Frame Around Bottom Bracket Damage

CyclARSEts talk in here.
Crowella

Frame Around Bottom Bracket Damage

Post by Crowella »

Uh...

After my ride this morning, I thought it would be a good idea to give the bike a decent clean so I put the bike up ready to be washed when I take a close up of the bottom bracket between the chain rings and see this:
" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

To me, it looks like it's chipped a bit and only just slightly into the carbon.

Naturally I'm a bit concerned to see a bit of damage like this so I was wondering what should my course of action be from here? I'm going to continue to clean the bike to see if there's anything else but this is the only place I've noticed any form of damage.

EDIT: I think from looking at it, the majority of it is just paint chipping but those shiny bits are starting to eat into the carbon.
Last edited by Crowella on Thu Oct 03, 2013 10:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
norbs
fucking right wing vegan lesbian

Re: Bottom Bracket Damage

Post by norbs »

Crowella wrote:Uh...

After my ride this morning, I thought it would be a good idea to give the bike a decent clean so I put the bike up ready to be washed when I take a close up of the bottom bracket between the chain rings and see this:

To me, it looks like it's chipped a bit and only just slightly into the carbon.

Naturally I'm a bit concerned to see a bit of damage like this so I was wondering what should my course of action be from here? I'm going to continue to clean the bike to see if there's anything else but this is the only place I've noticed any form of damage.

EDIT: I think from looking at it, the majority of it is just paint chipping but those shiny bits are starting to eat into the carbon.
It doesn't look real flash, but I am not 100% sure if that is damage to the carbon or just the paint.

It is the frame at the bottom bracket that is damaged from what I can see, not actually the BB itself.
Sarc ; my second favourite type of gasm.
Crowella

Re: Bottom Bracket Damage

Post by Crowella »

Yeah, I meant the frame around the BB, not the BB itself which is fine, the rest of the bike is fine. It seems as if something has caught in there and caused a bit of damage.

I'll take it into my bike shop later when I get a chance just to hear their thoughts on it.
Duke
Dukester Maldonado
Dukester Maldonado

Re: Frame Around Bottom Bracket Damage

Post by Duke »

Looks like you had a dropped chain or 3 & it's scratched / chipped the frame???

This one however looks odd to me, more like something has been continuously rubbing in that spot. " onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

But I tend to agree it all looks superficial than actual cracks but then again if they were an underlying crack it could possibly cause the finish to chip like that.
Dukester

norbs diplomacy lesson 101: "If I was putting words in your mouth, you'd know."
CLP
C grade super domestique

Post by CLP »

the first one looks fairly superficial. I'd probably coat it with some clear nail polish or similar to protect it.

the second one though i'd be careful about. looks like there's threads showing in that one? Given the location on the frame, it's likely that it's more reinforced there,so the likelihood is that the frame material is fairly thick there, so the chance of failure is slim. Could be worth getting a second opinion from a bike shop to give yourself peace of mind.
Crowella

Post by Crowella »

Bike shop has mentioned that it's either that I've damaged it by the chain dropping (which I now remember has happened in the last week) or some metal or rock has likely caught between the chain ring and the frame and whipped around a few times while I've been pedaling. They couldn't spot anything major themselves, said it's mostly cosmetic with only a minor spot showing the carbon but mentioned for the next week or so to keep an eye on it to make sure that nothing gets worse.

Might use that suggestion of using a little bit of clear coat to protect it. :)