My Neighbour Can't Park...

Chat about cars, motorbikes and all other transport
Exar Kun
Sensible Mick

My Neighbour Can't Park...

Post by Exar Kun »

So my next door neighbour in our apartment complex is a nice guy. Ex diplomatic corps from Pakistan. Moved into our units a year or two ago. He has two cars and two parking spots allocated. But he and his wife can't park. They're bloody horrible. So bad that typically they don't bother with their own spots - they drive around the complex looking for an empty space that they can drive straight ahead into - any turning means it's too difficult.

Just recently, however, they took delivery of a new car. Not surprisingly it's a Camry. This means they now have two Camrys. The Atara-R is precious enough that it gets parked downstairs in the underground parking spot. He still can't park, however. So I've decided to document his parking adventures.

As I said earlier, nice enough guy but you'd think if you parked like he does, you'd at least have the consideration to try moving the car so the other neighbour could actually use their spot. Notes on the windscreen haven't worked at all but at least there's a column between his spot and mine which he's obviously deathly afraid of so he hasn't hindered my own parking yet.

Here's when he first got his brand new car. Though he'd try doing some reverse parking like all the rest of us cool people do. Obviously thinks he's backing in an F150 so needs the extra length.

He gave up on that pretty quickly so back onto nose in. Lines? What lines?

Some steady improvement began to show:

Well, at least not getting worse.

Okay, maybe getting worse again.

But wait - SUCCESS! On the line is in right?

But last night back to his old ways.

I'll keep updating this thread with his exploits in the hope that some universal force may take hold and improve both his parking skills (unlikely) and etiquette (half a chance).

Anyone else seen some awesome parking lately?
"If we can hit that bull's-eye, the rest of the dominoes will fall like a house of cards. Checkmate!"
Vilante
Master artist
Master artist

Re: My Neighbour Can't Park...

Post by Vilante »

haha excellent :)

We have some 'visitor' parking in the centre of all of our designated spaces. Everyone uses it really well apart from one woman who parks a foot outside the lines and makes it difficult for about 3 cars to get out of their spots. There's a note on her car every day.
Jiminee

Post by Jiminee »

Had to observe some proof rolling for work in our major shopping centre car park recently and that was interesting! The number of people who simply can not park and/or do not give a crap about anyone else was alarming. It is not a huge issue in a regional town as there is enough space to compensate for the bad eggs but damn a lot of people are self absorbed tossers, and yes its mostly women.
I hate parking a car badly and having the VE SS now I make sure to allow extra room for the bigger size of the bloody thing and to avoid the gutters with the body kit as it certainly fills a car park space but its just another sign of people only caring about themselves I guess.
XLV SPORT
Speed

Post by Speed »

If I get out of my car & I haven't parked properly I get back in and do it again properly, it's not that hard. It's crazy how so many people can get it so wrong and don't give a toss about anyone else.

I sometimes take small enjoyment from parking up against someones drivers side door, (if they have parked badly to that side), so they have to get in the passenger's side.
Edit: only if I'm driving Emjay's car. :)
http://500px.com/Warren_Joyce" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
NeilPearson
Prize Winning ARSE

Post by NeilPearson »

LOL at that edit. I do that to but in my piece of crap

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk 4
Exar Kun
Sensible Mick

Post by Exar Kun »

Today's effort:

My latest thought is that he must have an old school computer game collision box around his car that means if he gets within 1.5m of any object it just stops. Thankfully I've yet to meet him on the road.
"If we can hit that bull's-eye, the rest of the dominoes will fall like a house of cards. Checkmate!"
Crowella

Post by Crowella »

I want to see if he attempts a reverse park again. :)
dvestate
Prize Winning ARSE

Post by dvestate »

all of the wheels are almost in the line

on a side note, anyone with that much crap on the rear shelf must be avoided on the roadways of Australia!
w00dsy
The Senna of Hoppers Crossing

Post by w00dsy »

Some well placed party poppers could be a lot of fun. Paint them yellow and sit them on the lines.
ysu
Smooth Lubricator.

Post by ysu »

good thread :up:

Funny thing; I always found that it's easier to reverse-park into tight spaces. Mirrors are great help ;)
And with a reverse camera - which is almost bog standard nowadays - it's even easy to go millimeters from the object behind.

Maybe hold a session on how to use mirrors and reverse camera, to the dear neighbour (in a helpful way of course) :)
Surprise, no sig. Now there is. Or is there?