Nexus 5

All the talk regarding mobile phones, mobile internet access etc etc.
pixelboy

Re: Nexus 5

Post by pixelboy »

Yeah right.. I've got us English and SwiftKey set to AU..
eek
Shonky

Post by Shonky »

That's what I had as well but it made no difference, Swiftkey on AU still kept giving me £ instead of $ but all good now.
Santaria

Post by Santaria »

Thinking of upgrading my Galaxy Nexus up to this, but will need to do a Telstra bundle because of the business etc. Is everyone liking the phone? The Mrs has had enough of her iPhone 4 and the new OS was the straw on the camels back. Will grab 2 if you guys are happy with it. Has anyone compared it between the S4?

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus
Image[url=steam://friends/add/76561197999720352]Image[/url]
Shonky

Post by Shonky »

I'm happy with mine San, can't comment on the S4 comparison, never seen one let alone played with one.

Forgot to add this, my 1st experience with 4G and good signal.
Shonky

Post by Shonky »

Was out for a ride earlier and coming home with the sun low in the sky I thought I'd try out this HDR function of the camera. Not too bad a result I guess, pretty sure I couldn't do this in one shot with my SLR.

dvestate
Prize Winning ARSE

Post by dvestate »

Finally got my Shipping Info at 11:30pm last night...... should be at home waiting for me Monday arvo :)

Now to make sure the Mrs stays home all day
dvestate
Prize Winning ARSE

Post by dvestate »

Well I have my Nexus 5, loving the speed of the thing compared to the S2, but anything would be faster than that.

Hated that it installed all the apps I ever had when I turned it on, I let it do its thing then had to root it for Titanium Backup so install stuff again, this time auto update off!

OK Google is ok but would be good to do from a locked screen.

Also the battery seemed super low when I got to work and it was charging overnight..... Had BT connected on the way to work but will see if the same result happens tomorrow.

Happy I bought it so far :)

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
pixelboy

Post by pixelboy »

4.4.1 is on its way boy's! Sounds like the camera will get fixed!

http://mobile.theverge.com/2013/12/5/51 ... ves-camera" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
eek
Shonky

Post by Shonky »

If it's as good as the hype in that Verge piece I'll be happy.

Sent from my Nexus 5
pixelboy

Post by pixelboy »

Update is out.. http://ausdroid.net/2013/12/06/android- ... -available" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
eek
pixelboy

Post by pixelboy »

Camera is better.. Not massively.. But better.. Phone feels even more responsive.. If that's possible :-D
eek
Shonky

Post by Shonky »

Mine still shows no signs of wanting to update, I wonder if changing the locale is causing there to be no update available.
nutty
Spam King
Spam King

Post by nutty »

I did the sideload, camera is a little better and they fixed that bloody exchange bug, so overall im hapyp
Pinger$

Post by Pinger$ »

Audio review... http://www.anandtech.com/show/7567/smar ... ty-testing" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Luigi only likes Ferraris.
Shonky

Post by Shonky »

nutty wrote:I did the sideload, camera is a little better and they fixed that bloody exchange bug, so overall im hapyp
Ahh yeah, I did consider sideloading but since there's no pressing need for me to update, I'll just wait until the OTA update is available.
Shonky

Post by Shonky »

Pinger$ wrote:Audio review... http://www.anandtech.com/show/7567/smar ... ty-testing" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Interesting read Pingers, thanks for the link, can't say I've heard the distortion that they are seeing when using the Nexus 5 into a line input on a stereo which I assume is a 1K ohm input which doesn't load the output anywhere near as much as a set of headphones. Anandtech did mention a little bit about driving different loads at the start of the article but didn't go into any real detail and the iPhone earbuds they used according to Apple are only 23 ohms which strikes me as low for headphones, hopefully they will do some more tests with different sets of cans to see if the amp gets better with different loads.

I also came across this while looking for more info regarding your article and as per standard ARSE off topic policy I'll add this info here, I can confirm the difference between my old S2 and the Nexus 5 connected to the same stereo system at work is like chalk and cheese as far as battery use goes, the S2 would chew through 50+% of it's battery playing for a couple of hours, the Nexus played for about 6 hours last week and used about 20% battery.

http://www.androidpolice.com/2013/10/31 ... ing-audio/
Pinger$

Post by Pinger$ »

Shonky, I'm assuming they're testing sustained load with a sine wave... which is always going to be the most taxing load (to my knowledge). Perhaps under normal listening conditions (music) where the max load exists for fractions of seconds, the distortion isn't nearly as much of an issue. This is just a guess given my total lack of electrical/audio engineer background :P
Luigi only likes Ferraris.
Santaria

Post by Santaria »

Had mine delivered yesterday. So far so good! Call and cheese over my Galaxy Nexus. I find my little finger covers the speaker when I hold it in portrait, but I'll work that out. Amazing battery compared to the Galaxy. Screen is brilliant, speaker could be better though and was confused at the double grill at the bottom thinking it might have been stereo. See how battery goes for a full day today. Going to stick with stock ROM as there wasn't any Telstra bloat and trying to stick with the stock launcher, but chances are I'll change to Apex at some stage but in order to do that, I'll lose the transparent top bar which I like a lot. Overall, I'm happy with my purchase so far :-)

pixelboy

Post by pixelboy »

Nova Launcher has transparency and tons of features over stock!
eek
nutty
Spam King
Spam King

Post by nutty »

I got 4.4.2 this morning, cant see any difference
Santaria

Post by Santaria »

I'm trying to decide whether I root and load CWM for the nerd factor, or just leave it. I haven't played with ROMs and stuff for quite a while and this phone... actually feels like I don't need to fuck around with it if you know what I mean. Anyone else is running custom ROMs or anything?

I also changed the run time form Dalvik to ART because apparently it gives better battery and a bit more noticeable speed. Mrs has the exact same phone and is leaving it in Dalvik, so we'll see side-by-side which one is different. Only thing is some apps don't work. Strava went a bit funny and I haven't been able to re-install it without errors.
pixelboy

Post by pixelboy »

Unlock it immediately as it wipes.. I have the stock rom but am rooted and have clockwork recovery. It enables you to flash some mods..
eek
Shonky

Post by Shonky »

Unlocking it wipes? Aww shit, that will slow the urge to root and stick on a recovery, I'm pretty settled into the stock rom now with Nova launcher and don't really want for much.
Santaria

Post by Santaria »

Shonky wrote:Unlocking it wipes? Aww shit, that will slow the urge to root and stick on a recovery, I'm pretty settled into the stock rom now with Nova launcher and don't really want for much.
That's kinda where I am. It's the first phone where it just.... Works. No need to tweak just yet. I had to revert back to the Dalvik run time due to strava not working. Also did a fresh wipe to start again after halfway unlocking it and going: "Nah, I'll be ok without it." I might give Nova a crack today too. Loving the phone. Hangouts can go blow itself. It feels so clunky!

pixelboy

Post by pixelboy »

Yeah they haven't got the sms integration right with hangouts but I'm sure it will get there.
eek