New Consoles

General game chat
kwijibo
Squatting Squirter

Re: New Consoles

Post by kwijibo »

If the Xbox had steam like sales, where we could pick up dirt cheap games, I don't think anyone would give a shit about not being able to resell their games. I don't like having to get up to swap discs, so avoiding that will be a big plus at least.

I'd love it if Nintendo became a third party developer.. their games are usually high quality, but I couldn't bring myself to get a wii or wii u.. there is just nothing else on them.
wobblysauce
Seen it, Done it, Invented it!

Post by wobblysauce »

Kev, EA has done another back flip after the launch of the other consoles.. and a now saying they will be making games for the Wii U now.

But still from E3, no ties into Windows 8 or Windows Phone 8 announced, from Xbone.

lol

[youtube] [/youtube]
Some play it safe on the merry-go-round, others go for the thrills of the roller-coaster.

ᕙ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ᕗ vs ლ(ಠ益ಠ)ლ

I have a joke for you. I have a prediction that you are going to walk into a bar, my prediction was wrong and your wallet is gone.
DarrenM

Post by DarrenM »

[youtube] [/youtube]
petey

Post by petey »

Ahahaha, did enjoy that immensely :yes:
If you can leave two black stripes from the exit of one corner to the braking zone of the next, you finally have enough horsepower.
wobblysauce

Post by wobblysauce »

OH yes the Sony launch, No mention of the Gotse

Some play it safe on the merry-go-round, others go for the thrills of the roller-coaster.

ᕙ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ᕗ vs ლ(ಠ益ಠ)ლ

I have a joke for you. I have a prediction that you are going to walk into a bar, my prediction was wrong and your wallet is gone.
SE1Z

Post by SE1Z »

I'm really keen for a PS4.

I'm also super keen for GTAV...

My plan is to play the shit out of GTAV when it releases in September and grab a PS4 during the Christmas or New Year sales.
Steve
---
r8response
Cry baby
Cry baby

Post by r8response »

PS4

Watch Dogs
Tom Clancy's - The Division
GTA V
ReppohC

Post by ReppohC »

So how the hell does Gaikai work? Streaming render down & inputs up? I can't imagine that working without any serious latency issues, even if the servers were in Australia. Still I guess its better then nothing.

I'll be getting both consoles eventually, exclusives usually sway me both ways, and maybe one day I'll even buy a wii u :) Which one first depends on the exclusives that I want more at launch.

24 hour connection checks don't bother me that much, I can't remember the last time I've been without internet that long other then power outages. Worst case is tethering my phone to do the login? woop de do. Certainly not a deal breaker. And second hand games, well, same thing. The only time I've bought second hand games was to trade them in for another game. It would be interesting if they brought there prices down to reflect the way you buy games, but that's just wishful thinking.
ReppohC

Post by ReppohC »

r8response wrote:PS4

Watch Dogs
GTA V
They are all also ps3 games. With Watch Dogs & The Division also on x360, xbone, ps4, vita, etc.
wobblysauce

Post by wobblysauce »

ReppohC wrote:So how the hell does Gaikai work? Streaming render down & inputs up? I can't imagine that working without any serious latency issues, even if the servers were in Australia. Still I guess its better then nothing.
Gaikai is Sony's Cloud.

In short depending on what you are playing it can stream or DL to your HDD, just like installing a game to your HDD with the 360.

ᕙ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ᕗ vs ლ(ಠ益ಠ)ლ

r8response
Cry baby
Cry baby

Post by r8response »

ReppohC wrote:
r8response wrote:PS4

Watch Dogs
GTA V
They are all also ps3 games. With Watch Dogs & The Division also on x360, xbone, ps4, vita, etc.

Yep, but if I get a PS4 there is little point in buying them twice over
Leweegibo

Post by Leweegibo »

SE1Z wrote:I'm really keen for a PS4.

I'm also super keen for GTAV...

My plan is to play the shit out of GTAV when it releases in September and grab a PS4 during the Christmas or New Year sales.
ditto haha
wobblysauce

Post by wobblysauce »

Also if you get the PS4 version it should have less scaled down art work.

http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?tit ... =560426859" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

To this, the lolz with the new PS3 update.

ᕙ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ᕗ vs ლ(ಠ益ಠ)ლ

Big Kev
Clean as a Whistle
Clean as a Whistle

Post by Big Kev »

Vehicle reversing
http://news.xbox.com/2013/06/update" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
ARSE Biscuits! Driftu Kingu!
My Flickr Stream
wobblysauce

Post by wobblysauce »

Kev, There was a memo/rant the other day about that sort of thing.
An anonymous post from a Microsoft engineer reveals the company's plans and hopes for the Xbox One - in a far better way than Microsoft has been doing so far.MS
TL:DR.

Which that update sums up quite well.

It is still a transitional period, where the customers want be benefits of both new(Streaming, Digital Downloads, etc.) and old tech(Disks, Free sharing, etc.).

Somthing like. Always ask for more then they will like, because you can always back down to your target goal and it makes them feel better-like there won, with something you were going to release with anyway.. If people do not kick up about such things you can take more ground.

ᕙ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ᕗ vs ლ(ಠ益ಠ)ლ

dvestate
Prize Winning ARSE

Post by dvestate »

Nice to see them listen to the feedback, that and the fact Sony were obviously going to target there marketing at those limitations

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2
wobblysauce

Post by wobblysauce »

There was no targeting from Sony, MS just made them look good doing nothing.

It is a fickle market.

http://www.quickmeme.com/meme/3uwz1t/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

lol.. X-box one-80

ᕙ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ᕗ vs ლ(ಠ益ಠ)ლ

dvestate
Prize Winning ARSE

Post by dvestate »

The fact Sony made sure they stated in their E3 session that they would not have all those limitations tells me that they would have used it at some point grab more market share. You would be pretty silly not to try and get people to focus on a limitation of your competitor and grab yourself a bigger slice of the pie....

MMMmmMMMM pie
kwijibo
Squatting Squirter

Post by kwijibo »

Microsoft never really pushed the best feature of their DRM.. that being the family sharing stuff. It sounded great.. as did not having to put a disc in to play! I hope they some how manage to retain some of these features.

I know I can still buy digital versions to not use a disc, but xbox live's store has traditionally been way too expensive to make this an option. They should allow codes to be sold from other retailers like Steam does.
Crowella

Post by Crowella »

kwijibo wrote:.. that being the family sharing stuff. It sounded great.. as did not having to put a disc in to play! I hope they some how manage to retain some of these features.
Precisely.

Sony really putting it into Microsoft over the DRM was actually a far more clever move on Sony's half than you would think. I actually was excited about not having to put in a disc to play as well as the sharing feature. I actually organised to get an XBox with the sharing feature set to a "family" of a few friends so that we only needed to buy certain games each and not be so restricted (where possible to at least save some money). That's gone down the drain now, at least in the short term which isn't great. They haven't just possibly slowed down Microsoft with sales, they've held them back from being first to creating a (potentially) good console game distribution system. :melt:

I frankly couldn't have cared about having to go online every 24 hours for single player games since that's ONE connection in a day which takes a few seconds. Even with my rather instable, always on internet, I'm still safe to say that I will get on to a single player game in no time. That also said, I don't care too much about sharing* physical copies of games (even if that contradicts what I said above, I'm not at a total loss). I've rarely ever traded games physically as such and I never sell off my old games since I realised my errors with getting rid of my SNES/PS1/N64 games which I wish I still was holding on to today.

Also should be reminded that Microsoft are trying to pin this into an entertainment console to win the living room. Microsoft actually had method to their madness and it might have pissed a lot of gamers off but I wonder if that was because of gamers having the fear of change in console gaming. There's something bigger at play here. I know quite a few argue about consoles being sold as entertainment devices but they should be reminded that a similar tactic of a console being something that it's not "revived" the gaming industry in the US in the mid 80's after the video game crash...
http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-Gd_6c2mYWQM/T ... _Buddy.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Well, that was marketed as a toy but a similar analysis can be done here with Microsoft aiming for the home entertainment side of things. If you can use one system to do everything in your living room, that's quite a lot of potential right there for the XBox One. Naturally, this doesn't translate well in overseas markets but in the XBox's main markets, it's a key feature that people will probably use up quite a bit of. This is in the same way as a smart phone. A phone doesn't need a lot of the stuff they provide but it's damn convenient and at least in my case, I use it more than I anticipated.

That all said, I'll likely get both consoles. There are going to be games I want on the Playstation, some I want on the XBox. Which one I will get first, I'm still not too sure. One will have to wait. I'll probably be on the Sony side early on just because I feel they will at least have a line up of games that I want to play from the start.

* The term should really be selling since most people seem to find the issue of getting money back more important rather than sharing a game. I wish gamers would be more honest about that.
Shonky

Post by Shonky »

[youtube] [/youtube]
wobblysauce

Post by wobblysauce »

It is only the Sony made games for the PS4 that are DRM free, it is up to the other company's if they want to add DRM or not. That said the big 2(EA, Ubisoft) are most likely have some form of DRM on there games.

Some still gloss over that part.

ᕙ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ᕗ vs ლ(ಠ益ಠ)ლ

dvestate
Prize Winning ARSE

Post by dvestate »

Realistically we already have DRM for playing online with most games shipping with a code to enable online multiplayer.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2
kwijibo
Squatting Squirter

Post by kwijibo »

Yeah I can't help but feel this is a step backwards for microsoft. They really came out and sold the good points of this terribly to begin with. RIght now they're exactly the same as the PS4, but more expensive and less powerful. And they don't have naughty dog
wobblysauce

Post by wobblysauce »

Here is another thing..

ᕙ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ᕗ vs ლ(ಠ益ಠ)ლ