Nexus 5

All the talk regarding mobile phones, mobile internet access etc etc.
pixelboy

Re: Nexus 5

Post by pixelboy »

The camera is rubbish but I can forgive that as the rest is awesome..

Yeah I agree about the rom.. I'll be on CM when they get it up and running.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
eek
Shonky

Post by Shonky »

I forgot to ask this last night, has anyone noticed a huge amount of data usage over 3/4G?

Since last Friday to today it's chewed through about 750MB, where typically my entire month is around this value. I did find the Play store is set to auto update any time out of the box which I have since changed to wifi only, but I checked the wifi values and it's only downloaded about 145MB since Friday, which really makes me wonder if it still grabs data from 3/4G even when connected to wifi.

It might be worth keeping an eye on so you don't get any excess usage charges, I've turned off mobile data for the time being so I don't run over my limit which ends in 6 days, at which point I'll turn it back on and keep a closer on the usage until I get a handle on where all the usage is being used.
richo

Post by richo »

Not to derail the thread but I,m looking for a new phone and I'm thinking of the Xperia Z ? Would prefer standard Android to the Sony stuff but I believe it has a good camera and decent battery life?
[]D [] []v[] []D
r8response
Cry baby
Cry baby

Post by r8response »

richo wrote:Not to derail the thread but I,m looking for a new phone and I'm thinking of the Xperia Z ? Would prefer standard Android to the Sony stuff but I believe it has a good camera and decent battery life?
Brother and the old man both have the Xperia Z. Both detest them. The software and all that is fine, it's the actual phone itself. When holding it up to your ear, the raised edging around the phone becomes really, really annoying.

If any of you care for wireless charging for your N5, THIS has been given the thumbs up at OCAU.
dvestate
Prize Winning ARSE

Post by dvestate »

Still waiting for new stock to arrive :(

My case and screen protector should arrive today, and my wireless charger should be here next week so all I'll need then is the actual phone
norbs
fucking right wing vegan lesbian

Post by norbs »

r8response wrote:
richo wrote:Not to derail the thread but I,m looking for a new phone and I'm thinking of the Xperia Z ? Would prefer standard Android to the Sony stuff but I believe it has a good camera and decent battery life?
Brother and the old man both have the Xperia Z. Both detest them. The software and all that is fine, it's the actual phone itself. When holding it up to your ear, the raised edging around the phone becomes really, really annoying.

If any of you care for wireless charging for your N5, THIS has been given the thumbs up at OCAU.
Doesn't bother me in the least. To borrow a Jobs line, "you are holding it wrong" :)

Flinty has 1 too Richo.
Sarc ; my second favourite type of gasm.
w00dsy
The Senna of Hoppers Crossing

Post by w00dsy »

pixelboy wrote:The camera is rubbish but I can forgive that as the rest is awesome..

i was reading that to keep it at the $350 they were aiming for they sacrificed a bit on the camera and speakers, otherwise it could easily end up like the 600-700 phones which wasn't the purpose of the phone. Not many people use their phone to take glamour photos anyway, most are just used to take quick snaps of things they see and then mms'd or uploaded to social media somewhere.
norbs
fucking right wing vegan lesbian

Post by norbs »

w00dsy wrote:
pixelboy wrote:The camera is rubbish but I can forgive that as the rest is awesome..

i was reading that to keep it at the $350 they were aiming for they sacrificed a bit on the camera and speakers, otherwise it could easily end up like the 600-700 phones which wasn't the purpose of the phone. Not many people use their phone to take glamour photos anyway, most are just used to take quick snaps of things they see and then mms'd or uploaded to social media somewhere.

or there is that Nokia 41meg beast. :rolleyes: Why oh why? 41meg in a phone. LOL
Sarc ; my second favourite type of gasm.
Quincy

Post by Quincy »

oh my.

I use my phone for glamour, therefor, 41meg is just fine. In fact, I love the Nokia 808.
It's a camera, (one of the best) that makes phone calls!! Bonus!

Sorry to add to the derailment of this thread. :)
balls & boobs. . .
richo

Post by richo »

I don't own or know how to use a camera thats why I would like a decent one on my phone and as I always have my phone on me .
[]D [] []v[] []D
SE1Z

Post by SE1Z »

Surely it's a better camera than in the Nexus4?
Steve
---
pixelboy

Post by pixelboy »

Shonky wrote:I forgot to ask this last night, has anyone noticed a huge amount of data usage over 3/4G?
I haven't noticed anything unusual.. I'm a pretty heavy data user chewing through about 3-4gb per month..
eek
plastik8

Post by plastik8 »

Shonky wrote:I forgot to ask this last night, has anyone noticed a huge amount of data usage over 3/4G?
Android 4.x has a pretty good per-app data usage tracking section iirc? (I have an iPhone). You should be able to determine what's the culprit. It also has a historical view of data usage, so you could work out when the high usage occurred. But don't think that part is per-app.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Image[url=steam://friends/add/76561197971333750]Image[/url]
Shonky

Post by Shonky »

Looks like most of the usage was the first day when the phone did a restore, but look at the background data, play store loves to keep busy when the phone is idle apparently.

Sent from my Nexus 5
pixelboy

Post by pixelboy »

Mine is not as bad as that.. do you have tons of apps? I have 4 pages in the apps section..
Screenshot_2013-11-15-08-44-09.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
eek
Shonky

Post by Shonky »

I don't think have too many apps, and most of them are paid for so it shouldn't be advertising which should only be active in the foreground anyway, 4 pages plus 2 links on the 5th page (27 apps not including the Google supplied apps).
pixelboy

Post by pixelboy »

No its more about checking for updates to the apps, thats what Play store would be doing.. Are you regularly on WiFI or 3G most of the day?
eek
Shonky

Post by Shonky »

On 3G during the day at work, on wifi at home, I've disabled auto updating entirely on the play store now and I'll check manually for a while when on wifi and see how that goes, looking at the graph usage has slowed considerably anyway, most of the usage was in the first couple of days, where the phone straight after booting downloaded a 140mb firmware update, and then restored all the apps that were installed on my GS2 (including all the samsung garbage) before I noticed what it was up to.
dvestate
Prize Winning ARSE

Post by dvestate »

I have my wireless chargers for home and work, case, screen protector but no phone :(
Shonky

Post by Shonky »

Bummer mate. :(

Did the change of locale to en-AU last night, not being able to use the "$" on the keyboard was driving me batty, was a simple enough change, the hardest part was getting ADB installed and able to connect to the phone, java path fixed sorted ADB and uninstalling the Samsung GS2 USB driver and installing the Google USB driver sorted the connection between ADB and the phone, long story short I can now price things in "$". :D
NeilPearson
Prize Winning ARSE

Post by NeilPearson »

lol!
pixelboy

Post by pixelboy »

Why do you need ADB to change locale?
eek
Shonky

Post by Shonky »

Google don't enable access to en-AU by default on the phone, go in and try to set the language, you will find it's not there, check out the link below to see what's needed to make it happen.

http://ausdroid.net/howto/make-your-nex ... ustralian/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
pixelboy

Post by pixelboy »

Right, I see... Classic.. Well done Google!
eek
Shonky

Post by Shonky »

It probably wouldn't normally be a problem but it stuck out like a sore thumb for me because on the GS2 I've been using Australian English for the last 2 years, and when Swiftkey didn't do what I expected.....well you get the idea.