Nexus 5

All the talk regarding mobile phones, mobile internet access etc etc.
Brett_S

Re: Nexus 5

Post by Brett_S »

Woo! got mine just as I was about to leave for work yesterday

Much better than the S3 - quicker, slicker and better screen. Just have to get used to the back button being on the left rather than the right.

Just need a cover now - I dropped it already, luckily it was on the carpet :eyepop:
This is the way the world works, if you want want to find some quality friends you have to wade through all the d**ks first - Eric Cartman
Shonky

Post by Shonky »

Excellent, Fedex tells me mine is on a vehicle for delivery, hope they make it today, will be spewing if I have to wait the weekend. :)
SE1Z

Post by SE1Z »

Brett_S wrote:Just have to get used to the back button being on the left rather than the right.

It makes sense having it on the left...

I hate using other Android phones with the back button on the right - it's counter intuitive!
Steve
---
KNAPPO
Master artist
Master artist

Post by KNAPPO »

SE1Z wrote:
Brett_S wrote:Just have to get used to the back button being on the left rather than the right.

It makes sense having it on the left...

I hate using other Android phones with the back button on the right - it's counter intuitive!
Yep, drives me crazy going from my Nexus 7 to the S4...
Life is hard...but, life is harder when you're dumb.
w00dsy
The Senna of Hoppers Crossing

Post by w00dsy »

I went from Samsung to HTC and the change from right to left back buttons took about a day to get used to.
KNAPPO
Master artist
Master artist

Post by KNAPPO »

I have gotten use to it but when I swap devices regularly at night or on a weekend it still catches me out at times.

Its just one of those silly user experience things that should be standardised by now.
Life is hard...but, life is harder when you're dumb.
norbs
fucking right wing vegan lesbian

Post by norbs »

It is the little things.

I doubt I will ever have a phone with out a notification LED.

I didn't even know they existed until I got the Xperia Z. With LightFlow, it makes a huge difference.
Sarc ; my second favourite type of gasm.
nutty
Spam King
Spam King

Post by nutty »

Got mine today, love it other then the new launcher.. I was happy swiping up for google now.. now I cant place any widgets on a left screen.. I had a good setup (work stuff swipe right, personal stuff swipe left)

now i have to swipe right twice :(
Shonky

Post by Shonky »

Got mine today too, can't do much with it at work unless I get the sim transferred to the blank I picked up the other day as there is no wifi, and it refuses to do anything without a signal of some sort, but it's a pretty good looking paper weight right now.

Sent from my GT-I9100
NeilPearson
Prize Winning ARSE

Post by NeilPearson »

Put your current phone into hotspot mode!!

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk
Shonky

Post by Shonky »

Cheers for the tip Neil, I feel stupid for not thinking of that myself lol.
w00dsy

Post by w00dsy »

i hate watching these tests

[youtube] [/youtube]
Shonky

Post by Shonky »

Lol, finally get it online, first thing it does after signing into Google is want to download a 139.7mb firmware update that took a scary amount of time to install, almost thought it was going to be a brick from the get go. :rofl:

Once that was out of the way, initial impressions are it feels great, so much snappier than the GS2 in doing things, as per usual it will take some time to get setup the way I like, already nuked the stock launcher and gone back to Nova, the only annoyance so far would be the usb socket being upside down, which clown thought that was a good idea?
pixelboy

Post by pixelboy »

nutty wrote:Got mine today, love it other then the new launcher.. I was happy swiping up for google now.. now I cant place any widgets on a left screen.. I had a good setup (work stuff swipe right, personal stuff swipe left)

now i have to swipe right twice :(
Bin the launcher and install Nova! :nod:

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
eek
w00dsy

Post by w00dsy »

Nova is going to do an update at some point that will make it more like the Kit Kat launcher. " onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

i've been using Nova with a similar app draw button for a little while now.

hard to see pic -------->Image<---------------
pixelboy

Post by pixelboy »

The camera is shit.. :-(

eek
nutty
Spam King
Spam King

Post by nutty »

Really? its a huge upgrade on the 4 I felt like..
Shonky

Post by Shonky »

Camera seems ok to me so far, but I've only taken a couple of pics, I'd say it's comparable to my GS2 camera based on what I've seen.
Montey

Post by Montey »

Shonky wrote:Got mine today too, can't do much with it at work unless I get the sim transferred to the blank I picked up the other day as there is no wifi, and it refuses to do anything without a signal of some sort, but it's a pretty good looking paper weight right now.

Sent from my GT-I9100
I didn't have to wait for some WiFi access, but I too am waiting for Telstra to complete a SIM card transfer.
- When trouble arises and things look bad, there is always one individual who perceives a solution and is willing to take command. Very often, that individual is crazy.
- If youre paddling upstream in a canoe and a wheel falls off, how many pancakes fit in a doghouse? None! Icecream doesn't have bones!!!
Shonky

Post by Shonky »

Hopefully yours is a bit quicker than my transfer, after 25 minutes on the phone, she gave up in the end and said it's in the queue and the change will happen when it happens, which in my case was about 3 hours later, the girl I was speaking to gave me the impression that the changeover happens while you wait on the line.
Montey

Post by Montey »

Shonky wrote:Hopefully yours is a bit quicker than my transfer, after 25 minutes on the phone, she gave up in the end and said it's in the queue and the change will happen when it happens, which in my case was about 3 hours later, the girl I was speaking to gave me the impression that the changeover happens while you wait on the line.
Yeah, nah.

I have this being done by my Telstra business account manager, but its now 7 hours after I said I was ready and it is yet to switch over.
- When trouble arises and things look bad, there is always one individual who perceives a solution and is willing to take command. Very often, that individual is crazy.
- If youre paddling upstream in a canoe and a wheel falls off, how many pancakes fit in a doghouse? None! Icecream doesn't have bones!!!
pixelboy

Post by pixelboy »

I didn't bother to get a Sim transfer,I just took the scissors to my regular Sim and it works fine. :)

eek
w00dsy

Post by w00dsy »

they have a magnetic around the lense so you can use addon lenses. Pretty cool.

pixelboy

Post by pixelboy »

Well.. What's the verdict lads? Anyone else enabled the battery number hack?

eek
Shonky

Post by Shonky »

Thus far I reckon it's great, so much grunt I just don't see any slow downs, the screen is brilliant, took a little to get used to the washed out look you get coming from an amoled screen where blacks are actually black, but I don't notice it now, colours are excellent, and the battery for me is fine, I guess I'm not that heavy a user since at the end of the day I still have around 50% battery left.

If I had to be picky, I think the camera is average at best, I think the 8mp shooter in my GS2 did a better job than this, and the speaker is not loud enough, I struggle to hear it ring when at work.

I haven't done the battery mod, knowing exactly what percentage the battery is at is of little interest to me, this may be because I don't run out in my normal day.

I think I'll be looking to a 3rd party rom at some point just because it feels a little too sanitised for me, not enough things to tweak and having so many moves to get into the settings is a pain in the arse, I miss my toggles at the top of the notification bar.