Oculus Rift

Computer and electronic gizmo support.
wobblysauce
Seen it, Done it, Invented it!

Re: Oculus Rift

Post by wobblysauce »

http://www.reddit.com/r/oculus/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases ... 28061.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.joystiq.com/2014/03/25/faceb ... oculus-vr/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Yap...
Zuckerberg wrote: I'm excited to announce that we've agreed to acquire Oculus VR, the leader in virtual reality technology.
Our mission is to make the world more open and connected. For the past few years, this has mostly meant building mobile apps that help you share with the people you care about. We have a lot more to do on mobile, but at this point we feel we're in a position where we can start focusing on what platforms will come next to enable even more useful, entertaining and personal experiences.
This is where Oculus comes in. They build virtual reality technology, like the Oculus Rift headset. When you put it on, you enter a completely immersive computer-generated environment, like a game or a movie scene or a place far away. The incredible thing about the technology is that you feel like you're actually present in another place with other people. People who try it say it's different from anything they've ever experienced in their lives.
Oculus's mission is to enable you to experience the impossible. Their technology opens up the possibility of completely new kinds of experiences.
Immersive gaming will be the first, and Oculus already has big plans here that won't be changing and we hope to accelerate. The Rift is highly anticipated by the gaming community, and there's a lot of interest from developers in building for this platform. We're going to focus on helping Oculus build out their product and develop partnerships to support more games. Oculus will continue operating independently within Facebook to achieve this.
But this is just the start. After games, we're going to make Oculus a platform for many other experiences. Imagine enjoying a court side seat at a game, studying in a classroom of students and teachers all over the world or consulting with a doctor face-to-face -- just by putting on goggles in your home.
This is really a new communication platform. By feeling truly present, you can share unbounded spaces and experiences with the people in your life. Imagine sharing not just moments with your friends online, but entire experiences and adventures.
These are just some of the potential uses. By working with developers and partners across the industry, together we can build many more. One day, we believe this kind of immersive, augmented reality will become a part of daily life for billions of people.
Virtual reality was once the dream of science fiction. But the internet was also once a dream, and so were computers and smartphones. The future is coming and we have a chance to build it together. I can't wait to start working with the whole team at Oculus to bring this future to the world, and to unlock new worlds for all of us.
palmerluckeyFounder, Oculus VR wrote:I’ve always loved games. They’re windows into worlds that let us travel somewhere fantastic. My foray into virtual reality was driven by a desire to enhance my gaming experience; to make my rig more than just a window to these worlds, to actually let me step inside them. As time went on, I realized that VR technology wasn’t just possible, it was almost ready to move into the mainstream. All it needed was the right push.
We started Oculus VR with the vision of making virtual reality affordable and accessible, to allow everyone to experience the impossible. With the help of an incredible community, we’ve received orders for over 75,000 development kits from game developers, content creators, and artists around the world. When Facebook first approached us about partnering, I was skeptical. As I learned more about the company and its vision and spoke with Mark, the partnership not only made sense, but became the clear and obvious path to delivering virtual reality to everyone. Facebook was founded with the vision of making the world a more connected place. Virtual reality is a medium that allows us to share experiences with others in ways that were never before possible.
Facebook is run in an open way that’s aligned with Oculus’ culture. Over the last decade, Mark and Facebook have been champions of open software and hardware, pushing the envelope of innovation for the entire tech industry. As Facebook has grown, they’ve continued to invest in efforts like with the Open Compute Project, their initiative that aims to drive innovation and reduce the cost of computing infrastructure across the industry. This is a team that’s used to making bold bets on the future.
In the end, I kept coming back to a question we always ask ourselves every day at Oculus: what’s best for the future of virtual reality? Partnering with Mark and the Facebook team is a unique and powerful opportunity. The partnership accelerates our vision, allows us to execute on some of our most creative ideas and take risks that were otherwise impossible. Most importantly, it means a better Oculus Rift with fewer compromises even faster than we anticipated.
Very little changes day-to-day at Oculus, although we’ll have substantially more resources to build the right team. If you want to come work on these hard problems in computer vision, graphics, input, and audio, please apply!
This is a special moment for the gaming industry — Oculus’ somewhat unpredictable future just became crystal clear: virtual reality is coming, and it’s going to change the way we play games forever.
I’m obsessed with VR. I spend every day pushing further, and every night dreaming of where we are going. Even in my wildest dreams, I never imagined we’d come so far so fast.
I’m proud to be a member of this community — thank you all for carrying virtual reality and gaming forward and trusting in us to deliver. We won’t let you down.

" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
@notch wrote:We were in talks about maybe bringing a version of Minecraft to Oculus. I just cancelled that deal. Facebook creeps me out.
Some play it safe on the merry-go-round, others go for the thrills of the roller-coaster.

ᕙ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ᕗ vs ლ(ಠ益ಠ)ლ

I have a joke for you. I have a prediction that you are going to walk into a bar, my prediction was wrong and your wallet is gone.
Exar Kun
Sensible Mick

Post by Exar Kun »

Whilst it's his call, that seems a bit narrow-minded by notch.
"If we can hit that bull's-eye, the rest of the dominoes will fall like a house of cards. Checkmate!"
wobblysauce

Post by wobblysauce »

Well it is Notch we are talking about, though it would be great if it worked with Minecraft.
Some play it safe on the merry-go-round, others go for the thrills of the roller-coaster.

ᕙ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ᕗ vs ლ(ಠ益ಠ)ლ

I have a joke for you. I have a prediction that you are going to walk into a bar, my prediction was wrong and your wallet is gone.
DarrenM

Post by DarrenM »

Pretty typical knee jerk reaction from notch. He did a blog about it.
http://notch.net/2014/03/virtual-realit ... the-world/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Doesn't make much sense to me. He says they were in talks with oculus to see what could be done and that minecraft doesn't really work for VR, yet at the bottom he links to minecrift. If modders can get it done wtf is he on about? I can only assume he was hoping oculus would pay him to add support or something like that.

On the facebook thing, I'm on the fence. Seems they're committed to making it work for gaming first, then leveraging it to move into social crap. So I guess I would still go ahead with CV1 and hope another manufacturer comes out with one for 2016 onwards, or Sony makes theirs officially PC compatible. Trouble is there is such monumental backlash to the announcement that I'm worried the rift may end up still born.

Would be cool if valve took the same approach to VR as they did with their steam machines. Release a spec and certification program to get hardware manufacturers like asus, gigabyte et al making the HMD's then provide the software/SDK.
wobblysauce

Post by wobblysauce »

Sonys demos were run on PC and PS4.

http://www.roadtovr.com/sony-project-mo ... arly-june/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Road to VR confirmed with Sony that some of the demos were running on PC (Eve Valkyrie and Thief) and some were running on the PS4 dev kit (The Deep, The Castle).

ᕙ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ᕗ vs ლ(ಠ益ಠ)ლ

DarrenM

Post by DarrenM »

If PC isn't officially supported by Sony then game devs will be less likely to spend money adding support for it to their games. It might be an option for hardcore gamers if they can make it work or if it's compatible with the rift sdk, but native support is usually better than hacked in 3rd party support.

Palmers posts are getting downvoted on reddit but they're worth reading
http://www.reddit.com/user/palmerluckey" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
1) We can make custom hardware, not rely on the scraps of the mobile phone industry. That is insanely expensive, think hundreds of millions of dollars. More news soon.
2) We can afford to hire everyone we need, the best people that fit into our culture of excellence in all aspects.
3) We can make huge investments in content. More news soon.
This deal specifically lets us greatly lower the price of the Rift.
We now have the resources to put a lot of money into indie VR content, you will be seeing some good news on that very soon.
We have had a lot of interest in the past, but only from people who would tear us apart and make us work on their own stuff. We have zero interest in doing that, and there is no number that could convince us otherwise.

Facebook is going to give us access to massive resources, but let us operate independently on our own vision. There are so many things we can do that used to be impossible.
Exar Kun
Sensible Mick

Post by Exar Kun »

I totally agree with him. I'm no fan of the big corporation taking control of things but in this instance it's a matter of resources. The software I use everyday wasn't invented by the company that owns it - it was bought out when it was apparent that it was going to be a good thing and now, more than ten years later it's moving to being the market leading software in the field predominantly because it's had massive resources piled into its development.

It's not as if we're going to see friend requests popping up in our virtual FOV so what's the big deal here?
"If we can hit that bull's-eye, the rest of the dominoes will fall like a house of cards. Checkmate!"
Exar Kun
Sensible Mick

Post by Exar Kun »

Just read the actual news - wowzers $2billion in cash and shares! That was a good wicket to get in on.
wobblysauce

Post by wobblysauce »

Top post, 2nd link.
Facebook today announced that it has reached a definitive agreement to acquire Oculus VR, Inc., the leader in immersive virtual reality technology, for a total of approximately $2 billion. This includes $400 million in cash and 23.1 million shares of Facebook common stock (valued at $1.6 billion based on the average closing price of the 20 trading days preceding March 21, 2014 of $69.35 per share). The agreement also provides for an additional $300 million earn-out in cash and stock based on the achievement of certain milestones.
Issues with that they were going to partner with them, then it is bought out.

As for buyouts $2Bill is nothing compared to some of the Apps.

Think the total was around 100mill that Oculus has gotten through Kickstarter/Angels/other investors, so this is a big issue they do not need to worry about for a while.

ᕙ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ᕗ vs ლ(ಠ益ಠ)ლ

Shonky

Post by Shonky »

Fucking awesome, John Carmack can at last make Facebook games!
NeilPearson
Prize Winning ARSE

Post by NeilPearson »

http://games.on.net/2014/03/cliff-blesz ... pouty-kid/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Woodee
Clean as a Whistle
Clean as a Whistle

Post by Woodee »

he is right you know :)

The fuss on reddit about Palmer getting downvoted on whatever he says is just childish.

Just goes to show that many people are so fickle..... hailing Palmer as their hero then they just want to see him burn not long after.
My Fundraising Journey

Raised over £1000 for the Scoliosis Campaign Fund from 2011-2013.
w00dsy
The Senna of Hoppers Crossing

Post by w00dsy »

Shonky wrote:Fucking awesome, John Carmack can at last make Facebook games!

Doomville and Candy Quake.
Sarsippius

Post by Sarsippius »

The world is full of idiots and the hysterics over this buyout is the proof.
wobblysauce

Post by wobblysauce »

Crazy Oculus Game Has One Player Defuse A Bomb While Everyone Else Shouts Instructions

http://techcrunch.com/2014/04/05/crazy- ... tructions/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

[youtube] [/youtube]

[youtube] [/youtube]

ᕙ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ᕗ vs ლ(ಠ益ಠ)ლ

Woodee
Clean as a Whistle
Clean as a Whistle

Post by Woodee »

" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://sulontechnologies.com/cortex/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
My Fundraising Journey

DarrenM

Post by DarrenM »

Holodeck :eek:

The image is projected on the walls, with glasses for 3D.
[youtube] [/youtube]

What it looks like through the glasses.
[youtube] [/youtube]

[youtube] [/youtube]
wobblysauce

Post by wobblysauce »

I remember that and there was the augmented reality sandbox.

Any one played Windlands.. Flying + clinging to things when you hit a target and don't fall you your death.

Quite a bit of fun indeed.

[youtube] [/youtube]

Watching a few videos from Markiplier(Likes Horror games, Real manly Voice, but scares like a baby).

SCARIEST playlist, " onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Like these..
[youtube] [/youtube]

[youtube] [/youtube]

[youtube] [/youtube]

ᕙ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ᕗ vs ლ(ಠ益ಠ)ლ

wobblysauce

Post by wobblysauce »

[youtube] [/youtube]

ᕙ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ᕗ vs ლ(ಠ益ಠ)ლ

Shonky

Post by Shonky »

Living with lag.

[youtube] [/youtube]
Woodee
Clean as a Whistle
Clean as a Whistle

Post by Woodee »

hahahah that's hilarious :D

You know one thing that bothers me about the rift? (This is coming from someone that has not experienced one yet.) I sometimes find I can be sucked into things and nothing else matters at the time. Imagine if there was an experience so enthralling, would I forget how long I was in there? I think I would have to make sure I had a timer on :)
My Fundraising Journey

r8response
Cry baby
Cry baby

Post by r8response »

Riftception. How deep will you go

Sent from my GT-I9506 using Tapatalk
wobblysauce

Post by wobblysauce »

Norway Is Gamifying Warfare By Driving Tanks With Oculus Rift

video
http://www.tu.no/tutv/forsvar/2014/05/0 ... culus-rift" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

news
http://www.tujobs.com/news/238400-see-t ... culus-rift" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://motherboard.vice.com/read/norway ... culus-rift" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

ᕙ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ᕗ vs ლ(ಠ益ಠ)ლ

Duke
Dukester Maldonado
Dukester Maldonado

Post by Duke »

Dukester

norbs diplomacy lesson 101: "If I was putting words in your mouth, you'd know."
wobblysauce

Post by wobblysauce »

[youtube] [/youtube]

ᕙ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ᕗ vs ლ(ಠ益ಠ)ლ