The Intouchables

Chat about stuff you've seen
J.D.
Rat

The Intouchables

Post by J.D. »

The Intouchables (2011) is an uproariously funny, culturally adroit French movie, based on a real story.

Philippe is a fabulously wealthy quadriplegic looking for a helper for his day-to-day tasks and umm...bodily functions.

Driss is fresh out of jail.

Despite the fact that Philippe hires him over a hoard of other candidates, Driss doesn't even understand Philippe's condition (the experiment with the teapot...oh god!). In the initial stages, he does not even want to be there. He's just come in to get a signature so he can claim the dole.

The Driss realises some of the perks of the job and he and Philippe embark on a series of extremely funny adventures, largely built around the dichotomy of a rich Parisian man who depends for everything on a Senegalese migrant with a dodgy past. Philippe introduces Driss to haute coutre with outrageous results. Driss introduces Philippe to weed and tries to get him laid.

In the end, I'm not convinced that some of this wasn't ad libbed. The chemistry between François Cluzet (Philippe) and Omar Sy (Driss) is that of two real friends. Sy is spectacular. He dominates like few can. His size gives him a screen presence anyway but his antics and characterisation are so powerful that you end up wondering who the movie is about.

In the end, it's about boys being boys and we all love that.

Highly recommended.

(In French with subtitles)
Last edited by J.D. on Tue Apr 23, 2013 9:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
сначала мы убиваем американского лося и белку.

"Journalism is printing what someone else does not want printed. Everything else is public relations." - George Orwell.

Proudly never a mod or admin at RSC from 2001 - 2009.
smithcorp
Occasional Visitor
Occasional Visitor

Re: The Intouchables

Post by smithcorp »

Excellent film, agreed. Based, as they say, on a true story.

Sent from my GT-I9300T using Tapatalk 2
durbster
The Whack Wasp Warrior

Post by durbster »

Added to the list. It's called Untouchable on our rental service.
smithcorp
Occasional Visitor
Occasional Visitor

Post by smithcorp »

You will love it Durbs. Bib and I laughed and laughed.

Sent from my GT-I9300T using Tapatalk 2
Johnny X
Clean as a Whistle
Clean as a Whistle

Post by Johnny X »

I'll add to the recommendations :yes:

One of the few films I've enjoyed watching in recent times. Nothing to add to J.D's summary... spot on :yes:

Edit: if you like Intouchables you might also enjoy The Diving Bell and The Butterfly. A similar type of story about Elle editor Jean-Dominique Bauby who suffers a stroke and has to live with an almost totally paralyzed body. http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0401383/?ref_=sr_1" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; Not as humorous as Intouchables but worth a watch all the same if you like human interest stories.
durbster
The Whack Wasp Warrior

Post by durbster »

This finally popped through the letterbox a couple of weeks ago and I watched it last night.

It is absolutely brilliant and has slotted right up there as one of my favourite films :D

The wife fell asleep after about twelve seconds so I might force her to watch it so I can see it again before I send it back.

Thanks for the recommendation. :)