Nikon D5200 DSLR question, anyone used one?

ARSE's photographers and arts forum
Dr. Pain

Nikon D5200 DSLR question, anyone used one?

Post by Dr. Pain »

I'm looking to join this photography caper in particular astronomical photography, in time. So I'm looking at a Nikon D5200 and it will be my first DSLR. Not my first time using one but been a long time since I have used one. About 10 years.

Does anyone own a Nikon D5200 or can put in a good word for a similar product range from say Canon?

I'm looking at the Nikon as it's got a swivel LCD which is going to be damn handy when attached to a telescope.

As I said it will be my first DSLR. I don't want to go over $1000 but I do want good image quality because in time it will be hanging off the back of 102mm telescope. I don't want to go nuts and spend thousands on stuff. I am trying to stick to a $1500 budget. The telescope I want is under $500.
Minister for Religious Genocide.
Dr. Pain

Re: Nikon D5200 DSLR question, anyone used one?

Post by Dr. Pain »

I'm about to find out what this is like as I bought one this morning. It's going to be fun. :)
norbs
fucking right wing vegan lesbian

Post by norbs »

Dr. Pain wrote:I'm about to find out what this is like as I bought one this morning. It's going to be fun. :)
Well done mate. I know nothing about Nikon so couldn't offer any real advice.

I am interested in how you go with the telescope stuff. I have been wondering about it myself.
Sarc ; my second favourite type of gasm.
Dr. Pain

Post by Dr. Pain »

I'll post about it when I get that far. Being a novice on both I have more questions than answers but I know I can attach the camera to the scope. Which is a start. I'll have something like this.

norbs
fucking right wing vegan lesbian

Post by norbs »

Dr. Pain wrote:I'll post about it when I get that far. Being a novice on both I have more questions than answers but I know I can attach the camera to the scope. Which is a start. I'll have something like this.

It looks like the telescope I was advised to get as a starter. Got a link to it?
Sarc ; my second favourite type of gasm.
Dr. Pain

Post by Dr. Pain »

http://www.myastroshop.com.au/products/ ... d=MAS-042G" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

It's not the same scope in the pic above. Not sure what that version is but I'm looking at getting one of these to start with.
DexterPunk
Busted ARSE

Post by DexterPunk »

Very cool! It's something I've wanted to do for a long time.

Sent from Han Solo using TK-421's phone.
Dr. Pain

Post by Dr. Pain »

It's nice and dark in the backyard here. There's not a lot of light pollution in Benalla so should get some interesting shots.

I took a pic of one of the cats here in the backyard. Just turned it on and snapped in auto mode and it turned out good I think. Also was messing about with it's low light settings before but I need a tripod as things were a bit blurry. It will keep me happy for a while. :)

Dr. Pain

Post by Dr. Pain »

Got the dog using the pet portrait pre set. I tried last night to snap Venus with the 18-55 mm lens in night landscape pre set. It picked up on the reflection of Venus and auto focused but I couldn't keep it steady without a tripod. I'm really happy with this camera. I'm sure in time I might want something better but it's always going to make for a good point and shoot and I only paid $800 for it. :)