Family wagon suggestions

Chat about cars, motorbikes and all other transport
smithcorp
Occasional Visitor
Occasional Visitor

Family wagon suggestions

Post by smithcorp »

Having the surprise extra kid in a few months means we need a new car. Tiguan was adequate for two kids (one still in a booster seat for the next year or more) but not enough room for a stroller, plus capsule, booster and another kid across the back.

Passat wagon (staying with the VWs - quite like them) fits the bill in critical dimensions and space, but isn't cheap, but I'm a bit stumped to think of reasonable alternatives that would not be desperately boring to drive.

Eager to hear any ARSEs' experiences with family cars the good and the bad - please.
richo

Re: Family wagon suggestions

Post by richo »

I have had a Toyota Kluger and it was a bloody good car and the seven seater was a godsend when the kids had mates as my kids always have mates over..
[]D [] []v[] []D
Hazelb
Master artist
Master artist

Post by Hazelb »

I'm on my 3rd CX9. Cant speak highly enough of the car or Mazda.

Not cheap to run but nice to drive
Crowella

Post by Crowella »

I'll start with my experience with the Skoda Octavia. If you want to stay with the 5 seater wagon/VW built theme, there's an option (or the bigger Superb if you need). The wagon's have a 580 to 1620L boot capacity, basically a VW Golf underneath and going pretty damn cheap at the moment since the new model will arrive soon. I basically bought it because it was the cheapest car I could get with the most room and the best quality (on par with the VW's). The 15,000km service helps a lot in my case too. The rear space is fine. I normally end up being the shuttle bus for people when we go out and I can fit passengers in every seat no problems. Did I mention the boot is massive? :yes:

Only negative things I can really say about it is rear vision is poor (in the Sedan at least) and I guess it could do with a bigger engine if the low end 1.4L is too little. I don't mind my 1.4L for the good fuel economy but YMMV. The vRS wagon model is probably slightly more expensive than the Passat but I doubt that would be a boring drive.

Other options include something from maybe the Subaru line up or a Mazda 6 perhaps. There's quite a few options but I can't form the best opinion on what I haven't seen. The thing is you might need to get something bigger than a wagon unless you're set on that.

I still get shocked to this day that the Tiguan isn't as big inside as I thought it would be. My girlfriend's mother just traded in her Tiguan for an Amarok since she was struggling to fit her farm/work equipment in the back.
Exar Kun
Sensible Mick

Post by Exar Kun »

Skoda Superb wagon, smiss. Get the diesel 125TDI although the 110 is also available if you want AWD. The Superb has as much back seat leg room as a Caprice and more boot space plus it's really well optioned (self parking, back seat warmers and lots of other toys).

If you're not a badge snob then seriously consider one of the VF Commodore Sportwagons. Will seat three across the back comfortably and would be a reasonably entertaining drive too.
"If we can hit that bull's-eye, the rest of the dominoes will fall like a house of cards. Checkmate!"
ysu
Smooth Lubricator.

Post by ysu »

The Nissan Murano is a great luxury thingo, spacious and got everything, full leather, bose sound... but...
- There's too much reflection from the dash on the windscreen (light cream interior)
- You can't feel the road
- the car feels sluggish to respond to input
it's not a driver's car
oh, and the boot could be bigger tbh.
Surprise, no sig. Now there is. Or is there?
Bauer

Post by Bauer »

get something cheap so you can spend the coin on a vasectomy :up:
--------------
Stu
smithcorp
Occasional Visitor
Occasional Visitor

Post by smithcorp »

ysu wrote:The Nissan Murano is a great luxury thingo, spacious and got everything, full leather, bose sound... but...
- There's too much reflection from the dash on the windscreen (light cream interior)
it's not a driver's car
You're not really selling it, are you, ysu? :)
smithcorp
Occasional Visitor
Occasional Visitor

Post by smithcorp »

Would never have thought of the Skoda, so that is a great suggestions fellows - its on the list. I hadn't seen the bigger wagons around, mainly the Yeti which is tiny.

Will check out the Kluger again - I tested one a few years ago (probably more than 10) for Overdrive and I had a visceral dislike of it. I need to repress that memory and give it a chance.

I had also thought of the Commodore, but nervous of the likelihood of Holden bailing from manufacturing this year (my prediction).

Mazda CX-9 goes on the list, but Crikey, $60K for the AWD!
Hazelb
Master artist
Master artist

Post by Hazelb »

smithcorp wrote:Would never have thought of the Skoda, so that is a great suggestions fellows - its on the list. I hadn't seen the bigger wagons around, mainly the Yeti which is tiny.

Will check out the Kluger again - I tested one a few years ago (probably more than 10) for Overdrive and I had a visceral dislike of it. I need to repress that memory and give it a chance.

I had also thought of the Commodore, but nervous of the likelihood of Holden bailing from manufacturing this year (my prediction).

Mazda CX-9 goes on the list, but Crikey, $60K for the AWD!
Smiss...paid 54 000 euro tasmanian paso dollars for my current one. That's the luxury version. Big car...
ysu
Smooth Lubricator.

Post by ysu »

smithcorp wrote:
ysu wrote:The Nissan Murano is a great luxury thingo, spacious and got everything, full leather, bose sound... but...
it's not a driver's car
You're not really selling it, are you, ysu? :)
That's my honest opinion. I enjoy being in it, just not driving it.
Wife's car anyway. :D
Santaria

Post by Santaria »

Base model Tourag?
Image[url=steam://friends/add/76561197999720352]Image[/url]
smithcorp
Occasional Visitor
Occasional Visitor

Post by smithcorp »

Wife won't have the Toureg (too big) - pity, as i quite like them!
SE1Z

Post by SE1Z »

We have an SV6 Commy wagon. 2011 model.

Only bad thing is the A-Pillar is freaking huge.
Had the car for 6months, and even though I'm used to it - it can still catch you out as it obstructs a fair big of forward vision.
You learn/need to read the road ahead a lot further than in other cars.
Steve
---
ysu
Smooth Lubricator.

Post by ysu »

smithcorp wrote:Wife won't have the Toureg (too big) - pity, as i quite like them!
lol, the next one will say Toerag :D
Crowella

Post by Crowella »

What? No love for the Toorag?

;)
Exar Kun
Sensible Mick

Post by Exar Kun »

smithcorp wrote: I had also thought of the Commodore, but nervous of the likelihood of Holden bailing from manufacturing this year (my prediction).

I doubt the Commodore will stop production before 2015 or '16 regardless of what decisions are made this year. And it'll almost certainly be a top 5 to top 10 seller before it ceases to be made here. More will be in circulation than any Skoda or Tiguan or a lot of other makes at that point and there's a huge dealer network with heaps of support. Resale would be the only issue but the Sportswagons hold up better and a lot of other makes won't be any better. I reckon give one a drive and have a play with all the toys they get now. SV6 is good for an entry but even the Calais is a decent price.

Having said that, if it were me I'd go a Superb V6 which has enough power and AWD. :)
"If we can hit that bull's-eye, the rest of the dominoes will fall like a house of cards. Checkmate!"
smithcorp
Occasional Visitor
Occasional Visitor

Post by smithcorp »

avro707c wrote:Another choice: http://www.ssangyong.com.au/showroom/stavic/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
*Blocks avro, removes number from phone, adds to enemies list, seeks quotes for third party roughing up*

Ssangyong, for all love... :faint:
Crowella

Post by Crowella »

avro707c wrote:VW/Audi at the moment you wouldn't want to touch with the recall fiasco.
I would almost agree with that. I would rather say VW/Audi/Skoda with a DSG box shouldn't be touched for the moment.

The manuals are pretty great though, something they seem to have got right. :yes:
wobblysauce
Seen it, Done it, Invented it!

Post by wobblysauce »

At least you know what you do not want.
Some play it safe on the merry-go-round, others go for the thrills of the roller-coaster.

ᕙ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ᕗ vs ლ(ಠ益ಠ)ლ

I have a joke for you. I have a prediction that you are going to walk into a bar, my prediction was wrong and your wallet is gone.
Dan
Wobbly2.0

Post by Dan »

Grab one of the last HSV E3 R8 Tourers, going cheap ;)
The Todd Norbury appreciation society
Hz-Lab
Magoo
Magoo

Post by Hz-Lab »

Pajero!!! fricken love mine. Big car but doesn't necessarily drive like one. Mate has a Kluger, he raves about that too. It feels a little more lux than the Paj but not as grunty. Both probably too big for your needs though..

In saying that, I have no kids... lol. I just like big fuckoff cars!
Exar Kun
Sensible Mick

Post by Exar Kun »

Dan wrote:Grab one of the last HSV E3 R8 Tourers, going cheap ;)
Hehe I was thinking the same thing this morning after seeing one. The whole VE range is going for at least $10k off and drive-away at that so some great deals to be had.
norbs
fucking right wing vegan lesbian

Post by norbs »

Smiss, white Commodore wagon going cheap. Good on juice. 1 fucking handsome owner. $30,000 ono :D
Sarc ; my second favourite type of gasm.
AstrO
Help Desk Expert

Post by AstrO »

Has anyone seen the new Kia Rondo?