What are your photography cock ups?

ARSE's photographers and arts forum
Big Kev
Clean as a Whistle
Clean as a Whistle

What are your photography cock ups?

Post by Big Kev »

I just spent the day at a wildlife park and at some point, early on, I must have knocked the roll wheel on the top and ended up at F20 for a ton of photos and I never noticed. As a result most are very noisy (ISO 4000+ despite it being a scorchingly sunny day), not very sharp and not worth fiddling with. :(

What's your biggest cock up?
ARSE Biscuits! Driftu Kingu!
My Flickr Stream
DexterPunk
Busted ARSE

Re: What are your photography cock ups?

Post by DexterPunk »

Fucked up about 50 shots while shooting groomsmen around a restored combie. They were unusable. I'd not altered the ISO back down from around 3200/6400 from shooting in doors, it was so bright outside that shots were massively overexposed at 1/8000th which is the maximum the camera could go to on aperture priority. I stupidly didn't even review any of the shots while shooting, nor pay any attention to the metering. No idea what I was thinking... Pressed for time, concentrating on composition and moving people about I think. Just a massive brain fart.

Sent from Han Solo using TK-421's phone.
Hazelb
Master artist
Master artist

Post by Hazelb »

Sent my wife off to the beach with my 450d and no card in it :-) she took he asps of shots...whoops...

Soon made sure I adjusted the settings to ensure no piccies taken without card.....
Speed

Post by Speed »

Big Kev wrote:I just spent the day at a wildlife park and at some point, early on, I must have knocked the roll wheel on the top and ended up at F20 for a ton of photos and I never noticed. As a result most are very noisy (ISO 4000+ despite it being a scorchingly sunny day), not very sharp and not worth fiddling with. :(
Not sure if your camera has a 3 position on/off switch. If it does, once you've made your adjustments, setting it to the middle position in some cameras will prevent you from doing that.

My biggest cock up was only taking three lights to a job that I needed three lights for. I think the fact that they were only a week old made me feel over confident but not taking backups of important things is something that I never do.
I had tested the lights the day before but of course one of them shit itself on the very first shot. I was able to work around it but I felt pretty stupid & unprofessional.
http://500px.com/Warren_Joyce" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Swain OHaw

Post by Swain OHaw »

I've made the ISO one a few times, but usually realised by checking quite quickly (the problem with using Manual is your shutter and aperture settings don't change to wildly extreme values and ISO isn't in the viewfinder so it can be easy to miss), so it was only a couple of shots lost ... and now I generally remember when changing to a new room, setting or area, to check the light.

Loaded my first Medium Format film backwards, so exposed the backing paper ... processed a 35mm film using chemicals someone else prepared (always a mistake) and they had double-diluted the developer so mine was about 1/20th the development it needed.

I can't remember any bigger ones than leaving my tripod on a train ... and not realising for a week.
KNAPPO
Master artist
Master artist

Post by KNAPPO »

Done the iso one before.

Also left my mono pod at a section of the Clipsal 500 track and took off to the next location (2k walk) and when i got there and set up realised I had left it where I was shooting last so had to double time it back... Lucky it was still there against the concrete wall altho it screwed up my schedule. Ive also left a lens cap on the concrete wall of the Senna chicane when dicking about with 3 lens trying some different shots in prep for the next day. Packed my gear up in a hurry to get to the podium and left the cap there. Didnt notice it was gone till I got home and cleaned my gear... When walking past the chicane the next day, whala it was still there. Score!
Life is hard...but, life is harder when you're dumb.
NeilPearson
Prize Winning ARSE

Post by NeilPearson »

bought a camera!
Quincy

Post by Quincy »

lol Neil.

@Dex, it's Kombi, not combie. :rolleyes: ;)

One blue moon ago, while working at a photography shop, I was asked to shoot a local hillbilly wedding (one of my first and last weddings :D )

A few days before the wedding,the father of the bride, came an introduced himself, shook my hand, looked me in the eyes and said "Don't fucxk it up!!".

Low and behold, one of the photos that didn't turn out (fuzzie out of focus etc) was the father walking his daughter down the aisle!!! LOL..... Put me off weddings for life! :aussie:
balls & boobs. . .
DexterPunk
Busted ARSE

Post by DexterPunk »

Quincy wrote:@Dex, it's Kombi, not combie. :rolleyes: ;)
Ooops. Sorry.

Hz-Lab
Magoo
Magoo

Post by Hz-Lab »

Got too close to the money shot and in return got a splodge on my Sensor
J.D.
Rat

Post by J.D. »

Shooting a mate's wedding about 20 years ago. Four rolls of film, one blank...
сначала мы убиваем американского лося и белку.

"Journalism is printing what someone else does not want printed. Everything else is public relations." - George Orwell.

Proudly never a mod or admin at RSC from 2001 - 2009.
Gougoodthing
Call me Nancy

Post by Gougoodthing »

Left my battery in the charger at home when attempting to shoot a footy match
mole2k

Post by mole2k »

I went to the first day of Rally Ireland in 2009 with no CF cards...
Gougoodthing
Call me Nancy

Post by Gougoodthing »

What did you do Mole? At the footy game someone else was driving so I got drunk instead and yelled a lot. Had a great day
mole2k

Post by mole2k »

Gronholm hit the wall on further on down the lough Gill stage and the whole thing was stopped after about 10min so I didn't miss much photography opportunities!
Big Kev
Clean as a Whistle
Clean as a Whistle

Post by Big Kev »

That's a sensible place to take a photo!!!!!! :yikes: :yikes: :fall: :fall:

[youtube] [/youtube]
ARSE Biscuits! Driftu Kingu!
My Flickr Stream
DexterPunk
Busted ARSE

Post by DexterPunk »

lol wtf??

Swain OHaw

Post by Swain OHaw »

Went to photograph a show at the Fringe, had put my battery on charge earlier that afternoon, two minutes before show up, checking the camera over, it's not coming on - realise the battery is still where I left it charging. Quickly invent an emergency excuse to leave and go to our other venue rather than explaining how clever I am ...