I wasn't dealing with motion sickness. I was more disorientated at first with it. Having those track side objects go by was doing it for me. I got use to it by focusing on the track in front of me and trying to ignore what was going by me.

But I did play a shit load of War Thunder to start with. That's a Spitfire or Mustang air frame around you and the ground somewhere down below. It got me use to the environment within the headset and looking around. At first I flew alone and just enjoyed the view. Then I started on AI where I would stay up at 4 kilometres looking around and watching other people fight bots at 1.5 k's high. I would only attack bombers. Having that height and nothing around me did help and all I was seeing was a Spitfire around and I was saying "how fucking cool is this!" a lot.

So maybe try a flight sim to ease into it. You can play War Thunder on keyboard and mouse in VR which is nice and it's free to play. Just got to download it.
hutchy

Post by hutchy »

Cheers all ease into it seems to be the way go! I'll give War Thunder as shot as well Doc!
hylas

Post by hylas »

I initially got a little bit of sickness with racing but honestly it took very little time to adjust. Each person is different but regardless you should still adjust over time.

Flight sim was a different story, I initially felt quite sick after only 10minutes and that took a lot longer to adjust. However the same thing applies, I slowly adjusted and now I have no problem flying around upside down or spinning around. Just give it time and you will be fine.
DarrenM

Post by DarrenM »

In PC2 try playing with the world movement slider. One end of the slider (0 I think) makes the camera stay locked to the horizon and the other makes it locked to the car. Moving it should help depending on whether your brain is hitching to the horizon or the cockpit. It affects people differently so you'll need to experiment.

Assetto and Dirt Rally have similar options.

With it locked more to the cockpit you might also need to adjust the gforce slider or it'll be hard to see where you're going over bumps and curbs. Also make sure you're getting 45fps minimum, preferably 90. Any less and you'll start seeing display lag/choppiness which won't help.

It will get better if you do a little bit every day or 2. When I started I had to close my eyes whenever launching or stopping the car as that triggered me the most. You're brain expects g-forces that aren't there and thinks it's hallucinating so it goes into purge poison mode. Crashes aren't great either :)

Whatever you do, don't try to plow through it. You'll just train your brain to associate vr with sickness. If you start to feel queasy or you're getting cold sweats, stop for the day.
Cursed

Post by Cursed »

Echoing Darren's post here. Some of those settings really help. A search for "recommended Oculus settings" for whichever game you're using will give you a good starting point.

Just remember that this is a new bunch of stimuli for your brain to process. You're going to need to train it to process what is happening. Maybe keep telling yourself in your head that you're not actually moving and this is just a fancy monitor strapped to your face. Maybe your conscious mind can inform those instinctive parts that everything is just fine. Giving up after an hour or a day is a mistake in my opinion.
Image[url=steam://friends/add/76561197962772149]Image[/url]
hutchy

Post by hutchy »

Thanks gents.......found a recommended set up (locked more to car & cockpit). Started with a Toyota GT86 at Imola strung together a few laps without many issues them went straight to Bathurst in a GT3 car and had a ball!! Loving it! Big key was to drive as you would in the real world and stop looking out of the side windows at all of the nice scenery lol.

I think my frame rate is good but how do you check?
Dr. Pain

Post by Dr. Pain »

Not sure. I've only ever gone off any stuttering. The rift either runs at 90 or 45 fps.

I never liked Bathurst in 2d, but 3d is something else.
TIMMY30

Post by TIMMY30 »

Gday guys. Anyone here playing 100% of their racing with the rift these days? Im space limited and triples arent an option currently.

Just curious to know if its possible to do 3-4 hours in a row in one.

Cheers
hutchy

Post by hutchy »

TIMMY30 wrote:Gday guys. Anyone here playing 100% of their racing with the rift these days? Im space limited and triples arent an option currently.

Just curious to know if its possible to do 3-4 hours in a row in one.

Cheers
Yes 100% (of the little I do) my maximum time for a full race is 1 hour. Spend a couple of hours at a time using it normally.
DarrenM

Post by DarrenM »

I've been 100% since DK2. I do Friday night arse racing in it which sometimes goes for 3 hours. I've also played DCS, Elite and other games for a couple hours at a time without issue. There are people who do long enduro race stints in VR on iracing.

I play 2D games like wreckfest in VR using virtual desktop, so it's been a few years since I even used a monitor at my cockpit.

I have an advantage in not being a sweaty fucker, but having a fan blowing over you should be enough for most people.
TIMMY30

Post by TIMMY30 »

Thanks guys. Im a sweaty fucker alright. Ill make sure i get onto a cooling solution straight away.

Are any of you changing the inserts at all? I noticed you can buy these: https://vrcover.com . Apparantly they increase comfort somewhat.

Cheers
DarrenM

Post by DarrenM »

I used covers with DK2 since you couldn't replace the foam and it got pretty rank after a while. I'm not sweaty, I'm oily. Having washable covers was nice but I've been happy with the standard padding on the Rift so far and you can buy replacements for $39.

They help if you've got multiple people using it as well. Demoing the rift to someone then putting it back on yourself to find it's full of cold sweat isn't a nice experience.

I guess $19 for the washable covers isn't too much of a gamble to take and could if you sweat a lot. I've seen people complain that the nose section comes loose on them and varying fit quality since they're hand made. Not sure if they've solved that issue. You could always tie it on with twist ties or something.

https://vrcover.com/product/oculus-rift ... -nosefree/

I wouldn't bother with the replacement kits until you've got one and found out whether you like how it fits or not.