New family car - Skoda time

Chat about cars, motorbikes and all other transport
Exar Kun
Sensible Mick

New family car - Skoda time

Post by Exar Kun »

Picked up our new family hauler on Friday in Newcastle and drove it back to Canberra on Sunday.

It's a Skoda Superb V6.

The engine is the V6 out of the R36 Passat, albeit detuned to 191kw. Still a hefty blob of torque all the way through the rev range. Gets up and boogies too with a mid 6s 0-100km/h time. Likes a drink, however - averaged 8L/100km on the way home from Newcastle. Still, that's my fault. We settled on the car as it has ridiculous amounts of space. My stipulation was it still had to be somewhat fun to drive so we ended up with the V6 AWD, flappy paddles and sports suspension. Giselle wanted the beige leather (her responsibility to keep clean :D). An ex-demo turned up in Newcastle for about $20k off the new price so the deal was done.

It's very smooth but still pretty firm given the suspension setup on 18s. Lovely engine though and makes a nice noise with the boot in. It's my first twin clutch paddle car so that takes a little getting used to but being an auto makes it easy. Has lots and lots of toys - the auto parallel parking is pretty bizarre the first couple of times but works surprisingly well. It's actually just a nice check to see if the spot you're driving past is big enough for the car. Has auto everything obviously, cornering headlights, memory for the seats & mirrors and it's just a bloody nice drive. That's before you get to practicalities of having the enormous rear leg room and boot, bag hooks, luggage restraints etc.

Will get some interior shots later on but pretty happy with it so far.
"If we can hit that bull's-eye, the rest of the dominoes will fall like a house of cards. Checkmate!"
Speed

Re: New family car - Skoda time

Post by Speed »

Congrats, looks awesome.

191kw is still plenty of oomph.
http://500px.com/Warren_Joyce" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
wobblysauce
Seen it, Done it, Invented it!

Post by wobblysauce »

What about getting out of the car park?
Some play it safe on the merry-go-round, others go for the thrills of the roller-coaster.

ᕙ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ᕗ vs ლ(ಠ益ಠ)ლ

I have a joke for you. I have a prediction that you are going to walk into a bar, my prediction was wrong and your wallet is gone.
Dan
Wobbly2.0

Post by Dan »

Mate of mine works in the service department for a Skoda dealership here in Melbourne. Apparently this is what is given to Skoda customers lol

The Todd Norbury appreciation society
Exar Kun
Sensible Mick

Post by Exar Kun »

Haha - we didn't get given one of those!

Some more pics:

Decent sized stoppers - 345mm fronts and 310 rears. Vented all round too. Which is necessary really coz she's not too light!

This is the rear leg room with the front seat pushed right back from where I would sit to drive (the driver's seat automatically slides back when you take the key out to give you more room getting in and out)

The luggage restraint stuff slides around on those rails so you can split the space up however you like - there's the rigid silver one and also a seatbelt kind of extendible one that you see on the left. Also adjustable tie down points for a net.

"If we can hit that bull's-eye, the rest of the dominoes will fall like a house of cards. Checkmate!"
Hazelb
Master artist
Master artist

Post by Hazelb »

Noice!
AstrO
Help Desk Expert

Post by AstrO »

Love it!

PS Go the wagons!!! :D
Hz-Lab
Magoo
Magoo

Post by Hz-Lab »

Jeez they look spiffy, always been a fan of the skodas
Exar Kun
Sensible Mick

Post by Exar Kun »

Yay - Euro plates!

Speed

Post by Speed »

That is a classy ride Exar.
http://500px.com/Warren_Joyce" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;