Streaming Media Players

Computer and electronic gizmo support.
KNAPPO
Master artist
Master artist

Streaming Media Players

Post by KNAPPO »

Howdy Brains Trust.

Im looking at replacing my WD TV Live streaming unit for a few reasons. The unit is in perfect working order and is used heavily as a streaming player for the NAS but my wife uses the catch up tv services a lot these days (was never purchased for this use, just for the NAS) im finding the WD TV Live box falls short big time as you cannot add apps to the box. The only useful service on it for us is ABC iView.

We have a Samsung smart tv in our front lounge room which has ABC iView, SBS on Demand and Channel 7's service which my wife loves but im struggling to find a streaming box that has a lot of the Aussie catchup TV services. I purchased a Chromecast for the dumb TV and it is fantastic as what its designed for but also falls short as a all round media player so I really need a new box to attach to the dumb TV.

I have been looking at the Roku 3 streaming box which seems to get some very good reviews but I have a feeling its a US based box going by the channel offerings that have disclaimers as (Participating TV provider subscription required. Geographical, device and other restrictions apply). I cant find any Aussie service provider on their listings. http://www.roku.com/channels/#!browse/m ... by-popular" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Life is hard...but, life is harder when you're dumb.
w00dsy
The Senna of Hoppers Crossing

Re: Streaming Media Players

Post by w00dsy »

Until the latest firmware update I hated my WD Live, but now it works really well. I now use it for Netflix, iView and streaming stuff from our NAS. But i'd like something that does a little more, like you said apps can't be added. Did you look at Apple TV? I assume you'd be able to add apps to that but I haven't looked at it enough. I'll keep an eye on this thread to see what options are out there.
wobblysauce
Seen it, Done it, Invented it!

Post by wobblysauce »

So over all something like this.. http://www.igg.me/at/airtame" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Most of the catch up services are viewed from the browser/web-page via streaming no? I only use SBS and iView on occasion.

So what you are after is a Miracast/Android device, like smithcorp and myself maybe a few others use..

viewtopic.php?f=41&t=18027" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
viewtopic.php?f=41&t=17829" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

/ ps3 talk

viewtopic.php?f=41&t=17829" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Unless you want to have a HTPC and do it that way also.
http://www.arseforums.com/phpBB/viewtop ... 41&t=18723" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Or you could do something with Airserver if you are a Mac'r

I put myself down for an Airtame also(Linux based more powerful Miracast), still a few days left of the Backings. .

There is Aries Pro by Nyrius if you want to move away from cords on a similar level.
[youtube] [/youtube]
Some play it safe on the merry-go-round, others go for the thrills of the roller-coaster.

ᕙ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ᕗ vs ლ(ಠ益ಠ)ლ

I have a joke for you. I have a prediction that you are going to walk into a bar, my prediction was wrong and your wallet is gone.
pixelboy

Post by pixelboy »

I love my chromecast but yes it's limited..

IMHO you really need a HTPC to do this properly.
eek
richo

Post by richo »

Does the chromecast work well ? I'm interested in how well it would work for streaming motorsport .or is it just for throwing up YouTube etc on to the tv

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk
[]D [] []v[] []D
w00dsy

Post by w00dsy »

Will chromecast stream the F1 streams from the pc onto the tv?
wobblysauce

Post by wobblysauce »

Anything you can do in a Chrome browser.

You could do more with it, before they patched the dongle.
Some play it safe on the merry-go-round, others go for the thrills of the roller-coaster.

ᕙ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ᕗ vs ლ(ಠ益ಠ)ლ

I have a joke for you. I have a prediction that you are going to walk into a bar, my prediction was wrong and your wallet is gone.
KNAPPO
Master artist
Master artist

Post by KNAPPO »

w00dsy wrote:Will chromecast stream the F1 streams from the pc onto the tv?

Yep, and its one of the main reasons i got it.
You can stream any chrome tab to the Chromecast, and when you full screen the video stream it still works and in full screen on the TV. Did a few tests in the holidays of some Justin TV & thelp2008.com content and it worked fine.

I use to have a PC within 10 meters from my TV so i just ran a HDMI out to the tv and swapped screens. Now the computers are at the other end of our new house I wanted a simple way to watch F1 streams on the TV again and get some YouTube & Play Store content going on the big screen.

There are a few apps on the Play Store that let you stream content from your phone or tablet to the Chromecast but it can be a little laggy depending what data is flying about the home at the time.
wobblysauce

Post by wobblysauce »

If you want to just wireless HDMI connect to your PC have a look at Aries Pro by Nyrius.

ᕙ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ᕗ vs ლ(ಠ益ಠ)ლ

Gizmo
forum fairy - in a gay way!
forum fairy - in a gay way!

Post by Gizmo »

Sounds like you need a HTPC Knappo. Check out XBMC, you can steam content to any device over HTTP. Then you can have all the apps you want :P
J.D.
Rat

Post by J.D. »

http://www.ausgamers.com/features/read/2810841" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
сначала мы убиваем американского лося и белку.

"Journalism is printing what someone else does not want printed. Everything else is public relations." - George Orwell.

Proudly never a mod or admin at RSC from 2001 - 2009.
KNAPPO
Master artist
Master artist

Post by KNAPPO »

Awesome, thanks J.D.

I just received a healthy bonus. Even tho its to build a new desktop/gaming machine for my sim rig this is still very tempting.
norbs
fucking right wing vegan lesbian

Post by norbs »

That one that JD posted works great for me. For thousands of hours.
Sarc ; my second favourite type of gasm.
J.D.
Rat

Post by J.D. »

Newer version like OpenELEC run even leaner than what I have and are probably even easier to install.

The best news is probably the emergence of the Raspberry Pi:

http://lifehacker.com/5929913/build-a-x ... rry-pi/all" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://lifehacker.com/5900626/create-a- ... -guide/all" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

This is a dirt-cheap solution to media streaming but needs a bit of customising.

But the RPi is so cheap, few people are likely to have many complaints.
сначала мы убиваем американского лося и белку.

"Journalism is printing what someone else does not want printed. Everything else is public relations." - George Orwell.

Proudly never a mod or admin at RSC from 2001 - 2009.
w00dsy

Post by w00dsy »

i got a Chromecast today, love it. I've currently got GP3 qual streaming from http://squirrelstreams.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; before Practice 3. Yay.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
wobblysauce

Post by wobblysauce »

With the price of the Chromecast now($49) it is not a bad device.
http://www.google.com.au/intl/en_au/chr ... vAodZ7AAYw" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Though a new competitor could be around the corner.
http://au.ign.com/articles/2014/06/20/m ... competitor" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
MOZILLA REPORTEDLY CREATING A CHROMECAST COMPETITOR
Share. A Firefox OS-powered streaming stick may be coming soon.

ᕙ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ᕗ vs ლ(ಠ益ಠ)ლ

SE1Z

Post by SE1Z »

Considered the now discontinued, but still awesome, boxee box?

I grabbed one on sale a few months back and much prefer it over my WDTV.
Steve
---
KNAPPO
Master artist
Master artist

Post by KNAPPO »

I have 2 Chromecast's running in the house now. More than happy for what im needing them for.

The kids love it when I record them playing n clowning about and instantly put the video onto the TV for them to watch back.
Super handy as I dont have to dick about with the file. Streams from the phone straight onto the TV. :bigthumb:
wobblysauce

Post by wobblysauce »

For ease of use.. the Chromecast is great.

ᕙ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ᕗ vs ლ(ಠ益ಠ)ლ

Hazelb
Master artist
Master artist

Post by Hazelb »

Can you stream movies direct from a tablet with it? Movies means TV shows etc...acquired from torrent airways...?
w00dsy

Post by w00dsy »

Yep
Hazelb
Master artist
Master artist

Post by Hazelb »

w00dsy wrote:Yep
:)
pixelboy

Post by pixelboy »

I just got the new raspberry pi and put Xbmc on it..

It's fkn amazing what this little thing does.. All controlled by the Android app... Plays most things and has catch up tv plugins etc..

Total outlay.. $51 (including a little case and a recycled micro-sd card..
eek