Sydney cyclARSEts, up for a Sat ride?

CyclARSEts talk in here.
Righteous
Master artist
Master artist

Re: Sydney cyclARSEts, up for a Sat ride?

Post by Righteous »

Shit! Hope you are okay Smith. Not what I was expecting to see when I logged on.
norbs
fucking right wing vegan lesbian

Post by norbs »

Gents, a very quick update.

Smiss has a broken right clavicle. They have dosed him up on morphine and he is just waiting to have the neck brace removed and then he might get to go home.

I will let the others explain the crash as I didn't see it happen.

More when I get home in 3 hours.

Sent from a device.
Sarc ; my second favourite type of gasm.
norbs

Post by norbs »

Poor old Smiss after they cut his beautiful woolen jersey off and loaded him up for transportation.

Brett_S

Post by Brett_S »

Great to catch up with Norbs and meet everyone else - started out to be a great day, the weather wasn't looking all that good at the start, but the clouds burnt off and the sun was shining not long after we headed off

We were on our way back after the stop at Maccas and we'd just crested a hill, Smiss was in front as he'd overtaken us all just after the top of the hill - Jamo was slightly behind Smiss and I was about 20 meters back from him

There's a grass covered ditch off to the left of the cycleway and for some reason Smiss just turned left into the ditch and down to the bottom. He gathered himself up and was trying to return to the path but as he got to the lip of the ditch and onto the black stuff the slight rise of the path caught the wheels and sent him off the bike to his right

Not a very good end to the ride but these things happen

Hope you're going well mate and back on the bike soon :)
This is the way the world works, if you want want to find some quality friends you have to wade through all the d**ks first - Eric Cartman
norbs

Post by norbs »

Latest report from Bibi. Smiss is staying in overnight for observation. Fingers crossed he is allowed home tomorrow. I think he is going to be a sore boy for a few days though. It was a big off.
norbs

Post by norbs »

Just watched the video and I was too far away and Smiss is obscured to see what happened.
Bauer

Post by Bauer »

oh Smiss you poor bugger. get well soon. Was expecting to read good stuff in this thread. Not expecting that.

Is that bloke in the photo with the child bearing hips anyone I should know?
--------------
Stu
Crowella

Post by Crowella »

Oh you bastard Bauer :rofl:

Basically what Brett said is what happened. Can't add more really. Hope Smiss gets home soon and recovers well. :)
norbs

Post by norbs »

Bauer wrote:oh Smiss you poor bugger. get well soon. Was expecting to read good stuff in this thread. Not expecting that.

Is that bloke in the photo with the child bearing hips anyone I should know?
I could get a screen grab of another guy who looks like he is ready to bear the child, but I am too proud. :D
Bauer

Post by Bauer »

Crowella wrote:Oh you bastard Bauer :rofl:
:D Figured it was someone from here :yes:
--------------
Stu
norbs

Post by norbs »

And because we know Smiss is going to live....

The guys there today will get that straight away.

For the rest of you. Smiss clearly had concussion. We asked him if he remembered the ride out today. Nope. Could he remember stopping at Maccas? Nope. And about every 2 minutes or so he would blurt out "Sorry boys. Where are we?"

Get well Smiss. :)
CLP
C grade super domestique

Post by CLP »

Oh no.. that's no good to hear :( Was looking forward to reading some ride reports.

Heal quick mate!
DarrenM

Post by DarrenM »

Get well soon, Smiss
Shonky

Post by Shonky »

Damn, poor bugger, get well soon Smiss.
smithcorp
Occasional Visitor
Occasional Visitor

Post by smithcorp »

Top ride blokes. Had a fantastic time and nice to meet the young speedsters. Quite hilly that ride but the pavements are solidly built.

I don't remember much of my off. In particular how i got onto the grass ditch. I can now remember holding it together on the grass and thinking I might actually make it but I couldn't angle enough to cross the lip of the pavement edge so it grabbed my wheel. Unfortunately I can now remember smacking into the path in quite a lot of detail. Not much after that and I have gaps and real difficulty getting events and memories in the right order. I think I was doing 20 to 30.

Thanks to Dave, Stewart and Jorge for looking after me. :smile:

In hospital overnight in cardiac ward. Apparently some arrhythmia. I suspect this is from nothing to eat and drink for 10 hours after doing 30 odd kays with only 300 calories in the guts

Busted collarbone some cracked ribs and head to hip bruising and grazes. Incredibly the first bad stack in all my years of riding.

Finally got the neck collar off and can sit up and eat and drink just minutes ago. Very uncomfortable but Liverpool hospital is a hell hole on a Saturday night.

So some recovery time to come. 6 to 8 weeks it seems and some investigation into the heart and head. Anyone who saw it got any ideas what put me in the grass? Doctors suggest blackout but I don't see how I could have wrestled the bike back towards the path.

Sent from my GT-I9300T using Tapatalk 2
norbs

Post by norbs »

smithcorp wrote:Top ride blokes. Had a fantastic time and nice to meet the young speedsters. Quite hilly that ride but the pavements are solidly built.

I don't remember much of my off. In particular how i got onto the grass ditch. I can now remember holding it together on the grass and thinking I might actually make it but I couldn't angle enough to cross the lip of the pavement edge so it grabbed my wheel. Unfortunately I can now remember smacking into the path in quite a lot of detail. Not much after that and I have gaps and real difficulty getting events and memories in the right order. I think I was doing 20 to 30.

In hospital overnight in cardiac ward. Apparently some arrhythmia. I suspect this is from nothing to eat and drink for 10 hours after doing 30 odd kays with only 300 calories in the guts

Busted collarbone some cracked ribs and head to hip bruising and grazes. Incredibly the first bad stack in all my years of riding.

Finally got the neck collar off and can sit up and eat and drink just minutes ago. Very uncomfortable but Liverpool hospital is a hell hole on a Saturday night.

So some recovery time to come. 6 to 8 weeks it seems and some investigation into the heart and head. Anyone who saw it got any ideas what put me in the grass? Doctors suggest blackout but I don't see how I could have wrestled the bike back towards the path.

Mate, Jamo, Stoney, Adam and I all tried to figure out why you went onto the grass. None of us know. I have looked at the video and you are just too far away to tell what happened. I actually found the video a little distressing when I got to you. You were in a bad way and you can hear that on the video.

My theory for what it is worth. We had just climbed those 3 long hills. It was hard graft. It was hot. On the video you look quite red in the face as I came back to see if you were ok. I probably should have told you to take a spell, but stupidly I said "Keep going Smiss" About 30 seconds later you are on the deck.

I thought you may have glanced over your left shoulder to see where we all were and just ridden off the path. That or you had a brief black out from the exertion on the hills and you snapped out of it when the ride got bumpy all of a sudden.

It looks like your phone survived. I thought that would have been in a few bits in your pocket.

Heal quick mate.
markus

Post by markus »

smithcorp wrote:Top ride blokes. Had a fantastic time and nice to meet the young speedsters. Quite hilly that ride but the pavements are solidly built.

Damn.

Still remember my crash from September... rode the remaining 70k with a broken collarbone and radialbone. Then to x-rays. Forgot to eat, woke up at night to go and have a pee and woke up from the bathroom floor after a blackout - scared the hell out of the missus :D

Here's a good write-up on how it is going to be with the broken collarbone.

Speedy recovery - and congrats, you are now officially a cyclist :D
Much cycling such kilometers.
smithcorp
Occasional Visitor
Occasional Visitor

Post by smithcorp »

norbs wrote:

Mate, Jamo, Stoney, Adam and I all tried to figure out why you went onto the grass. None of us know. I have looked at the video and you are just too far away to tell what happened. I actually found the video a little distressing when I got to you. You were in a bad way and you can hear that on the video.

My theory for what it is worth. We had just climbed those 3 long hills. It was hard graft. It was hot. On the video you look quite red in the face as I came back to see if you were ok. I probably should have told you to take a spell, but stupidly I said "Keep going Smiss" About 30 seconds later you are on the deck.

I thought you may have glanced over your left shoulder to see where we all were and just ridden off the path. That or you had a brief black out from the exertion on the hills and you snapped out of it when the ride got bumpy all of a sudden.

It looks like your phone survived. I thought that would have been in a few bits in your pocket.

Heal quick mate.
Actually i think that might have been it. Farking sore this morning

macca
Founder
Founder

Post by macca »

That no bloody good :( hope it's a speedy recovery Smiss.
I don't know where I'm going but I'm on my way!

http://www.flickr.com/photos/zedmacca/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
matticooper

Post by matticooper »

Not good Smiss. Rest up and I hope you're back on bike soon.
Crowella

Post by Crowella »

avro707c wrote:On the way down the pace wasn't particularly social either. :D not least because I though I'd meet the others half way between their start point and mine at Horseley drive. I ended up riding straight past them and then had to turn around and chase them down.
Yeah, the way down the track was quite fast. Still no idea how I kept up. :faint: At one point we were all sitting at about 60kph going down there. Jamo just flying ahead of us as always. :p

Anwyay, glad to hear from you Smiss. All the best with recovery. :yes:
CLP
C grade super domestique

Post by CLP »

no one seems to be asking the obvious question... how's the bike? ;)

good to hear that recovery (even if only remembering some of what happened) is progressing.
Brett_S

Post by Brett_S »

Couple of snaps I took while Smiss was being attended to

This is the way the world works, if you want want to find some quality friends you have to wade through all the d**ks first - Eric Cartman
r8response
Cry baby
Cry baby

Post by r8response »

Unlucky dude. Rest up and get well.
Crowella

Post by Crowella »

CLP wrote:no one seems to be asking the obvious question... how's the bike? ;)

good to hear that recovery (even if only remembering some of what happened) is progressing.
The hood looked scuffed up and moved a bit but the rest looks okay. Was just a solid hit to the ground, no rolling or anything. I don't think I want to see any of the footage Norbs got, it was a bit worrying at first...