Research on red light running by cyclists

CyclARSEts talk in here.
smithcorp
Occasional Visitor
Occasional Visitor

Research on red light running by cyclists

Post by smithcorp »

Some very recent research on reasons given by cyclists as to why they run red lights. Interesting stuff - a mix of people saying they can't trigger the lights on a bike, to what sound like bullshit excuses. My take - cyclists do it because they think they can without consequences, for the same reasons pedestrians ignore traffic lights, cross 'illegally' etc. I think the summary misses another likely reason - reluctance to stop cycling/unclip, particularly uphill.

http://theconversation.com/seeing-red-w ... ghts-12916" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Link provides a summary, but also has links to the actual research paper.

smith
Last edited by smithcorp on Tue Mar 26, 2013 12:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
richo

Re: Research on red light running by cycling

Post by richo »

As you said a lot of people believe that traffic lights only apply to cars .
[]D [] []v[] []D
Brett_S

Post by Brett_S »

I try not to do it - there's a few lights around my normal route that I will always get at least 1 red, one is next to a parking lot so if there aren't any cars going in or out of the parking lot I might decide to go through, the others are on intersections so I can't go through a red even if I wanted to

I don't get the excuse that the lights don't detect the bike, never worked for me so I figured only cars can activate the strips
I just ride over to the footpath and hit the crossing button if there are no cars to activate the light change

There are options to get around the unclipping on a hill problem - I just bought a set of Speedplay pedals for that reason. The SPD-SL's I have now are a bitch to get into on a hill

I agree, a lot of people do it cos they can - I've seen many people around my area who ride straight through the red without even slowing down
This is the way the world works, if you want want to find some quality friends you have to wade through all the d**ks first - Eric Cartman
smithcorp
Occasional Visitor
Occasional Visitor

Post by smithcorp »

richo wrote:As you said a lot of people believe that traffic lights only apply to cars .
That's a better way of putting than I did.
norbs
fucking right wing vegan lesbian

Re: Research on red light running by cyclists

Post by norbs »

Something something eBike. Something something 2 stroke bike something something.
Sarc ; my second favourite type of gasm.
ysu
Smooth Lubricator.

Post by ysu »

norbs wrote:Something something eBike. Something something 2 stroke bike something something.
that's quite wobbly-like :)
Surprise, no sig. Now there is. Or is there?
richo

Post by richo »

norbs wrote:Something something eBike. Something something 2 stroke bike something something.
We were having a nice conversation thank you Mr Webberhating2strokedisliker :prod: :lol:
[]D [] []v[] []D
smithcorp
Occasional Visitor
Occasional Visitor

Post by smithcorp »

Elitists...
richo

Post by richo »

I think there should be a study commissioned about the link between cyclists and yachties...

:D
[]D [] []v[] []D
CLP
C grade super domestique

Post by CLP »

smithcorp wrote:Some very recent research on reasons given by cyclists as to why they run red lights.
Can't wait for volume 2 that researches the issue of why motorists run red lights :nod:
Exar Kun
Sensible Mick

Post by Exar Kun »

CLP wrote:
smithcorp wrote:Some very recent research on reasons given by cyclists as to why they run red lights.
Can't wait for volume 2 that researches the issue of why motorists run red lights :nod:
Slightly different though. Most motorists who run red lights are trying to beat the lights rather than just proceeding through an intersection that has long been red which is what I gather this survey was about.
"If we can hit that bull's-eye, the rest of the dominoes will fall like a house of cards. Checkmate!"
ysu
Smooth Lubricator.

Post by ysu »

I've only ever run redlights by accident! Or when I wanted to! :D
Surprise, no sig. Now there is. Or is there?
Jamo

Post by Jamo »

I have complete contempt for the majority of laws and road laws are most defintely no exception.
I drink a great deal, I sleep a little and I smoke cigar after cigar. That is why I am in two hundred percent form - Sir Winston Churchill
CLP
C grade super domestique

Post by CLP »

Exar Kun wrote:
CLP wrote:
Slightly different though. Most motorists who run red lights are trying to beat the lights rather than just proceeding through an intersection that has long been red which is what I gather this survey was about.
It's no different at all. Running a red 1 second after it's changed is no better than 10 seconds. There's ample warning given in the the form of an amber light that the lights are changing.

all that said, i don't run reds on my bike. :shake:
petey

Post by petey »

I have often run a red turn arrow just a few corners from my house, perfect vision and often no cars, stupid thing should just bloody go out.

That is to say, I wait and watch - if it's clear I will just drive through it anyway. Fairly sure the coppa's who drive to the station just back down the road do the same thing except u-turn it.

On topic - I commonly watch cyclists who will just slowly keep moving forward through the intersection so they don't have to stop and unclip presumably. The stupid thing with this is, by the time they are a metre or so in you may aswell just er - get on your bike - and go.
If you can leave two black stripes from the exit of one corner to the braking zone of the next, you finally have enough horsepower.