Mechanical Keyboards

Computer and electronic gizmo support.
Crowella

Mechanical Keyboards

Post by Crowella »

Does anyone here use one?

I'm in the process of getting a new mouse/keyboard for my computer since I've been not enjoying my wireless setup (damn batteries) as well as not feeling comfortable with my current keyboard for gaming/general use, not to mention it occasionally crapping out on me. At the moment, I'm looking at getting a Ducky DK2108 Zero since it doesn't look too radical/gamer and seems to get pretty good reviews.

I'm not too familiar with things such as Cherry switches or the like. What should I look out for? From what I've read, I'm opting for the Cherry Black option since I feel that I go pretty damn hard on keys and they seem suited to gaming and less prone to accidental key hits but may that be too much of a hindrance in normal use? There isn't any where near by that has keyboards like this to try so I'm stuck to online reviews and opinions. :faint:
w00dsy
The Senna of Hoppers Crossing

Re: Mechanical Keyboards

Post by w00dsy »

you mean like this?

Crowella

Post by Crowella »

Close enough. :rofl:

I mean computer keyboards that use physical mechanical switching over the current dome/capacitive style that's normal in consumer keyboards.
wobblysauce
Seen it, Done it, Invented it!

Post by wobblysauce »

http://www.cherrycorp.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; , are the main and leading Switch type atm, they have all the ranges from typewriter style clicking to silent ones and everything you need between.

Big fan of them, predictable feel, unlike rubbers which change over time and made as cheap as cheap is.

If you want to read more about the differeances of the colour types.
http://www.overclock.net/t/491752/mecha ... st_6009482" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Some play it safe on the merry-go-round, others go for the thrills of the roller-coaster.

ᕙ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ᕗ vs ლ(ಠ益ಠ)ლ

I have a joke for you. I have a prediction that you are going to walk into a bar, my prediction was wrong and your wallet is gone.
Crowella

Post by Crowella »

Thanks Wobbly. That second link has helped in understanding a little bit more about them and it all makes a bit more sense now. Also knowing that the blacks isn't clicky helps a lot with noise, not that noise is a huge issue. Feel and response is what I want.
wobblysauce

Post by wobblysauce »

You can get some keyboards that mix the types also, for say the WASD and function keys.

Some you can get have replaceable key tops, some others replace the lot.

Other style they don't show is the Laptop layout with is scissor lift action, for low profile.

That said, there are some New Keyboards now that are 2mm think if you want that also, non Mechanical though.

Maybe have a look at this, for a general idea.
http://www.overclock.net/t/1369214/reco ... -keyboards" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Some play it safe on the merry-go-round, others go for the thrills of the roller-coaster.

ᕙ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ᕗ vs ლ(ಠ益ಠ)ლ

I have a joke for you. I have a prediction that you are going to walk into a bar, my prediction was wrong and your wallet is gone.
DarrenM

Post by DarrenM »

Model M/buckling spring FTW. Nice to type on and built like a tank. They're a bit noisy though :)

http://www.pckeyboard.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I bought an original IBM one at a computer market about 10 years ago after I got sick of membrane keyboards failing. Still rock solid.
wobblysauce

Post by wobblysauce »

Darren, I still have a old IBM KB from 386, that still works fine, it does sound like a typewriter though.

ᕙ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ᕗ vs ლ(ಠ益ಠ)ლ

Duke
Dukester Maldonado
Dukester Maldonado

Post by Duke »

wobblysauce wrote:Darren, I still have a old IBM KB from 386, that still works fine, it does sound like a typewriter though.
I think the one I have originally came from a 486 or early Pentium, either way it still works flawlessly even after sitting in a dusty shed for years. :yes:
Dukester

norbs diplomacy lesson 101: "If I was putting words in your mouth, you'd know."
Shonky

Post by Shonky »

Bought myself a Corsair K70 about a month ago and now that I'm used to it I love it, uses Cherry red mechs, keys don't have any tactile feedback other than spring pressure but I find I can type on it pretty quickly, missus finds the clickity clack of the keys annoying but I don't mind it.

I think the main reason I went for the K70 over the others since a cherry red switch is a cherry red switch no matter the brand, is it's probably the only keyboard that doesn't look stupid to keep the gamers happy, well the black model anyway, the silver is too out there for my tastes.

norbs
fucking right wing vegan lesbian

Post by norbs »

SHoNKY wrote:Bought myself a Corsair K70 about a month ago and now that I'm used to it I love it, uses Cherry red mechs, keys don't have any tactile feedback other than spring pressure but I find I can type on it pretty quickly, missus finds the clickity clack of the keys annoying but I don't mind it.

I think the main reason I went for the K70 over the others since a cherry red switch is a cherry red switch no matter the brand, is it's probably the only keyboard that doesn't look stupid to keep the gamers happy, well the black model anyway, the silver is too out there for my tastes.

Tactile feedback!!!!! Must have!!!! :D

When I used to sell PC gear I would say my crappy keyboards had tactile feedback and people would ooh and ah. I also sold cases that featured LRF. It was 2 years before someone asked about it. :D
Sarc ; my second favourite type of gasm.
Cutter
Legend in his own lunchtime
Legend in his own lunchtime

Post by Cutter »

Pity we don't still have Doso around.
He used to by 10 keyboards a time at swap meets for $2.00 or something like that.
Then when the nightsoil hit the windmill during a game, he'd have a violent tizzy, smash it to blazes, reach down grab another, plug it in, back to the game...
Cutter ~ Carl Rickard

Shonky

Post by Shonky »

norbs wrote:Tactile feedback!!!!! Must have!!!! :D

When I used to sell PC gear I would say my crappy keyboards had tactile feedback and people would ooh and ah. I also sold cases that featured LRF. It was 2 years before someone asked about it. :D
LOL norbs, I must be lacking something, no tactile feedback, and I'm pretty sure my case doesn't have any LRF, but you would have to explain to me what that is to be 100% certain.
Cutter wrote:Pity we don't still have Doso around.
He used to by 10 keyboards a time at swap meets for $2.00 or something like that.
Then when the nightsoil hit the windmill during a game, he'd have a violent tizzy, smash it to blazes, reach down grab another, plug it in, back to the game...
I used to do something similar, but I didn't smash them, they'd just stop working, but since there was a swap meet every weekend nearby cheap keyboards were always easy to obtain.
NeilPearson
Prize Winning ARSE

Post by NeilPearson »

lol thats awesome.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk 4
Crowella

Post by Crowella »

Well, I ended up biting the bullet and getting the Ducky DK2108 with Cherry Black switches.

It's loud but I don't really care. The typing feels really accurate and I really enjoy the feel of not hammering the keys down when I type quickly. It feels smooth, the buttons are good to touch and it feels sturdy. Might have to try it in some games to see how it goes but just from typing on it, it's a major improvement on my crappy wireless keyboard. :D